Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

I don't disagree. But those months had those average highs because some days got into the high 20s or low 30s, thus pulling the average up; the days that were unsettled had average highs much lower than 22°C. I'm disputing that a 22°C day in London in Summer means "unsettled, rainy, and cloudy", because looking at the data it definitely doesn't. My own memories from Essex also back this up.

August 2011 is a more extreme example. Highs on unsettled days were often lower than in July 2012, with 16-17°C common. The reason the average was higher was due to a number of finer days which saw temperatures peak much higher than the mean. Again, you can check that via the link I provided.

Of course individual days might be 21-22c and sunny, but I was talking about monthly means in my original comment. A 21c average high is 3c below average in July. You don't get that without an abnormal number of cloudy and wet days. A few days of 28-30c isn't saying much, as even the very worst summers see that at least once.

July 2007 had an avg max of 21.4c and an absolute max of 24c! 

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

I swear I heard a robin in the garden singing his autumn song this morning!  Normally they sound so joyful at this time of the year - maybe they are as fed up as we are!

Posted
37 minutes ago, sarahng said:

I swear I heard a robin in the garden singing his autumn song this morning!  Normally they sound so joyful at this time of the year - maybe they are as fed up as we are!

can confirm. Autumn arrived a couple weeks ago here.

• Like 1

Oooh we're up to 12.3C, I wonder whether we can beat yesterdays 12.9C?

People keep saying to me 'Don't pay attention to GFS temps, they always wrong' they are right because they've been to high this week....... 

Posted

Its a bit chilly today, currently 8.4C just before 2pm. We briefly reached 9.7C earlier on.

Our latest ever sub-10C maxima is 28th May (in 1984), so we're only two weeks from there.

We've been quite lucky the last few days though, we've reached 20.7C, 16.8C, 16.6C, 16.8C, 15.4C and only had 2.8mm of rain in total.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

I wonder if this year will be one of them summers where 30C isn't reached?  Maybe 25C wont be touched this year at the current rate.  

Even with the tendency toward an increased frequeny of locked in weather patterns, I'd guess that five or six straight months of unseasonally cool weather without any warm/hot interludes is very unlikely. That would require the wind to never have a southerly component and the UK to be under the jet stream having a barrage of low pressure systems throughout the summer. There was one summer around 100 years ago where all months were poor, but it is very rare for all three months of a season to be abnormal. Even June 2012 had a Spanish plume at the end of the month which brought severe thunderstorms to many parts of the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I don't recall the June 12 warmth but I'd did have easterly heatwaves in late May and late July.

2007 and 2011 did make a good go of having no heat past early June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
51 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I don't recall the June 12 warmth but I'd did have easterly heatwaves in late May and late July.

2007 and 2011 did make a good go of having no heat past early June.

Yes, same here. June and July 2007 were so horrific from a rain/flooding point of view here that temperatures really didn't matter. A week of 15 °C but no rain would have been greeted with wild celebrations! As for August that year, Trevor Harley's site says it was 30.1 °C at Wisbech on the 5th, but if it got anywhere near 30 °C here I don't remember it. I do recall August as being a huge improvement over the previous two months, finally allowing serious post-flood cleanup to get underway, but it's not as if being a huge improvement over June/July 2007 was hard!

As for this year... frankly I'd willingly take a boringly average summer right now. We've had a very poor time this spring, barring a few days in April when the sun was out and the wind wasn't strong. I was on a station platform at around 9 am today and I was genuinely wishing I'd put my winter coat on. Max so far this afternoon 12.4 °C - which is annoying at the best of times, but when it keeps being like that this late in the spring it's just pathetic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

There wasn't any heat in June/July 2007 in London (max temps of 25.4c and 24.0c respectively). The first week of August got to 29c on one day, but the rest of the month remained cool.

Summer 2012 had no heat until late July, and then again in mid August, but they were very brief affairs, just scraping 30c.

