Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted

Day 974. 

The endless tapestry of featureless beige cloud has finally began to clear 10 minutes before sunset. I no longer remember a day where I wasn’t cold. When walking the dog earlier, I waded through ankle deep mud bogs which were supposed to be footpaths. The foliage is either bare or looks weak and stunted - even an orange tint to some leaf cover - has autumn arrived in May?

Also I was out for an hour with the dog and it did not stop hammering it down the entire time. The missus put gloves on because you know, it’s nearly summer afterall.

I’ve seen the volcanic summer in our future and it terrifies me. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

same in 7 months

Genuinely think it might be a bit warmer come November/December. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I have to wonder if people moaned this much back in the old & cold days. (not a snipe, a genuine thought since weather like this was more common then). 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
18 minutes ago, Azazel said:

certainly thinking best of this summer will be mid Aug to mid Oct

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
19 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

I have to wonder if people moaned this much back in the old & cold days. (not a snipe, a genuine thought since weather like this was more common then). 

I don't know, but probably one place to look might be Samuel Pepys's diary. Philip Eden wrote a little article about Pepys' comments on the weather here:

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip-eden/Samuel-Pepys.htm

It seems from other somewhat fragmentary sources that 1663 was a pretty poor year: wet and cold, with considerable flooding, from late April until at least July. Then cold and wet again in September/October, with snow in places during October.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
3 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

I don't know, but probably one place to look might be Samuel Pepys's diary. Philip Eden wrote a little article about Pepys' comments on the weather here:

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/reports/philip-eden/Samuel-Pepys.htm

It seems from other somewhat fragmentary sources that 1663 was a pretty poor year: wet and cold, with considerable flooding, from late April until at least July. Then cold and wet again in September/October, with snow in places during October.

I happen to be viewing the CET page & 1663 does look most unsavoury. Cold (not exceptinally so) winter followed by a cold spring & rather average summer, then a very cold autumn. Thankfully, the winter that followed of 1663/1664 was mild. I'm sure he would have been grateful for that!

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Was it December 28th 2019 or something got to 19c in Eastern Scotland?  Just shows the bonkers climate we have in UK. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I wouldn't be surprised if the warmest day throughout the whole of spring this year ends up being in March. Quite shocking really.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
37 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the warmest day throughout the whole of spring this year ends up being in March. Quite shocking really.

It's looking that way at the moment, of course still time to change. Can't think of many instances where a March temperature ended up being the highest in the whole of Spring. Quite odd.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Was it December 28th 2019 or something got to 19c in Eastern Scotland?  Just shows the bonkers climate we have in UK. 

I think it was around 15c. The thing is, even with all the very mild weather in winter 19/20, it didn’t feel that mild. When you have long periods of damp cloudy and wet windy weather, the mild temps don’t really feel like a benefit. It still feels cold because of the moisture. However, I preferred the cold dry frosty periods of December 2020, with clear days. I’ll take that over a mild damp spell. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It's looking that way at the moment, of course still time to change. Can't think of many instances where a March temperature ended up being the highest in the whole of Spring. Quite odd.

It probably has happened before. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It probably has happened before. 

No it hasn’t 1968 it happened but tied with April so not really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So this spring didn't bring any proper snowfall here, it's produced very little pleasant warmth, and so far no thunder either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Pleasant day up norf today, missed the showers, T-shirt weather when then sun was out, managed a couple of teatime beers in local pub beer garden before mist/cloud kicked in about 6.30, #grab it while you can,

• Like 1

Posted

Sunny all day here today and the temperature peaked around 17C. Our May average is 14.2C so quite respectable..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Personally quite happy that we continue to eat into our heat window for the year. Euro has backed to a cooler late May outlook again.

• Like 3

Posted

Another dreadful day in London. Doesn’t feel like May at all. One nice thing though is the hear the rain tipping down in the evenings. Makes things feel intimate.

I’m longing for some sunny clear evenings now though. Don’t mind a bit of rain here and there, but not to last too long. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Another dreadful day in London. Doesn’t feel like May at all. One nice thing though is the hear the rain tipping down in the evenings. Makes things feel intimate.

I’m longing for some sunny clear evenings now though. Don’t mind a bit of rain here and there, but not to last too long. 

Am flying to London today for work but am not leaving better weather here in Prague. It’s been persistently cool, wet and often windy here for a long time now. No improvement showing for the next 10 days as temperatures are forecast to fail to even reach average with plenty more grey grot and rain. Will be interesting to see when the switch will flip. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Personally quite happy that we continue to eat into our heat window for the year. Euro has backed to a cooler late May outlook again.

I hope for your sake that June and July are roasting all the way through. Plenty of time for heat- it's rare we get real heat in May anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

An absolutely horrific morning here, it actually couldn't be any darker and with driving rain too. It reminds me a lot of the worst month of my life (that I recall), April 2012.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
11 hours ago, Daniel* said:

No it hasn’t 1968 it happened but tied with April so not really.

There were places in 1965 where the highest temperature of the entire YEAR was in March!

Posted
50 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

There were places in 1965 where the highest temperature of the entire YEAR was in March!

That is a shocking statistic!

Posted

Another day more rain. The one year, the one effing year in the last 100 where we could have done without this. Hate this miserable island.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just like in the British Isles another dire May day brings more cloud rain/ showers and unseasonably cold conditions. The North Atlantic jet pilling into the Alps. Still plenty of survived snow patches in the village at 1400m , current temp 6c. More fresh overnight snow on the berg at 2000m and above. Hate this month so far.

C