Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, Freeze said:

Same here, south coastal locations warm up very quickly and then flatline around midday. Shame really.

Sounds pretty good to me. You don’t have to put up with chilly summer mornings and it doesn’t get too hot during late afternoon. But that’s just me.

Posted
1 hour ago, reef said:

There's been a summer thread for ages. Its just people decide to clog up the spring thread with summer discussion.

Thanks I didn’t know. I guess everyone will be moving over to the summer thread now. 

Edit: Just checked the forum homepage and can’t find it anywhere. Can someone link it for me?

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

It’s been a very mixed spring this year. A mild March, a cold, dry and sunny April and a cold, wet and cloudy May. Very different from last spring when it was just continuous high-pressure from late March to early June, then flipped as soon as we got into the summer...

I believe this will be the coldest spring we’ve had since 2013 (Spring 2013 will probably still be colder due to that exceptionally cold March). As for precipitation I guess around average overall. Not sure about sunshine levels.

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’s been a very mixed spring this year. A mild March, a cold, dry and sunny April and a cold, wet and cloudy May. Very different from last spring when it was just continuous high-pressure from late March to early June, then flipped as soon as we got into the summer...

I believe this will be the coldest spring we’ve had since 2013 (Spring 2013 will probably still be colder due to that exceptionally cold March). As for precipitation I guess around average overall. Not sure about sunshine levels.

I didn't feel March 2021 was mild really. We had a string of days where it was sunny, but I still remember some colder days mixed in. The last few days of March were very mild and sunny. 

I'm being slightly nitpicky, but i will agree its been a cold spring.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I didn't feel March 2021 was mild really. We had a string of days where it was sunny, but I still remember some colder days mixed in. The last few days of March were very mild and sunny. 

indeed, March really didn’t feel all that mild here. i remember March feeling seasonably chilly right up until the final week, and then was “let down” by the final two days. using the 1991-2020 it was only half a degree above average, so perhaps why it felt so normal to me. without that spell it probably would have come in below. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Goodbye spring 2021, a bad memory weather-wise with the relentless cold a marked feature. However, summer 2021 has started off very pleasantly with 21°C, decent sunny spells and light winds. So nice to be able to sit outside, finally

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
24 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Indeed, I feel march’s CET figure was pulled up significantly by a few very mild or warm days - mid month and again late in the month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Max temp here seems to be 23c unless it rises more, as can happen as the breeze drops late afternoon/early evening but i hit 23c at 1 o'clock and it stopped rising as the breeze kicked in. Still a lovely warm start to summer.

Posted

I just hope we won't have 3 months of relentless heat without any rain. 

25 degrees is my upper limit. Above that i start suffering and it feels unpleasant.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I guess that one issue with the warming climate is that it is set to become increasingly difficult to get a dry sunny summer without prolonged heat that is uncomfortable for many, particularly in the SE. 

Since the 1990s, my "ideal" summer has had a frequent Atlantic trough/Euro high type setup with sunshine and low-mid 20s when the high is over the UK, some hot thundery outbreaks (typically mid-high 20s, occasionally low 30s) when the trough comes closer to the west giving southerlies, and some cooler (high teens/low 20s) interludes when breakaway lows move from west to east bringing sunshine and showers with thunder.  However, it's become increasingly apparent to me in recent years that it's getting harder to have a summer like that without getting excessive sustained heat, or brief spells of record breaking heat.  It didn't seem to take much to generate the record-breaking heat of 1 July 2015 or 23 July 2019 for example.  Earlier heatwaves like those in the summers of 1975, 1976, 1990 and 1995 tended to require several days of high pressure and/or hot air coming up from the south to generate the heat, while 1989 was a good example of a dry sunny summer that rarely got particularly hot.

However, the first half of June 2021 could well manage it because we do have this Euro high/Atlantic trough setup and we've just come out of an unusually cool spring for recent years, meaning that SSTs are relatively low, and also the first half of June is usually cooler on average than the rest of the summer.  I do feel for those on the east coast who are feeling the wrath of those low SSTs though.  I used to live in South Shields and they're currently struggling to exceed 13C, even when it's sunny.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

You're right enough, Ian: it took many days for 1976 to achieve its high of 97F; these days it only needs 24 hours! I'm assuming that the intensity/extent/longer duration of heat, over Southern Europe and North Africa has something to do with this?

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

You're right enough, Ian: it took many days for 1976 to achieve its high of 97F; these days it only needs 24 hours! I'm assuming that the intensity/extent/longer duration of heat, over Southern Europe and North Africa has something to do with this?

Think it’s more the setup. Most of our good summers like 1990, 1976, 2018 saw sustained high pressure spells where the heat built slowly in the same we slowly generate our own faux cold in winter. The 2015 and 2019 spells were Essentially Spanish Plumes more comparable to say late May 05 when we hit 32C.

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

It is only May! air still quite cool

The air definitely doesn't feel cool today. It feels very warm. Currently 23°C with 49% humidity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The air definitely doesn't feel cool today. It feels very warm. Currently 23°C with 49% humidity.

June now!

Posted
2 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

indeed, March really didn’t feel all that mild here. i remember March feeling seasonably chilly right up until the final week, and then was “let down” by the final two days. using the 1991-2020 it was only half a degree above average, so perhaps why it felt so normal to me. without that spell it probably would have come in below. 

