Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
7 hours ago, Eugene said:

The mildies got their wish and a few weeks ago were celebrating the warmer 850 hPa temp profile this May, it's coming back to haunt them now with all the crap wet weather, hard to feel any sympathy for them. 

What are you on about? No one has 'celebrated' the 850 hPa temp profile. The green snot has still been very much present this month 

The 850 hPa temps have been below average throughout the month and it's been incredibly cloudy and unsettled.

Have you been looking at a different set of charts to everyone else? No idea how you think it could feel any fresher in late May.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
23 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

From NOAA's climate predicition centre.

Rostherne's mean temperature near Manchester Airport since the 2nd April

6rhkhI7.pnglcz8kg7.png

I think some people might gnash their teeth when they take a gander at the GFS this morning...

Shows a short warmer spell then back to N blocking and Northerlies.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I think some people might gnash their teeth when they take a gander at the GFS this morning...

Any return to northerlies is well in FI from what I can see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I honestly can't remember any Spring I have felt better in than this current one, good nights for sleeping, hayfever low, plenty of days of useable clear blue skies with a lovely fresh breeze. For me it will certainly go down as one of the best....and cheapest, no aircon on at home!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

image.thumb.png.eb42bef7fee674ab13b841e0e3903e1f.png

Good job the 00z op run was a pile of garbage then eh! Far too pessimistic IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eugene said:

The mildies got their wish and a few weeks ago were celebrating the warmer 850 hPa temp profile this May, it's coming back to haunt them now with all the crap wet weather, hard to feel any sympathy for them. 

What warmer 850temps? They are currently 4-5C below average and have been almost the entire month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
8 hours ago, danm said:

The quicker we see the back of this month, the better. I can’t remember such a cool and wet May. How anyone can enjoy this weather at this time of year is beyond me.

What a noisy, almost violent night we had here last night.  The kind of weather I expect in November or even January.  I can’t help worrying that this increased turbulence in the atmosphere is caused by climate change and that, if so, it is only going to get worse in years to come.  I hate to think how bad future winter storms could get if this is what we can now expect in early summer.  Must get my roof repaired before the winter or I might be in trouble....

• Like 1

Well it was completely justified to cancel golf today a couple of days back its just unbelievably stormy for late mate outside. The sooner this month is over and done with the better to be honest, although little certainty June will be any better.  

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

What a noisy, almost violent night we had here last night.  The kind of weather I expect in November or even January.  I can’t help worrying that this increased turbulence in the atmosphere is caused by climate change and that, if so, it is only going to get worse in years to come.  I hate to think how bad future winter storms could get if this is what we can now expect in early summer.  Must get my roof repaired before the winter or I might be in trouble....

This sort of weather does happen sometimes, always has.

The infamous weather of early June 1944 is a good example.

• Like 3

Posted

Winds gusting to around 40mph yesterday and some rain for a few hours and temperatures 9C most of the day.

Far from the worst May storm we've had and actually relatively benign and okay to be out in it. 

Much better than those storms where it is 16C + and you get saturated in your waterproof from the inside.

I was expecting far worse considering the build up it got.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I honestly can't remember any Spring I have felt better in than this current one, good nights for sleeping, hayfever low, plenty of days of useable clear blue skies with a lovely fresh breeze. For me it will certainly go down as one of the best....and cheapest, no aircon on at home!

For me, at least, that is the key. In April, cold as it was the sunshine was welcome. While I appreciate it's been a bit better further north, down here in Worcs we haven't had useable clear blue skies. We've had grey murk. Frankly I'd rather have hayfever, and I'm saying that as a sufferer myself! If we go back to clear northerlies in the medium term, with cool temps but plenty of sunshine, then I'll take that, though.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Well it was completely justified to cancel golf today a couple of days back its just unbelievably stormy for late mate outside. The sooner this month is over and done with the better to be honest, although little certainty June will be any better.  

Feel your pain buddy! I was out on the course playing Wednesday afternoon. We dodged a monster storm by about 1-2 miles at about 5pm, then as I was on the 14th hole this was rolling in for a direct hit. Picture doesn't really do it justice, the sky was jet black, it got very gloomy and the air temperature dropped markedly. Could see the rain belting down in the distance and knew we didn't have long. Got to the 17th, hit my tee shot and it hosed it down. Thunder started rumbling so we had to peg it through the torrential rain to a shelter rather than be huddled under a tree in a storm! 30 minutes later it was safe enough to play a sopping wet 18th!

