Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted

Those who don't want a warm summer will be complaining if we get a poor summer.. Last summer was poor.. July was terrible. 

I'd love summer like 2018 (minus the fires)  It was lovely and warm and clear without the real humidity.. 

It was a perfect summer for me.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Just checked the temperatures in my bbc weather app, its just a continuous trot of days in singles digits to 10C right out to Middle of April.  I'd take this now than in May or June. 

CFS longer term, just for fun shows a similar pattern this July which looks similar to the July of 2019 and 2020 with GB right beneath low pressure stuck between two wedges of high pressure one to the East and West.  June looks like a decent month. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

Just checked the temperatures in my bbc weather app, its just a continuous trot of days in singles digits to 10C right out to Middle of April.  I'd take this now than in May or June. 

CFS longer term, just for fun shows a similar pattern this July which looks similar to the July of 2019 and 2020 with GB right beneath low pressure stuck between two wedges of high pressure one to the East and West.  June looks like a decent month. 

Yes it's been quite bullish on a July trough for a while. I'm thinking slack and thundery maybe.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Poor outlook short term, poor outlook long term. Really could do without a bad summer given there is so much life that needs to be caught up on. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Interesting day, weather-wise, here in Prague yesterday. Bright and breezy to start, but the wind soon increased and by mid afternoon it was touching gale force with a lot of noise from it roaring through trees. It had clouded over by then, but it was quite mild at 11°C. Within an hour, it started to rain heavily which rapidly turned to snow (which continued into the evening) and the temperature plummeted from 11°C to 1°C, then -2°C a bit later. Cold this morning and very windy, with further snow showers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
7 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Those who don't want a warm summer will be complaining if we get a poor summer.. Last summer was poor.. July was terrible. 

I'd love summer like 2018 (minus the fires)  It was lovely and warm and clear without the real humidity.. 

Last summer was beautiful down here lots of very hot sunny days especially June and august, July was warm enough for me. Would love a repeat, I was down the beach almost everyday from June onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Well yesterday we had a mix of hail and snow at first in the morning but around 12pm it was just snow flurries that continued to fall for about 2 to 3 hours but other then that nothing interesting. I see people saying its like January again, well I don't agree and this is coming for a person who loves heat, when that wind doesn't blow it actually isn't that bad but I definitely prefer the weather we had a week ago it was much nicer.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
9 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

All part of being British. We are never completely happy, no matter what the weather is doing. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Freeze said:

Last summer was beautiful down here lots of very hot sunny days especially June and august, July was warm enough for me. Would love a repeat, I was down the beach almost everyday from June onwards

No, it wasn't that great. We had a very sunny and decent May and early June 2020 started off hot and sunny, which up until that point, was the longest spell of sunny dry days since summer 2018, and one of the best sunny spells for many years.

However, as we moved further into June, many days were cooler or unsettled, and the heat didn't really return until the last week, where we had a few days of 30-33c. 

Then, we had to wait until the last day of July for the hot weather to return, when the temp shot up to 37c in london, and this hot spell continued until the second week of August. Some very hot and thundery days were recorded during this time. It was nice, maybe a little too humid at times. Prior to that, most of July was fairly cloudy and on the cool side at times, and I remember some days barely scraping 20c, which is poor for July in the South east. We also had a mini break in Eastbourne, in the first half of July, and recorded two days with a daily max of only 15-17c, which is still disappointing. The last day was closer to 21c and warmer, but it was a real mixed bag.

The second half of August was also either unsettled or cloudy with disappointing temps.

To balance the argument, I will at least say we had some decent weather between April and September in 2020, and it was a nicer year compared to 2019, on balance.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted

Has anyone noticed that last night was milder than expected? It only briefly touched 0C here this morning and there wasn't a hint of frost on any surfaces- probably due to the extremely dry air and the slight breeze.

I think the concerns about a string of nights well below freezing may be unfounded. Unless the wind drops anyway. Also with the nights being so short now it seems difficult for the temperature to drop far below freezing, even with this cold air mass.

Everything seems ok in the garden so far but may be colder tonight.

Posted
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

No, it wasn't that great. We had a very sunny and decent May and early June 2020 started off hot and sunny, which up until that point, was the longest spell of sunny dry days since summer 2018, and one of the best sunny spells for many years.

However, as we moved further into June, many days were cooler or unsettled, and the heat didn't really return until the last week, where we had a few days of 30-33c. 

