Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, al78 said:

How many years has the highest Spring temperature been recorded in March?

Had a quick look and it looks like a couple at best.Need a little more info but possibly 1965 and 1968.I dont know wether that was on a national level or just local but i guess locally there could be more.

11 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Had a quick look and it looks like a couple at best.Need a little more info but possibly 1965 and 1968.I dont know wether that was on a national level or just local but i guess locally there could be more.

Well looking at this morning any lingering hope of a May warm up are dead in the water. Would bet my house we aren’t going to topple the 24.5c from March. Awful, awful outlook.

Was 25c in Moscow at midnight last night....it’s a sorry state of affairs when Moscow is warmer at midnight than any point in Spring here...

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

The wait goes on. And on. And on.

Whatever happens from here, it's going to feel like a very short season of warmer temps and longer days before autumn catches up with us. Maybe we'll get lucky with September and October as compensation.

My parents live in SW France and have only recently stopped using the wood burner. Anyone claiming that's a normal Spring pattern needs a reality check!

Just desperately poor luck given recent times.

• Like 1

Posted

I am particularly looking forward to Sunday 23rd May . Met Office showing a sizzling 10c max , heavy rain and 35mph gusts of wind. And to think I bought a new pair of shorts and a retro t shirt with 'The Jam' on it back in March in anticipation of a bit of warmth. But come on. 10c max a week before summer is a festering pile of puke.

• Like 1

Posted

I could have done without checking the model thread this morning! Yesterday brought a little hope, but the main Ops this morning are looking pretty dire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
12 hours ago, hillbilly said:

1965 was not. 28.9C (the highest temp of the year) was achieved in May. The March and April maxima were equal in 1968 (25.6C was achieved at Santon Downham and Camden Square on 21st April). 1968 is the closest it has come since at least 1961 so 2021 would be extremely notable if this were the case.

Posted
9 minutes ago, BruenSryan said:

1965 was not. 28.9C (the highest temp of the year) was achieved in May. The March and April maxima were equal in 1968 (25.6C was achieved at Santon Downham and Camden Square on 21st April). 1968 is the closest it has come since at least 1961 so 2021 would be extremely notable if this were the case.

It does seem if March this year has the highest temps of the spring it could indeed be unprecedented,certainly in modern times,however it is worth noting that in local areas it certainly is not the case.It is recorded that Whitby's highest temp of the entire Year in 1965 was in March and there are many other years where March could have been the warmest day of Spring but missed out by a couple of warmer days in Aptil or May but overall some of those years could have been worse than the spring we have just had.It certainly has been cool but the rainfall and wet days have not been really bad. March for instance i would take what we have had over a wet and warm one.Many are predicting a shocking summer after this poor spring but i for one would take this Spring every year if we had a very good summer.There have been many times in the height of Summer when we have had drizzle or rain at 12 degrees here in the Pennines,worse than what we have been having recently,that will be my time to Moan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think 2012 came close to it, but the warm/hot spell at the end of May prevented it.  March was the sunniest month of that year in some spots though.

Posted

From a meteorological point of view it has been a very interesting spring but as a lover of warm weather it has been dire. This May is easily the worst I can remember by some distance, sick of it now! 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Summer18 said:

From a meteorological point of view it has been a very interesting spring but as a lover of warm weather it has been dire. This May is easily the worst I can remember by some distance, sick of it now! 

You cannot have been around in the 80s then,there were some shockers then particularly 1983 which was cool,extremely wet and very dull.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

You cannot have been around in the 80s then,there were some shockers then particularly 1983 which was cool,extremely wet and very dull.

I remember that one well, @hillbilly: it was cold and grotty with the only 'plus' being able to watch C-G lightning strikes, from my office. I think daytime maximum temperatures were around 13C? An 'orrible month!

• Like 2

Posted

The forecast for the weekend is rain with 10C. This is the worst May I’ve ever known. I think 2015 was a bad one also and that summer was quite poor.

The BBC is forecasting a cold wet June on their monthly outlook

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
1 hour ago, Summer18 said:

May's of recent years have been pretty good...generally dry, fairly warm and sunny though I do remember quite a thundery one a few years back, this one has shaken us out of our boots.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
7 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

May's of recent years have been pretty good...generally dry, fairly warm and sunny though I do remember quite a thundery one a few years back, this one has shaken us out of our boots.

We did go quite a few years without a decent May, from 2011 to 2018.

I really hope conditions return to normal or better soon. Ideally 3 months of 25-30c days with a few heat spikes and thunderstorms.

Posted
1 hour ago, TheOgre said:

The forecast for the weekend is rain with 10C. This is the worst May I’ve ever known. I think 2015 was a bad one also and that summer was quite poor.

The BBC is forecasting a cold wet June on their monthly outlook

Absolutely shocking. I bet this summer will make the 2007-2012 period look acceptable!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I must admit that I don't remember a worse May since perhaps 2010. It's the complete lack of warmth that has done it for me, most may-sep months see at least one stray spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

say what u want with the terrible temperatures and lack of sunshine but this May COULD be much worse as in ever day could be overcast but we're at least getting some interesting weather which is the storms (unless your location has just been dodging them then i'm sorry )

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

I must admit that I don't remember a worse May since perhaps 2010. It's the complete lack of warmth that has done it for me, most may-sep months see at least one stray spell.

May 2014 was poor despite being warmer than average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, B87 said:

Absolutely shocking. I bet this summer will make the 2007-2012 period look acceptable!

I think 2018 was pretty good wasn't it? most of that Spring and early Summer was dry, warm and sunny if I remember rightly as I semi-retired from work to look after my late father that year. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Froze were the Days said:

I think 2018 was pretty good wasn't it? most of that Spring and early Summer was dry, warm and sunny if I remember rightly as I semi-retired from work to look after my late father that year. 

2018 was the 2nd best summer in the entire record at Heathrow! I'd be happy if this summer goes the way of 2014 though. Despite only scraping to 30c on one day all summer (30.3c the warmest day), July managed to average almost 26c! Very stable warmth rather than any heat that year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Better temperatures at Heathrow today (it nearly scraped average earlier) and without too many showers, though still below par. 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

say what u want with the terrible temperatures and lack of sunshine but this May COULD be much worse as in ever day could be overcast but we're at least getting some interesting weather which is the storms (unless your location has just been dodging them then i'm sorry )

Sorry but I don't find 3 and a half weeks of endless wind rain and cold the least bit interesting. It is just rubbish and should be immediately consigned to the nearest dustbin. 

• Like 1

Probably the best three or four hours of weather this year, the winds dropped out and temps up to nearly 18c meaning we’ve officially reached our May max for the first time this month. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
42 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Sorry but I don't find 3 and a half weeks of endless wind rain and cold the least bit interesting. It is just rubbish and should be immediately consigned to the nearest dustbin. 

that's why I put in brackets if you're in an unlucky location to not experience anything since the start of May, I too want warmth and a lot of sunshine like everyone else.

Edited by Atmogenic

Posted
3 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

that's why I put in brackets if you're in an unlucky location to not experience anything since the start of May, I too want warmth and a lot of sunshine like everyone else.

Ok. Fair enough.