Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Another beautiful spring morning, plenty of sunshine, light breeze, fantastic

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

That's it for me based on model output, this is the worst spring I can remember. I can count on one hand how many days I've been able to sit outside without needing a jacket. 

One for me!

Im planning on walking the dog this afternoon in the hopes of seeing some convection at least (if the showers don’t merge into a messy clump of crap) and I will be wearing a heavy winter coat and bobble hat - which I haven’t really been able to stop wearing since like last October. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
56 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Where does one find those tables? They’re set out really nicely!

They are Wikipedia weather boxes. You input the values (I use the Met Office historic data page for Heathrow, then Ogimet, Meteociel or Infoclimat for daily records) and then go to the Wikipedia sandbox page (once there edit source code, then preview). Then screenshot and upload!

• Like 1

Posted

Thought this wasnt possible anymore,prologned period of below average temperatures,with all this global-warming being rammed down our throats!!

Lots of head scratching going on in various companies at the moment

Normally is weeks with temps above average ,with the odd day below average,complete reversal since April.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Thought this wasnt possible anymore,prologned period of below average temperatures,with all this global-warming being rammed down our throats!!

I hope your joking? If not i suspect you haven't a clue regarding global warming!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Grey and murky again this morning. I don't think I'd actually be that upset with a rerun of late April weather at this point. Yes, even with the cold. At least then I could step outside my door and know I was safe from rain for more than 20 minutes at a time. At least then it was sunny. Temperatures aren't as much of a deal then. Here in Worcs this morning it's overcast, gloomy, chilly and damp. There is literally nothing to say to recommend weather like this. Not even storm lovers would be able to stand it without falling asleep, as there aren't any of those either. Apart from the state of the trees and the longer daylight hours, this is pretty much November. Again.

As has been mentioned, this spring is interesting from a meteorological perspective. I accept that. But here's the thing: summers 2007 and 2012 were also interesting from a meteorological perspective, and I would very much not repeat those either! Spring 2021 looks like ending up as another one I'll file in the "interesting historically, but no fun to be out in" category. Sunshine in April was welcome, but that's about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
58 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Normally is weeks with temps above average ,with the odd day below average,complete reversal since April.

"It's cold at my house, therefore global warming is a myth"

I'm going to hazard a guess that you don't have a doctorate in climate science!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

I'm only 14 but I know that one year off does not constitute a rethink about global warming, global warming is a long term effect. 

• Like 4

Posted

sudden switch to a much warmer climate seemed to happen after 87,and that cold spell.Im talking UK here,and winds dominating from the South West have become the common factor since,reason why so many milder than normal winters since 87,whats to say we cant have a sudden switch back to winds dominating from the North instead.

Wind direction has it ever been factored in this global-warming debate,thats why the UK warmed up so much last 30 years,dont need a doctorate to know that!

Endless winters of mild SW winds,is global warming the reason,or just a trend,now in reverse?

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

sudden switch to a much warmer climate seemed to happen after 87,and that cold spell.Im talking UK here,and winds dominating from the South West have become the common factor since,reason why so many milder than normal winters since 87,whats to say we cant have a sudden switch back to winds dominating from the North instead.

Wind direction has it ever been factored in this global-warming debate,thats why the UK warmed up so much last 30 years,dont need a doctorate to know that!

Endless winters of mild SW winds,is global warming the reason,or just a trend,now in reverse?

I think it started in October 1987 with the Great Storm, and the very mild springlike Christmas period. January and February 1988 had many days with clear sunny mild spells, which up until that point, wasn’t commonplace. It felt very strange at the time, but that might have been due to if happening after the colder phase between 1978-87. Many months were below average between 1978, until late 1987. December 1987 and beyond shows many milder than average months, so a shift in the climate started around the winter 1987/88.

Despite this, there have still been many colder months or cooler spells of weather, if you take 2007-12 summers and winters around that time. Yes, some milder months,  but the colder theme was more persistent around that time. 

Since 2020, I think we might have entered a new cooler phase, which could last a few years. Who knows.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it started in October 1987 with the Great Storm, and the very mild springlike Christmas period. January and February 1988 had many days with clear sunny mild spells, which up until that point, wasn’t commonplace. It felt very strange at the time, but that might have been due to if happening after the colder phase between 1978-87. Many months were below average between 1978, until late 1987. December 1987 and beyond shows many milder than average months, so a shift in the climate started around the winter 1987/88.

Despite this, there have still been many colder months or cooler spells of weather, if you take 2007-12 summers and winters around that time. Yes, some milder months,  but the colder theme was more persistent around that time. 

Since 2020, I think we might have entered a new cooler phase, which could last a few years. Who knows.