Then, we had to wait until the last day of July for the hot weather to return, when the temp shot up to 37c in london, and this hot spell continued until the second week of August. Some very hot and thundery days were recorded during this time. It was nice, maybe a little too humid at times. Prior to that, most of July was fairly cloudy and on the cool side at times, and I remember some days barely scraping 20c, which is poor for July in the South east. We also had a mini break in Eastbourne, in the first half of July, and recorded two days with a daily max of only 15-17c, which is still disappointing. The last day was closer to 21c and warmer, but it was a real mixed bag.

The second half of August was also either unsettled or cloudy with disappointing temps.

To balance the argument, I will at least say we had some decent weather between April and September in 2020, and it was a nicer year compared to 2019, on balance.

I loved Summer 2020 cus of the variety. Thunderstorms, good warm spells especially in August and cool intervals. There was something for everyone. Summer 2018 however, whilst the sunny days were nice, the heat was too much and many sleepless nights occured 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Has anyone noticed that last night was milder than expected? It only briefly touched 0C here this morning and there wasn't a hint of frost on any surfaces- probably due to the extremely dry air and the slight breeze.

I think the concerns about a string of nights well below freezing may be unfounded. Unless the wind drops anyway. Also with the nights being so short now it seems difficult for the temperature to drop far below freezing, even with this cold air mass.

Everything seems ok in the garden so far but may be colder tonight.

Yeah it was forecast to reach -2c here but only reached 0c. Currently 5c which was supposed to be the daily high for today. Could get colder later this week tho

Posted
1 minute ago, Frigid said:

Yeah it was forecast to reach -2c here but only reached 0c. Currently 5c which was supposed to be the daily high for today. Could get colder later this week tho

I think tonight is the night, looks milder on Wednesday and Thursday night with more cloud cover.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
13 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I think tonight is the night, looks milder on Wednesday and Thursday night with more cloud cover.

and lets hope the temperatures continue to go up where we can relax outside without the need to get gloves, hats, thick coats and scarves 

• Like 1

GFS is just getting worse and worse, the 06Z has another reinforcement of cold northerlies right out to the 21st. Looks like we are well and truly stuck in a big rut. Going to be a lot of very cold people sitting out Pubs for a long time....

ECM collapses the high letting the Atlantic through but looks pretty miserable and then even at day 10 looks precarious with it not being hard to imagining another northerly shot!

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

I loved Summer 2020 cus of the variety. Thunderstorms, good warm spells especially in August and cool intervals. There was something for everyone. Summer 2018 however, whilst the sunny days were nice, the heat was too much and many sleepless nights occured 

Summer 2020 was pretty decent and offered a bit of everything; hot days, the odd rainy day, thunderstorms and so on. Erratic weather keeps things interesting in my opinion. As for summer 2018, I enjoyed it for the most part because hot summers aren't all that common in this country and it was nice to experience something different to the usual. Though I must admit, I did become a little bored eventually.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some very heavy snow showers here in Prague today, temperatures hovering at or occasionally just above freezing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can we please swap last spring for this one? What a miserable outlook for April. Feel so sorry for outdoor hospitality.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting that places on the continent are both colder and more snowy today despite a less impressively cold air mass than what is over the UK at the moment.

Here we have had very little precipitation at all over the past 2 days- a few brief snowflakes yesterday morning and a very brief affair earlier this afternoon which was barely noticeable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it's down to reduced continentality and modification of the Arctic airmass over the comparatively warm seas.  I follow the weather of Munich quite closely and their weather looks like it has been similar to Prague with a rain to snow event yesterday and some heavy snow showers today, though in the city the snow has melted during the daytime, sporadically re-accumulating in the heavier showers.

The wind probably helped to keep temperatures near freezing in most parts of the UK overnight,  I'm moving from Exeter to Lincoln this Friday and note that this northerly in Exeter, despite being unusually potent for April, has only been cold enough to deliver sleet and graupel showers.  It clearly takes a pretty exceptional northerly to deliver snow this close to the English Riviera (the December 2010 one managed it, but that was exceptional).  Thus, a rather characteristic non-event for my farewell to Exeter.

Regarding outdoor hospitality I reckon the short term outlook, although nothing like as favourable as last spring, is better for outdoor activities and therefore hospitality than a wet and windy washout.  Pressure looks set to be quite high, so for many, particularly in the west, there will probably be a fair amount of dry and bright if rather chilly weather.  Longer term there are signs on the ECMWF 00Z run that it could turn duller, wetter and windier with a southerly tracking jet stream, but that's still a fair way off.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

This April is already proving to be far more interesting weather wise than last April, much better for the enthusiast! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A local informs me that it did snow in Exeter at about 7am.  I woke up at 7:15 just after it had passed over, so I didn't see it.

• Like 1