Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It wasn't so bad for the first half of today here. By the horribly low standards of this May, that is. I mean, it didn't start raining until after lunch, though from then on it rarely stopped.

I know people in the model thread are saying not to get too excited about high teens and a few showers here and there... but tbh that sounds like heaven compared with what we have now! With the strength of the sun at this time of year, 18 °C will feel very warm if A) it's sunny and B) there isn't a gale blowing. So I'll damn well get a bit excited!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I'll say lack of wind and precipitation is most crucial for pleasant conditions followed by cloud cover then temperatures. 

Day A: strong breeze, light rain, 100% cloud, 18c = grotty

Day B: calm, clear, 18c = beautiful 

I use 18c as an example but I definitely prefer mid-20s or higher simply because you're around 20c in the evening. 

We won't be seeing that for some time, but I'll certainly take the forecast later this week!

Posted
9 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Trees are lagging behind this year, especially the ash trees. May 23 and many are still bare.

Yes. I've hardly seen any bees. I wonder where they go when it's like this all the time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
22 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes. I've hardly seen any bees. I wonder where they go when it's like this all the time.

I know what you mean. They've probably gone elsewhere where there's more of a buzz....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Feels raw outside. Just got clobbered with a hail shower. Full woolly hat, gloves and coat job out there. If only I brought them

Wretched. 

Posted

A rotten May. Even if the weather improves for the late bank holiday, this May will go down as one of the worst in recent years, and probably one of the worst for the past 45. 

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Well anyone who posts such things 2-3 months before a season is over (it's worse in winter for sure) needs their head testing. You simply can't predict anything that far away.

I don't remember seeing one single forecast for the one of the driest and sunniest Aprils on record swiftly followed by one of the wettest and coolest Mays?

This summer I think has 1987 written all over it. The cooler start to the year, with snow across most parts of the country, despite some areas missing out, and the continuation of colder days lingering into spring. The brief warm spell in the last few days of March, the very sunny and dry but cold April, followed by a cold and damp May. 

June could be a month of two halves, with cool weather for the first half, before it turns hot and sunny mid month. 

Posted

If I remember correctly in 1976 we went to devon on the old whitsun holiday travelled to Torquay horrendous traffic jam very hot and ice cream being sold to cars in the jam it then carried on to give us weeks of scorching hot weather right through to September.

Posted
16 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Rather dismal temps for late May to say the least. Hard to believe that it's almost June.

As for the rain itself, whilst I very much welcomed it at first after the dry April we have had, I am getting a little fed up of it now and I desperately need to cut the grass (not wise to use a lawnmower on wet grass) which at this rate will end up being taller than my house. 

Certainly quite a contrast to May of last year - talk about one extreme to the other. I just wish we didn't get so many blocking patterns and instead have more variable weather like we used to.

As the grass usually doesn't grow when the temperature is below 10C you need it to be colder than it has been. Then you won't need to cut it in the wet

• Like 1

It’s another rotten day, max yesterday was only 13c, only looks like a 12c max today’s. Feels absolutely freezing. People keep saying, ‘it’s not too bad in the sun’ but we haven’t seen the sun in the middle of the day since last Wednesday and that is absolutely no exaggeration. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Would be happy if this came off. I think even the heat haters would be, as it's comfortable without being hot.

pjatiRK.png

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

This summer I think has 1987 written all over it. The cooler start to the year, with snow across most parts of the country, despite some areas missing out, and the continuation of colder days lingering into spring. The brief warm spell in the last few days of March, the very sunny and dry but cold April, followed by a cold and damp May. 

June could be a month of two halves, with cool weather for the first half, before it turns hot and sunny mid month. 

Or we could have a summer like 1996, which was dry and sunny with near average temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted

I think even 17c will feel warm compared to what the last 2 months have thrown at us! We just had a downpour about an hour ago and the temp was down to 7c during it. That would not be out of place in mid January . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, B87 said:

Would be happy if this came off. I think even the heat haters would be, as it's comfortable without being hot.

pjatiRK.png

Just the thought of warm evenings, beers outside without hundreds of layers!!! 

Posted
1 hour ago, wellington boot said:

If we ignore those contrasts for a moment and entertain the model, then the good news is that 1987 looks like a decent summer from the charts, particularly in the South, and all the way through to October. Frequently HP dominated, plenty of sun and warmth. Occasional disruption from upper lows and intrusions from the Atlantic, as you would expect.

Was 1987 not one of the worst summers of the 1980s? The stats for London at least show it as a very cool, cloudy and quite wet summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It got up to 16C in Lincoln in the sun earlier, though it's now down at 10C following a heavy shower.  I guess those further south have been under the cloudier skies and showers since the beginning of the day, doesn't look like there's much sun in between them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign
12 minutes ago, B87 said:

Was 1987 not one of the worst summers of the 1980s? The stats for London at least show it as a very cool, cloudy and quite wet summer.

It was quite mixed here. Very poor June, decent first half of July, then the rest of the summer was quite mixed. Got a lot worse the further north you went, IIRC

Average max temp here so far this month is only 14.4c, that’s 3c below average. Only one day has reached avg, only 90hrs of sun (47% average) and a whopping 98mm of rain so far and only 1 dry day!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
45 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Average max temp here so far this month is only 14.4c, that’s 3c below average. Only one day has reached avg, only 90hrs of sun (47% average) and a whopping 98mm of rain so far and only 1 dry day!! 

B973E270-C226-474A-A93C-7F0987E51EF9.thumb.jpeg.8a28a5272c90f451731b0d60d1c60d67.jpeg

Think I might move to Verkhoyansk....guaranteed a cold and snowy winter, and in modern times a better summer than the UK too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Actually almost hitting average temperatures here (18°C currently) and there’s less wind, at last. Though a fairly thick layer of altostratus is ruining the sunshine, unfortunately. But it’s an improvement!

Posted

12C and lashing it down at 4pm. A reminder that the average high here for this time of year is about 22-23C.

I'm really at my wits' end now. I can't go for my walks in nature because everything is muddy and many routes are simply impassable. Then there's the conundrum of trying to dry clothes and keep the flat warm without proper heating (the gas for the radiators has been stopped, because it shouldn't be needed this close to summer). Such crud.

Posted
17 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Trees are lagging behind this year, especially the ash trees. May 23 and many are still bare.

Absolutely. Just that you mentioned Ash. I hope that is not Ash dieback. You can check out google, but by September 2018 it was at 49% spread in the UK. So it is possible that is what you are seeing.