Looks like it'll be June before we see even 20c again, let alone any heat (30c+) if we are lucky.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Given Alex Beresford this morning said today was the best day of weekend- I bit the bullet and headed up on Okehampton North Dartmoor. Luckily avoided most of the showers and it hit 14c in car but the North Moor is so brown and still winter like its not funny. So strange to think its 4 weeks to longest day. One thing is thanks to the dry April and now wet May, is the amount of run off from the High moors. 

Photo is from Okement Hill looking South West. 

20210514_131322.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
4 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

I wonder if this year will be one of them summers where 30C isn't reached?  Maybe 25C wont be touched this year at the current rate.  

Yes, the last time this happened was 1993, but before that it did happen occasionally, so certainly a possibility..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The ECMWF would be more certain to bring a sub 10C May in my opinion.  Some impressively cold air for late May (around -6C 850hPa over much of central and northern Britain) showing at around T+216-240 on both the 00Z and 12Z runs today. 

I don't follow the argument that this persistently colder than average weather will mean we'll have a cool summer.  There were marked counterexamples in 1975 and 1983.  Also 1995 had a generally cool spell of weather from 8 May until around 20 June, broken by a brief warmish interlude in late May, and I certainly recall "Where's our summer" comments in early to mid June that year...

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted

It’s grim out there. Yesterday was half decent, sunny and 16ish with a breeze. Today is grey and sullen. 

At least the pubs are open indoors on Monday, if the Indian variant doesn’t get there first. 

Happy Dayz. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, only around 12C max here today, and I haven't seen any sunshine.  I guess Lincoln's good run (relative to many other parts of the UK) had to come to an end at some point.

I’m going to guess that the warmest day of the year will be 24° in the London area sometime in July or august, especially if this below average weather continues, yes we have had a few days above average here and there, which is why 24° might be possible in London as the average is 23 July and august 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

The ECMWF would be more certain to bring a sub 10C May in my opinion.  Some impressively cold air for late May (around -6C 850hPa over much of central and northern Britain) showing at around T+216-240 on both the 00Z and 12Z runs today. 

I don't follow the argument that this persistently colder than average weather will mean we'll have a cool summer.  There were marked counterexamples in 1975 and 1983.  Also 1995 had a generally cool spell of weather from 8 May until around 20 June, broken by a brief warmish interlude in late May, and I certainly recall "Where's our summer" comments in early to mid June that year...

Yes that is true. We can’t write summer off until mid June, but I would hazard a guess if we are struggling to reach or top the low 20s by June 21st, a cooler summer seems more likely. 

1991 also had a poor start to summer,  but warmed up in July and parts of august were warm.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

I’m going to guess that the warmest day of the year will be 24° in the London area sometime in July or august, especially if this below average weather continues, yes we have had a few days above average here and there, which is why 24° might be possible in London as the average is 23 July and august 

If we don’t top 24c this year I’ll be shocked. Even a poor summer year, we still achieved 29 or 30c for a few days, such as 1993, 1981 and 2007.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another wet and cold day here, think we had 10 minutes of sunshine in total and a ‘high’ of 13°C. Vile 

Posted

Wondering if the weather has been affected by less pollution because of lockdown which has resulted in less travel or possibly by volcanic eruptions!! there could be a knock on effect from such drastic events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
3 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Yes, the last time this happened was 1993, but before that it did happen occasionally, so certainly a possibility..

Which year had the lowest annual maximum, say since 1900? Has there ever been one where 25 °C hasn't been reached?

Posted
13 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Which year had the lowest annual maximum, say since 1900? Has there ever been one where 25 °C hasn't been reached?

For May or the whole year?

2007 was the closest attempt since 1993.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
48 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Both 1920 and 1962 recorded Maximums of 27.8 deg.

The  last sub 30 deg was 1993 with 29.7 deg

The lowest was 1879 at 26.8 deg [records since 1875]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1