Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
9 hours ago, B87 said:

Or we could have a summer like 1996, which was dry and sunny with near average temperatures.

I would love a summer like that. We are overdue one. Usually it's either cold and wet or if it's sunny it's usually blazing hot.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

I would love a summer like that. We are overdue one. Usually it's either cold and wet or if it's sunny it's usually blazing hot.

Yes, that would do me also!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

This site never changes! Nowhere better than netweather forums if you want a moan about the weather!

This is a moan thread read the page. 87 hours of sunshine to 23rd (Heathrow) that is really dire. We had 310 hours last May of course that was crazy sunny but we are far from even normal at the moment.

Posted
8 hours ago, mb018538 said:

B973E270-C226-474A-A93C-7F0987E51EF9.thumb.jpeg.8a28a5272c90f451731b0d60d1c60d67.jpeg

Think I might move to Verkhoyansk....guaranteed a cold and snowy winter, and in modern times a better summer than the UK too!

2:00 AM sunrise no thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes. An 8 month winter is really the absolute pits. Looking forward to a beautiful October and November to make up for it.

Following a good summer of course, I’d like to order a September like 2003 and an October like 2018. I’m very open to it turning cold in November but after the last two autumns, my emphasis is on sunshine in the duller months.

This May has been really diabolical - worse than 2013 without a doubt here so lots of catching up to do!

• Like 1

Posted

Yesterday we saw a min of 1.4C, then it reached 12.4C at 10:13 this before settling around 10-11C in the rain and wind.

It would probably have been about the same temperature with that set up in December (although I guess that's not too surprising when you consider the sea temperatures are currently similar to December, they are usually their coldest in late Feb/early March).

Max today was 12.8C even with some decent sunny spells, and a heavy shower with hail dropped the temp to 7.2C at 12:15pm.

My May rainfall total now stands at 186mm!

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
14 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

This is a moan thread read the page. 87 hours of sunshine to 23rd (Heathrow) that is really dire. We had 310 hours last May of course that was crazy sunny but we are far from even normal at the moment.

They are the raw values. Heathrow is currently on 50% of the monthly average, which puts the total at about 100 hours (still very poor with only a week to go). The 1991-2020 average for May is 209 hours, meaning we can only get a below average month from here. May 2020 recorded 329.6 hours of sun, and was the sunniest month on record at Heathrow (May 1989 was 2nd, with 310.1 hours).

This month has already recorded 16 rain days, which is about double the May average!

Edited by B87

Posted

Let's hope this summer is better, however with all this northern blocking around, I am doubtful that we are going to get a good summer.

• Like 1

Posted

When we have a dry warm spring we are always talking about paying for it later with drab summer  and it seems to be the case , the weather tends to balance out.    Funny how the reverse seems not to happen as often,

will we have to 'pay' for a having a cool wet spring  by having a dry warm summer ?     hmmmmm  

• Like 1

Posted

It's not looking likely, but there seems to be an outside chance that the Spring high temp could fall this weekend. 

Don't know if it's just me, but I'd be disappointed by this. Given the rubbish we've endured, it seems that the least we could ask for is a statistical anomaly.

• Like 2

Posted

Worst May ever, absolute disgrace. Hope it doesn't rain for another 5 years, see how those cold misery loving gloating expletives like that.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
3 hours ago, IanR said:

When we have a dry warm spring we are always talking about paying for it later with drab summer  and it seems to be the case , the weather tends to balance out.    Funny how the reverse seems not to happen as often,

will we have to 'pay' for a having a cool wet spring  by having a dry warm summer ?     hmmmmm  

All this talk of paying for it is really nonsense. The weather does not "pay back", or care about what happened last year or last month. It merely responds to forcings. What the weather has done over the last two months means nothing as far as what July and August will be like. The UK's climate is dynamic and changeable, and persistance or what happened last month isn't a good predictor in general. All you can really say is that is the climate is steady on short timescales, sooner or later the locked in weather pattern will change, the same as if you keep rolling dice, a six will come up at some point, no matter what's happened on prior rolls.

• Like 3

Walked into town for an eye test as it’s actually quite sunny today. Having not seen the sun in the middle of the day for nearly a month now due to work and a run of wretched weekends it actually took me be surprise how high the sun was in the sky!! Hopefully plenty of sun in the next 12-14weeks..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another day, another pile of steaming cack. Overcast and blowing a hoolie yet again, just had a slightly interesting torrential rain shower but it’s just 11°C at 2pm. Absolutely dreadful.

Signs starting to gather that relief from the dire conditions may only be temporary. Models firming up from the middle of next week that troughing will become anchored over north west Europe leading to a big downturn in surface conditions over the UK. My biggest fear is that this sort of pattern seldom visits the uk for a day or two as last June showed. Hope the green travel list expands quickly, need to escape.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Signs starting to gather that relief from the dire conditions may only be temporary. Models firming up from the middle of next week that troughing will become anchored over north west Europe leading to a big downturn in surface conditions over the UK. My biggest fear is that this sort of pattern seldom visits the uk for a day or two as last June showed. Hope the green travel list expands quickly, need to escape.

Well I do hope this does not come to pass. Am down Bournemouth way playing golf weekend 4th - 6th June and to be fair, I'd just take it being mostly dry at the moment. Can anyone give me a shred of hope to hang on to? 

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

Well I do hope this does not come to pass. Am down Bournemouth way playing golf weekend 4th - 6th June and to be fair, I'd just take it being mostly dry at the moment. Can anyone give me a shred of hope to hang on to? 

Hope the weather holds on for you, at least under any trough it should be too windy I guess. 

Whats courses you playing? 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Hope the weather holds on for you, at least under any trough it should be too windy I guess. 

Whats courses you playing? 

Crane Valley, Isle of Purbeck and Bulbury Woods. Any tips?

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Crane Valley, Isle of Purbeck and Bulbury Woods. Any tips?

All decent courses, Purbeck has stunning views and actually a really good course as long as not too hard (which it clearly won’t be) or too windy. Not a course to be hitting a high ball. I like Bulberry as well, looks great but doesn’t suite my game as I’m not alway straight off the tee! Never played Crane Valley but heard positive things about it. 

46 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Massive downgrade from Met Office. 

Screenshot_20210525_143811.jpg

Disappointing - we’ve all said it, the one summer we needed some help from and our weather. Doesn’t look good does it.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Disappointing - we’ve all said it, the one summer we needed some help from and our weather. Doesn’t look good does it.

It's a real kick in the proverbials. Obviously can't go into macro details but the theme doesn't look great. Obviously still a lot can change but what I don't know however is how accurate these Met Office long rangers are in general and how much notice we should really take of them. Hoping someone with more knowledge than I can assist. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

This is beyond the joke now. Raining again, temp at 12pm 13c,  now down to a dismal 10c.

I've got so much washing to do and I've got no chance of doing it. Gas fire on- like it's February.  Its so depressing for May.