Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
16 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

Weather is actually so much better than I expected, the sun really is getting its warmth back! When your not in the breeze, it’s pleasant 

I agree almost 9c wind isn't that strong here either, when the sun's out it's still quite nice. People around here must think the weather forecasters over exaggerate all the time.

Posted
1 hour ago, Seasonal Trim said:

What awful weather to wake up to on an April Spring day. How much longer is this cold going to last?!

Impossible to say as things can change very quickly (as per February this year).  However, I wouldn't be writing April off at this early stage if you like it warm!

Posted
32 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Looking at the GFS ensemble graph and with other models supporting it, probably until the latter third of the month 

Even the ensembles can't be trusted that far out- the final third of the month is the 20th onwards- that's 15 days away. It could easily change before then.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Out of the two transitional seasons, I tend to prefer Autumn,  the early months can still be pleasantly  warm, whereas Spring tends to tease you with the promise of better things to come before kicking you in the   b....cks  once again.

• Like 1

Posted

The one saving grace today is the fact that we have sparkling blue skies here. It's very nice to look out at at least from your heated house. 

An April 2012 scenario would be a lot worse- consistently cold and wet. 2006 also had a fair bit of cold, unpleasant weather early on in the month but it was rarely this gloriously sunny.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Even the ensembles can't be trusted that far out- the final third of the month is the 20th onwards- that's 15 days away. It could easily change before then.

True. Wouldn’t be surprised if we went from Arctic Blast to Spanish Plume in a matter of days given how erratic the weather is acting atm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Hopefully an April 2019 flip will be in order. Somehow I can't see it but fingers crossed. The first two weeks had nagging cold but during the third week it warmed considerably and the third weekend (which was also Easter) was absolutely glorious, in my opinion eclipsing the warm spell of the year before. Of course May 2019 then continued to deliver more cool/cold conditions whereas 2018 we all know what that was like!

Posted

I want the warmer weather now. It’s been a nice dry Easter, and Easter Sunday was nice and sunny, but still a chill in the air. 

Temps in single digits is a bit dismal for April in London. The plus side now though, is we have the longer days. 

Looking forward to when the hot weather arrives and warmer evenings. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
51 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It's very nice to look out at at least from your heated house. 

Central heating on?!....

1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I want the warmer weather now. It’s been a nice dry Easter, and Easter Sunday was nice and sunny, but still a chill in the air. 

Temps in single digits is a bit dismal for April in London. The plus side now though, is we have the longer days. 

Looking forward to when the hot weather arrives and warmer evenings. 

Yep, by the time we get into mid month averages in the south are at least 15c, so to see single digits is a poor poor effort. Sort of equivalent to 16-17c maxes in mid July....

Edited by Alderc

Posted
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

I'd say a wind chill close to zero degrees is a decent reason to have the heating on...

In a insulated house the wind chill at this level makes no difference.....I  washed my car this morning in shorts and a t shirt, was getting a sweat on! But saying that I haven't been out of shorts at all this winter so may be I'm acclimatised more.

Posted

So far the spring forecast from accuweather have been very accurate and they summarized it as "cold lingering" which we have seen with cold shots from time to time with clear repetition. Still may is open for a change but a repeat of 2013 or 2018 seems a long shot right now. 

Kall vårfan.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

So far the spring forecast from accuweather have been very accurate and they summarized it as "cold lingering" which we have seen with cold shots from time to time with clear repetition. Still may is open for a change but a repeat of 2013 or 2018 seems a long shot right now. 

Kall vårfan.jpg

A May 2013 is more likely than a May 2018 if these synoptics continue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
17 minutes ago, MP-R said:

A May 2013 is more likely than a May 2018 if these synoptics continue.

To be fair I'd happily take either of the July's that followed these

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

To be fair I'd happily take either of the July's that followed these

Yes me too! 

I'd gladly take June 2018, July 2013, the first half of August 2018, and the second half of August 2013. 

Not choosy or anything...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, Snowy L said:

I would rather not get hypothermia

i go out walking everyday of the year even when its really cold..this winter when it got down to -53c with the windchill i was still out doing my walk..so six degrees is positively balmy..tee shirt weather here

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Faronstream said:

Kall vårfan.jpg

Good, a repeat of 2018 would not be good at all. The damage caused by that summer is still on going.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 minute ago, markyo said:

Good, a repeat of 2018 would not be good at all. The damage caused by that summer is still on going.

What damage?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Flop today as expected in central parts, not a flake of snow, very little cloud most of the day, pressure too high

Posted

Bright and sunny but too cold to enjoy it as there are bitter winds. It’s not abnormal to have the occasional northerly in April hopefully it won’t last too long. Feels like January out there.

Posted

I’ll go for a 1980 type summer this year. But, with a warm and sunny August and slightly sunnier July, but a very poor June in the offing, which will eat into those long summer evenings. Can also see May being poor this year, but still providing us with a warm sunny final week, and some hot days.

Another summer like 2013, or 2018 would be welcome. 2020 was ok,  but had too many cloudy and cooler days in June and July, and second half of august, outside the very hot days of early august, and a few hot days in June.

However, we fared quite well in the April and May of 2020, which was possibly only rivalled by summer 2018 and 1995 for long dry sunny spells.

Posted
Just now, TheOgre said:

Bright and sunny but too cold to enjoy it as there are bitter winds. It’s not abnormal to have the occasional northerly in April hopefully it won’t last too long. Feels like January out there.

It is nice, from a dry perspective. Plus the atmosphere is still quite fresh, off the back of winter. The dry heat which tends to kick in during late April and May always seems to be accompanied by a fresher feel with clear spells. The humidity seems to follow once we hit late May or early June.

I digress lol. Yes it’s too cold to be walking around in any shirt or light jacket. I wore my winter jacket and hat again. 

19 minutes ago, markyo said:

Lol damage? Possibly the daftest comment on this site including the COVID threads....