Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
13 hours ago, danm said:

The quicker we see the back of this month, the better. I can’t remember such a cool and wet May. How anyone can enjoy this weather at this time of year is beyond me.

It probably varies from location to location, but during the period 5-19 May I enjoyed having five thunder days in the space of 15.  I'd ideally have liked the dull days in that period to be substituted with sunny ones, especially that wet and windy washout Bank Holiday, but I certainly found some aspects of that weather enjoyable.  I can't find anything to enjoy about yesterday's and today's weather though, I agree with the sentiments about it being more like late October out there.  One could argue that at least it's unusual for the time of year, but as we already had weather like this on the Bank Holiday even that novelty has gone.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
17 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I mean you can technically sunbathe in a blizzard but why on earth would you want to?

No you can't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Currently 12c and cloudy, gusting to 73km/h. This would be bad for November, let alone May!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

You can, but I don't enjoy it. What's the point in spending 30 quid to trudge round for 4 hours in the soaking wet? I've done it before and it ain't for me. Not enjoyable at all, anyone who says otherwise is lying  

Don't mind the odd shower that an umbrella can solve while playing, but steady and persistent rain and I'm out of there. Fair weather golfer perhaps!

Fair enough. I feel the same about hillwalking, can't see the point in expending a lot of energy hiking up a hill/mountain to see nothing but driving rain. That happens a lot in the Scottish highlands.

I used to play golf 25 years ago and my father and I played in the winter league at our club. Played in all weather except snow.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

I can't verify the truth of this, but if it is, it sums up this month so far. It starts off by claiming April was the coldest since 1922, when it was actually the coldest minimum temperature since 1922, so that's not a good sign.

little-ice-age-e1620382223749.jpg
ELECTROVERSE.NET

Following its coldest APRIL since 1922, England is now on for its coldest MAY since record-keeping began some 362 years ago.

It was actually the coldest April CET minimum on record. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, B87 said:

Currently 12c and cloudy, gusting to 73km/h. This would be bad for November, let alone May!

Sadly, it does seem to happen a lot. In recent years, there have been lows like this one batter the southern half of the UK in June. Nothing I hate more than this type of weather in late spring/summer, wind is vile

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I had a check of the records for nearby RAF Waddington and in records going back to 1949, only 1962, 1969 and 1983 failed to reach 20C in either April or May, so it's pretty unusual even up here, and more of a stretch in this era of elevated global temperatures.  It won't be setting any records for "latest 20C in the year" though thanks to that very warm spell in late March.  That said, looking at the latest ECMWF run in particular there's a chance of the high pressure in the last two or three days of May getting just far east enough for it to get to around 20C.

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I mean you can technically sunbathe in a blizzard but why on earth would you want to?

You can do many things without clothes in the snow....

5-points-of-contact.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Unusually cold for late May. Currently 8C, gusty, and very wet. Last May was far more settled than this one.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
7 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

This sort of weather does happen sometimes, always has.

The infamous weather of early June 1944 is a good example.

Good to know it’s not the worst ever, but it’s certainly as bad as I can remember.  Anyway, let’s hope it’s a one-off and not the new normal

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Have to slap myself into believing this is May not October...not often at this time of the year we get windy weather like this but saying that we had a short spell at the beginning of the month a bit like this, roll on calm sunny warm days with the odd bit of convection would be good!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 3

Posted
19 hours ago, Eugene said:

The mildies got their wish and a few weeks ago were celebrating the warmer 850 hPa temp profile this May, it's coming back to haunt them now with all the crap wet weather, hard to feel any sympathy for them. 

If this was mid winter the current temps would be classed as 'mild'  and being a mildy myself I dont mind the current temps , good for sleeping !   I hate extreme cold and I hate high summer heat ,  I like it 'mild'       you should be gloating at the very hot weather lovers !   , but I fear some heat will eventually  get us later in the summer   

Posted
4 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Unusually cold for late May. Currently 8C, gusty, and very wet. Last May was far more settled than this one.

Not a normal May this year, cold and wet not often May delivers both, 2013 last time, but this one looking colder.. 1996 was cold but drier. Feeling like a April 12.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks absolutely woeful for here again. No sign of anything approaching 20c for the next 2 weeks. We should really be seeing 20c daily by late May and early June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Just catching up on the models. UKMO decent in the short term and ECM looking much better in its latter stages. Atrocious today, but some promise going forward. Looking forward to posting about weather rather than COVID.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Not a normal May this year, cold and wet not often May delivers both, 2013 last time, but this one looking colder.. 1996 was cold but drier. Feeling like a April 12.

best month of year for that area normally, not been that bad here, Aug/Sept normally the best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Absolutely atrocious weather at the moment.?

Here’s what we were having this time last year!☀ Oh Spring 2020 do I miss you

IMG_3719.thumb.jpg.b1c349a0bf30311bbdb6012ec6185075.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

BBC Weather news 24 which comes on at 21:55 and ends up with an outlook just said there is 'just a hint' of something better coming along next Thursday (27th) but it is still a 'long way off'. Well that really filled me with deep joy. As for today the only good thing was the sky changed from a dark grey to a light grey as the day wore on during relentless rain. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

best month of year for that area normally, not been that bad here, Aug/Sept normally the best

Yes its why I'm rather dispondent, generally May is our best month guarantee for sustained settled conditions, not always, but more likelt than in July and especially August. Perhaps we might see best conditions reserved for second half of summer, 1995 brought a change in fortune after a topsy turvy May and first half to June, 2013 likewise, we've become more accustomed in recent years of best conditions May - mid July.

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester Airport hasn't registered anything above 16c this month which is bizarre, and that theme looks to continue for the remainder of May. I thought May 2015 was cool but this is something else...

Edited by Frigid

Posted

Backtracked to continued poor conditions for the time of year. Feels like it will never warm up. Average won't be good enough after this 8 week cold spell.

CYVNRrT.png

2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes its why I'm rather dispondent, generally May is our best month guarantee for sustained settled conditions, not always, but more likelt than in July and especially August. Perhaps we might see best conditions reserved for second half of summer, 1995 brought a change in fortune after a topsy turvy May and first half to June, 2013 likewise, we've become more accustomed in recent years of best conditions May - mid July.

Do you think that La Nina and low solar activity have been responsible (or at least a contributing factor) for the below average temperatures of the past 8 weeks?

Posted
2 hours ago, Britneyfan said:

Okay so my spring highs in south Essex 

March: 23°

April: 17° 

May: 21° 

I suppose could be worse, at least 2 days 20 or above

What date in May did you record 21C?