Yeah I agree it didn't feel that mild either. The first half of the month had temperatures mostly in the single digits here (normal for here but definitely not mild). I'm surprised it came out warmer than last March. If it wasn't for that warm spell at the end we'd have probably come out with average temps.

Posted
1 hour ago, mathematician said:

I just hope we won't have 3 months of relentless heat without any rain. 

25 degrees is my upper limit. Above that i start suffering and it feels unpleasant.

I agree. About 20-23°C is ideal summer weather for me. Anything below 20°C is a bit too cool and anything above 23 or 24°C starts to get too uncomfortable. I'm currently sat out in the garden in direct sunlight and its 23°C with a moderate breeze. It's nice but I wouldn't want it any hotter.

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Yeah, I think the warming over North Africa probably started in the late 1980s. One thing that contributed to that very sunny mild day around Christmas 1987, which was also much warmer than usual across France, even the mountain regions were snowless. The warmth from North Africa must have had a part to play in that.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Indeed, I feel march’s CET figure was pulled up significantly by a few very mild or warm days - mid month and again late in the month.

Yes often the case with the CET. It very often doesn't tell the whole story and an overall warm month can be pulled down by a few significantly colder than average days and vice versa.

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I guess that one issue with the warming climate is that it is set to become increasingly difficult to get a dry sunny summer without prolonged heat that is uncomfortable for many, particularly in the SE. 

Since the 1990s, my "ideal" summer has had a frequent Atlantic trough/Euro high type setup with sunshine and low-mid 20s when the high is over the UK, some hot thundery outbreaks (typically mid-high 20s, occasionally low 30s) when the trough comes closer to the west giving southerlies, and some cooler (high teens/low 20s) interludes when breakaway lows move from west to east bringing sunshine and showers with thunder.  However, it's become increasingly apparent to me in recent years that it's getting harder to have a summer like that without getting excessive sustained heat, or brief spells of record breaking heat.  It didn't seem to take much to generate the record-breaking heat of 1 July 2015 or 23 July 2019 for example.  Earlier heatwaves like those in the summers of 1975, 1976, 1990 and 1995 tended to require several days of high pressure and/or hot air coming up from the south to generate the heat, while 1989 was a good example of a dry sunny summer that rarely got particularly hot.

However, the first half of June 2021 could well manage it because we do have this Euro high/Atlantic trough setup and we've just come out of an unusually cool spring for recent years, meaning that SSTs are relatively low, and also the first half of June is usually cooler on average than the rest of the summer.  I do feel for those on the east coast who are feeling the wrath of those low SSTs though.  I used to live in South Shields and they're currently struggling to exceed 13C, even when it's sunny.

If we get high-pressure centered just to the west of the UK then that should bring plenty of dry, sunny but relatively cool weather (see the image below).

yeah I know the east coast can get very chilly during these high-pressure easterly spells during late spring in early summer! The wind coming off the North Sea can feel really chilly! I was down in that area in late May 2018 and early June 2018 and I experienced a lot of fog and cold weather with temperatures struggling to get above 12/13°C and  in the cold wind felt more like 8 or 9°C. It did warm up later on though. What was funny though is that everyone was dressed for much warmer conditions, I guess geordies just don't feel the cold!

Anyone who hates the heat, should move up to the north east coast. Average summer daytime high in Tynemouth is 18°C and for June it's only 15.6°C!

IMG_0286.PNG

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gcybzz9xh

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

June now!

3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Given how cold April and May have been with no heat whatsoever, the current spell feels alot warmer than had we seen some warm weather say low 20s at some point in April and May, which in any other year we would have had. This time last year we'd seen weeks when many places saw low-mid 20s so current spell would have felt very normal by now..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
4 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Yes, there's evidence that our hot weather sources, particularly in north Africa, have warmed faster than the global average in the summer months (by 2 to 3C since the 1961-1990 period).

If we get high-pressure centered just to the west of the UK then that should bring plenty of dry, sunny but relatively cool weather (see the image below).

If I was still living in Exeter I'd agree with that, but here in Lincolnshire those setups have a habit of bringing low cloud a fair way inland off the North Sea (early June 2013 was a good example).

• Like 1

Posted

yeah I know the east coast can get very chilly during these high-pressure easterly spells during late spring in early summer! The wind coming off the North Sea can feel really chilly! I was down in that area in late May 2018 and early June 2018 and I experienced a lot of fog and cold weather with temperatures struggling to get above 12/13°C and  in the cold wind felt more like 8 or 9°C. It did warm up later on though. What was funny though is that everyone was dressed for much warmer conditions, I guess geordies just don't feel the cold!

Anyone who hates the heat, should move up to the north east coast. Average summer daytime high in Tynemouth is 18°C and for June it's only 15.6°C!

IMG_0286.PNG

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gcybzz9xh

Was surprised by the average rainfall at under 600. That’s very low. Dublin has 760mm, but July average max of 20, with May 15c. North Dublin oddly similar average rainfall to yours, very dry. Great market garden area, average max never falls below 8 in Dublin, but still colder than the west and south. You Geordies are a hardy bunch. Respect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Definitely going to be a warm/hot one today. Already 23c at 10am, I’d expect we will see a 27/28c somewhere this afternoon.