This weather recently has really naffed up my golf schedule. Can't plan anything as it could rain at any time with all these storms about.

storm.thumb.jpg.da2d3eff7d8b3c33eeb25c069e3ee4bc.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I can't verify the truth of this, but if it is, it sums up this month so far. It starts off by claiming April was the coldest since 1922, when it was actually the coldest minimum temperature since 1922, so that's not a good sign.

little-ice-age-e1620382223749.jpg
ELECTROVERSE.NET

Following its coldest APRIL since 1922, England is now on for its coldest MAY since record-keeping began some 362 years ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
36 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Feel your pain buddy! I was out on the course playing Wednesday afternoon. We dodged a monster storm by about 1-2 miles at about 5pm, then as I was on the 14th hole this was rolling in for a direct hit. Picture doesn't really do it justice, the sky was jet black, it got very gloomy and the air temperature dropped markedly. Could see the rain belting down in the distance and knew we didn't have long. Got to the 17th, hit my tee shot and it hosed it down. Thunder started rumbling so we had to peg it through the torrential rain to a shelter rather than be huddled under a tree in a storm! 30 minutes later it was safe enough to play a sopping wet 18th!

This weather recently has really naffed up my golf schedule. Can't plan anything as it could rain at any time with all these storms about.

storm.thumb.jpg.da2d3eff7d8b3c33eeb25c069e3ee4bc.jpg

You can play golf in the rain, just put waterproofs on. Thunderstorms are different and you have to take your own risk assessment.

Posted
46 minutes ago, al78 said:

You can play golf in the rain, just put waterproofs on. Thunderstorms are different and you have to take your own risk assessment.

You can, but I don't enjoy it. What's the point in spending 30 quid to trudge round for 4 hours in the soaking wet? I've done it before and it ain't for me. Not enjoyable at all, anyone who says otherwise is lying  

Don't mind the odd shower that an umbrella can solve while playing, but steady and persistent rain and I'm out of there. Fair weather golfer perhaps!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Not long arrived in Amsterdam Schipol airport on my way home from Heathrow to Prague. Was pretty nasty at Heathrow but Amsterdam is copping it a fair bit worse, if it’s any consolation (as Benelux often does, being largely flatter). But there’s no doubt about it, it’s November weather and utterly grim. May has certainly been pretty awful, so far. Hopefully, a boiling hot summer to come

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

You can, but I don't enjoy it. What's the point in spending 30 quid to trudge round for 4 hours in the soaking wet? I've done it before and it ain't for me. Not enjoyable at all, anyone who says otherwise is lying  

Don't mind the odd shower that an umbrella can solve while playing, but steady and persistent rain and I'm out of there. Fair weather golfer perhaps!

Scotland invented Golf (sort of) and it rains a LOT up here. Imagine the first golfers had that attitude, the game wouldn't exist

When I used to play I used to enjoy the water trapped beneath the fairway that acted like a trampoline when you walked on it. Made the stance for a shot a little wobbly.

Then I got into hillwalking and winter mountaineering and realised that the rain and wind (and hail and sleet) I experienced on the golf course was mere child's play compared to what was happening a little higher up.

Edited by The real Lomond snowstorm
missed a word out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Absolute shock, are those normal conditions for the time of year I see starting to appear in the 2nd week? Unbelievable!

q650YxV.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I had a nightmare last night that summer '21 was the worst in any living memory, probably triple worst of 2012.  Then I woke up and checked the charts and i instantly got that gut feeling that my nightmares are about to come true. I think this May will be the wettest on record and coldest in nearly 40 years as some news outlets are reporting. 

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

I can't verify the truth of this, but if it is, it sums up this month so far. It starts off by claiming April was the coldest since 1922, when it was actually the coldest minimum temperature since 1922, so that's not a good sign.

little-ice-age-e1620382223749.jpg
ELECTROVERSE.NET

Following its coldest APRIL since 1922, England is now on for its coldest MAY since record-keeping began some 362 years ago.

It's nowhere near the coldest according to the CET which represents England. Unless we get something really remarkable in the last 10 days anyway. I'm not sure where they're getting their figures from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

For Heathrow, this is currently the 8th coldest May on record. April was the 7th coldest on record. The early 1950s to early 1960s had some absolutely disgusting Aprils.

1996: 10.5c

1984: 10.9c

1975: 11.0c

1955: 11.0c

1951: 11.0c

1962: 11.1c

1968: 11.2c

2021: 11.4c

1957: 11.4c

1963: 11.5c

Edited by B87

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

I mean you can technically sunbathe in a blizzard but why on earth would you want to?

• Like 3