I won't derail the thread but I do think it's highly possible, that with a changing planet, we could actually see a reduction in temperatures for our weather. I think the 2020s are going to be absolutely fascinating and will show us where we may be heading in terms of the climate of this little country. I tend to see the planet as always trying to balance things out, so I don't think it's completely out of the question that we may go into a colder period for the next couple of years, decade, couple of decades etc. However, as things are much different than they were, say 350 years ago, perhaps synoptics like 1740 would only give a 7.5-8.00 year instead of 6.40. All food for thought & of course two cold months don't mean that things will change forever. Who could have forseen the mild, snowless year of 2014 back during the Artic spring of 2013? Anyways, end of my off topic rant but I think there's a lot to be hopeful for for coldies going forward!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

I dont think a below average April and May is enough to call it a reversal of global warming. Your going to need to look at 500 years or more of data spanning back 500 years. A few months with a blocking High over Greenland proves nothing lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Winds dominating from the SW. I guess that is why they call them the prevailing winds.

The endless winters of mild SWly winds happen when the winter NAO is predominantly in a positive phase, the 1990's a good example of this. The winter NAO seems to have a quasi-decadal cycle where there is a decade or so of predominantly +NAO followed by predominantly -NAO. The cold winters from 2008-2011 were a cluster of -ve NAO winters.

Yes wind direction has been factored in, that is part of natural variability superimposed on any climate change signal. Natural variablity can either enhance or counter any climate change signal. Arctic blasts in winter with a southward displaced jet stream bring severe cold in the UK, global warming or not. What a warming trend does is shift the temperature distribution towards warmer temperatures, so heatwaves get a bit more severe and cold spells a little less severe. It seems to be a strawman that won't die, the implication that colder than average temperatures in a teeny tiny portion of Earth contradicts a global warming trend, as if scientists have ever said climate will warm nice and linearly and natural variability will disappear.

Note that the UK has experienced sustained below average temperatures because the wind direction has had a northerly component and the jet stream is further south than normal. If cool/cold air is advected south over NW Europe, somewhere else in the world mild air will be advected northward, so somewhere else at roughly our latitude is experiencing warmer than average temperatures and a northward displaced jet stream.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I've discussed Christmas '87 earlier, but I think also February 1988 is quite an unjustly maligned month because of it being part of that winter that started the shift towards milder winters.  South and east of a line from Northumberland to the Welsh border it was exceptionally sunny, for instance at RAF Waddington near here, there were over 120 hours of sunshine that month.  Other high totals included 116 hours at Heathrow and 113 at Durham, and locally 140+ hours on the south coast.  The frequency of sleet/snow falling was also surprisingly high for such a relatively mild month in many parts of the country (Waddington had 14 such days), though admittedly it never stuck around for long except on high ground and some southern and western areas saw out the month with no lying snow.  There was also quite a high frequency of hail and thunder in the polar maritime dominated weather early in the month, and a notable gale on the 9th. 

As far as I'm aware January 1988 was mild and very wet with only average amounts of sunshine, and December 1987 was rather dull despite the sunny Christmas, though a fair swathe of England had a snow event from a southerly tracking depression on 22 January.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
3 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

I'm only 14 but I know that one year off does not constitute a rethink about global warming, global warming is a long term effect. 

It's because of coronavirus last year lol! One year off global warming so it's all reversed

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 hours ago, SLEETY said:

But wind-direction in the UK, an insignificant dot on the world, hardly explains (and most certainly doesn't do away with!) warming on a global scale.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

This kind of discussion is more appropriate for the science or climate section.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Funny how people are saying how things changed post 1987, because whilst out walking this weekend- the only similar year I can think of here for this spring is 1986.  My Dad has loads of photos of me on Dartmoor aged 12 and spring was as late as this year. That was a cold spring here, leading to a miserable Summer countrywide. But the winter 86-87 was pretty memorable!

• Like 1

Probably one of worst days so far this month. 12-13c, windy and spells of showers or rain. It’s just cold and miserable. 

Posted
4 hours ago, SLEETY said:

You have no idea what average means, do you?

On average the world temperature is increasing, that doesn't mean than in a small neck of wood, for a short period of time, temperatures can be below average. 

What's so hard to understand?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A reminder that this isn't the place for GW / CC discussion, we have dedicated threads for that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

A reminder that this isn't the place for GW / CC discussion, we have dedicated threads for that. 

Any chance you could move them into the CC thread, Marpantz?

• Like 1

Another godawful day, 14mm of rain and only a 14.0c as a max.

only managed 15c three times this month against an average of 17.2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Probably one of worst days so far this month. 12-13c, windy and spells of showers or rain. It’s just cold and miserable. 

same in 7 months