Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just got back from a few days in Cornwall that was partly ruined by the absolutely awful weather. Two of the days were total washouts, the only dry day was too cold to sit outside in. @Backtrack here's looking at you!

Posted

Not too bad of a day here today with it being sunny until mid-afternoon and reaching 16.6C. We then had a shower and it has brightened up again.

It shows how cool it has been as this is almost exactly average for the time of year but felt rather warm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Today has been absolutely dire here. I was expecting quite a few showers but in the event it's been worse. Nearly every time I've looked outside it's been raining, and some of that rain has been pretty heavy. Max today 12.9 °C and much of the time it's been in single figures.

More showers tomorrow, but then... just maybe... something better? Though it's funny that the MetO regional forecast says "Fine, dry and warm on Thursday" - warm means 17 °C, apparently!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

warm means 17 °C, apparently

It certainly does in the strong sunshine at this time of year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
20 minutes ago, markyo said:

It certainly does in the strong sunshine at this time of year!

4 weeks until we're out the other side and we start the journey of tilting away from the sun again  Sun doesn't feel anywhere near as intense come mid August. I can hack heat without that intense feeling of the sun beating down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
31 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Today has been absolutely dire here. I was expecting quite a few showers but in the event it's been worse. Nearly every time I've looked outside it's been raining, and some of that rain has been pretty heavy. Max today 12.9 °C and much of the time it's been in single figures.

More showers tomorrow, but then... just maybe... something better? Though it's funny that the MetO regional forecast says "Fine, dry and warm on Thursday" - warm means 17 °C, apparently!

Fine dry and around average would have done the job. Not sure that 17c at the end of May constitutes warm maybe in February....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
31 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Friday looking wet, and bbc wet here next Mon, but hope not as bad as tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

4 weeks until we're out the other side and we start the journey of tilting away from the sun again  Sun doesn't feel anywhere near as intense come mid August. I can hack heat without that intense feeling of the sun beating down.

I like how you tried to claim you are impartial the other day then posted this it’s ok - we know you love the cold (clue is in the name for starters). Nothing wrong with that, just try to be more honest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

I like how you tried to claim you are impartial the other day then posted this it’s ok - we know you love the cold (clue is in the name for starters). Nothing wrong with that, just try to be more honest

I am impartial when commenting on model output. I can keep bias out fairly easy.

It's no secret I cannot stand heat 26+ without there being some big storms from it. Never made a secret of it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
23 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Thanks for the depressing post!  I LIVE for the spring and have been denied it this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

It's been the most boring season of weather ever here, nothing remotely interesting other than a moderate shower. Torrential showers at least bring some flavour, even if not thundery. I hope summer makes up for it with some heat and thunderstorms.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, sarahng said:

Thanks for the depressing post!  I LIVE for the spring and have been denied it this year!

Yes. An 8 month winter is really the absolute pits. Looking forward to a beautiful October and November to make up for it.

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Yet we get hot weather in August and September..:)  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's the humidity that I don't like, rather than the heat itself. That's why May is my favourite month (usually!) as you can get genuinely warm sunshine, with long daylight hours, but without the sticky, oppressive feel of August. Also without wasps homing in on your drink every time you have a snack outdoors!

• Like 1

Posted

Seeing my breath in London in afternoon in late May is absolutely diabolical. Probably the worst May I've ever experienced worse than 2013. The Heathrow stats say it all Heathrow has seen only 50% of average May sunshine with just a week to go 25-30% of what was seen in May 2020 shocking and it has seemed to have rained every day for last 2 weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
50 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes. An 8 month winter is really the absolute pits. Looking forward to a beautiful October and November to make up for it.

lucky you don't live here! I'm looking at a washout tomorrow, well until 5pm ish anyway

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Don't worry, I'm sure the Faroe islands will be coming to reclaim its climate that the UK has stolen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Seeing my breath in London in afternoon in late May is absolutely diabolical. Probably the worst May I've ever experienced worse than 2013. The Heathrow stats say it all Heathrow has seen only 50% of average May sunshine with just a week to go 25-30% of what was seen in May 2020 shocking and it has seemed to have rained every day for last 2 weeks.

Well even a near average May will compare badly with last May given May 2020 was record breaking for sunshine, but yes I agree, getting to the end of May in Southern England and I still have to dry my laundry on radiators (which I am still occasionally turning on when it gets chilly in the evenings, a record for me for the latest time of the year to use central heating) is just ridiculous. It is no surprise virtually nothing, not even weeds, grew on my allotment in April when the CET was lower than March. All we need now is an August like 2008 followed by locked in raging northerlies from September to November to really give us a sample of a sub-polar climate.

Posted
17 minutes ago, al78 said:

Don't worry, I'm sure the Faroe islands will be coming to reclaim its climate that the UK has stolen.

Like it. I'm no expert on charts and all that but every time a new set of charts are unveiled UK is the only place in the entire Northern Emhisphere that appears under a blob of cold. Everywhere else is sizzling in 30c heat. We get 14c and a few showers and a NW wind coming down from 25c Iceland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 hours ago, Nick L said:

Just got back from a few days in Cornwall that was partly ruined by the absolutely awful weather. Two of the days were total washouts, the only dry day was too cold to sit outside in. @Backtrack here's looking at you!

To be fair the weather has been awful pretty much everywhere in the UK recently.

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

Well even a near average May will compare badly with last May given May 2020 was record breaking for sunshine, but yes I agree, getting to the end of May in Southern England and I still have to dry my laundry on radiators (which I am still occasionally turning on when it gets chilly in the evenings, a record for me for the latest time of the year to use central heating) is just ridiculous. It is no surprise virtually nothing, not even weeds, grew on my allotment in April when the CET was lower than March. All we need now is an August like 2008 followed by locked in raging northerlies from September to November to really give us a sample of a sub-polar climate.

Well the weather always makes up for itself. And I guess we are paying for that lovely spring now. Maybe the solar  minimum is finally starting to have an effect on our climate.  But I know they'll be one member on here who will be very, very happy this spring. No prizes for guessing who that is….

Spoiler: Username begins with M and ends with O.

Posted
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

This site never changes! Nowhere better than netweather forums if you want a moan about the weather!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

It will feel warm compared to what we've had though. Today hasn't been too bad here, very cool yes as every day has this month but not seen any rain and we've had some sunny spells.