Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Look at Heathrow's sunshine hours since September 2020, the last time we had a sunny month. These are the corrected values, not the raw ones. * values are estimated.

Sep 2020: 183.7 hours (117% of 91-20 avg)

Oct 2020: 57.2 hours (50%) - dullest on record

Nov 2020: 48.2 hours (68%)

Dec 2020: 39.1 hours (71%)

Jan 2021: 30.8 hours* (50%) - 2nd dullest on record

Feb 2021: 62.3 hours* (79%)

Mar 2021: 98.6 hours* (79%)

That's a 6 month period with just 66% of the average sunshine.

How far do the records go back at Heathrow? Interestingly February was considerably sunnier here- 84 hours at my local weather station Rostherne. The average at Manchester Airport is 73.9. March was very dull here too.

Posted
23 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Despite a high of 8C a few patches of snow have survived the day. Another frosty night ahead.

Getting really annoying now. Another dumping of snow coming next week. Hate this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Honestly these cold-ish overcast and showery conditions can only be described as dire. It's not cold enough for snow in most areas, and I'd much rather see a return to at least semi-decent temperatures and sunshine anyway. Some people in the model thread (a very small minority) seem to be obsessed with the idea of having a few snow showers in mid-April, but personally I don't see the appeal especially with the easing of lockdown upcoming.

Edited by xSnow

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

QBO strengthened slightly in March (not abnormal to a second peak in a +QBO). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

My Golly. What a complete and utter failed erection this Gaypril is turning out to be. I think anyone with enough of a brain would much rather enjoy the frequent exciting electrical storms and other-wise spring like weather in the USA than "northern blocking" and damp, chilly overcast 7°C non-weather at this time of year. If you're a real weather enthuesiast, that is.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Terrible forecast here today too. Had persistent rain all day so far, which wasn’t forecast anywhere. Another drab and cold April day to add to the collection.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I always look for and usually see the positives in situations and of course, therefore the weather.  But this weather.. no, can't see anything I'm afraid.  6c, spots of rain in the air, no sun - just about as useless as a chocolate oven glove really.  If it's gonna rain, at least rain properly!

Seriously, roll on summer now!

Posted

For such a cool month so far im surprised it's not been wet tbh. I've encountered more snow showers than rain this month. Glad it's not shaping to be an April 2012 style month with it being wet throughout. 

Posted

A lovely day, sunny and 18C. Felt strange given the very last snow patches didn't completely disappear until yesterday.

Similar tomorrow, perhaps 21C on Monday and then... 4C with possible snow on Tuesday. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Britneyfan said:

Well here in south Essex it’s been dry all day, very cloudy and overcast temps at 8 degrees, but not had a drop of rain, in fact I’ve had no rain in April so far 

Yep here in Chelmsford it's getting very arrid and dusty, such a turnaround from the mucky muddy slippy terrain of weeks ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Just like with some others on here, rainfall in my neck of the woods has been very scarce over the last few weeks. Whilst cold weather has been the main feature of the month so far, apart from a bit of light and shortlived rainfall earlier on today as well as a light snowfall a couple of days ago, we haven't had any rain so far this month. I can't remember the last time we had a proper rainy day.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Just like with some others on here, rainfall in my neck of the woods has been very scarce over the last few weeks. Whilst cold weather has been the main feature of the month so far, apart from a bit of light and shortlived rainfall earlier on today as well as a light snowfall a couple of days ago, we haven't had any rain so far this month. I can't remember the last time we had a proper rainy day.

I think the cold dry air has dried things out very quickly. The chalky areas of Salisbury Plain are bone dry and cracked.

I do wonder if a consequence of this dryness will be higher temperatures when we do warm up.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

I think the cold dry air has dried things out very quickly. The chalky areas of Salisbury Plain are bone dry and cracked.

I do wonder if a consequence of this dryness will be higher temperatures when we do warm up.

Yes, it's surprising how quick the ground has dried out during the last couple of weeks.  I think the dryness will encourage higher temperatures later this month into early May.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Blimey two months ago we were commenting (even complaining) how muddy it was!

A combo of low rainfall, dry air, strong sun and breezy conditions has put an end to that and if it continues for much longer we'll have the opposite problem. Looking at the models I'd say we're in for another dry April. 

Posted

When stood outside earlier at 7pm it could have easily been mid November at 4pm if it weren’t for the sound of the birds chirping away.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

A combo of low rainfall, dry air, strong sun and breezy conditions has put an end to that and if it continues for much longer we'll have the opposite problem. Looking at the models I'd say we're in for another dry April. 

It was very muddy where I live two weeks ago!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
27 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Yep - Dry as a bone here. My garden soil is like dust, what you would see in hot weather in high Summer. Due to that, the forest near me, and some heathland is on amber alert for wildfires.

Posted

Hardly anything here either so far this spring. 3.1mm at Bratislava Airport for the whole of March, and a similar amount so far in April. Curiously most of it has been snow. 

I guess the model output is less bad currently, but getting a run of average temps 15/16c looks unlikely anytime soon. Also both GFS and ECM towards the ends of their runs continually signalling the risk of further cool north or north westerlies. Really need something to give the current pattern a kick. I already get the feeling after so long without any raging zonal weather summer will be the time it returns. I feel like we are due a bit of stinker in the south (remember since 2013c Heathrow is averaging over 25c in July) and this year could be the one

Posted

Dry here too. It's ironic that April often seems the least showery month of the year.

I don't feel like the weather has been tooo bad down here recently. Cool/cold, but no maximum below 8C. Tuesday felt coldest with temps varying between 6-8C during the afternoon, windy, and a few sleet/graupel showers (an early morning snow shower also clipped us). Several slight air frosts (lowest -2.8C), but some cloud prevented the lowest potential temps. 

Nowhere is the average April maximum 15-16C though, only some lowland areas in the south had  >13C average maxima in April for 1971-2000.
More widespread for the 1981-2010 average, but at Bournemouth Airport it's 13.5C, and London Heathrow 14.2C. So you could assume that's the average for about the middle of the month, and only towards the end of the month might the average touch 15-16C.
MaxTemp_Average_1971-2000_4.gifMaxTemp_Average_1981-2010_4.gif

I guess if we are happy to lap up those spells where maxima approach 10C+ above average, like the end of March, they have to be balanced out somehow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Still looking good for the rest of April, fingers crossed May continues in the same vein, hopefully the up coming Summer is a normal summer, useable, not spoilt by heat and humidity.

• Like 1