Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted

Buggggggggggggggger Buggggggggggggggger Buggggggggggggggger Buggggggggggggggger Buggggggggggggggger ... Nuff said ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 hour ago, DCee said:

Very grim 2021 so far and no change for the rest of the month. This is the worse i have ever seen for warmth and projected warmth.

Global warming certainly doesnt help the UK with warmth or longer settled periods thats for sure. More energy in the system leads to less seasons. Feels like we are moving to two seasons; spring and autumn. So less cold in winter and less prolonged warmth in summer.

Future doesnt bode well for UK weather.

That weather we had for the best part of three months last year just after lockdown was introduced, including one of the warmest Aprils on record,  must have all been a figment of my imagination!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I do hope those pining for "a bit of" or "some" rain a few week ago are happy with what they wished for. "we need some rain, we need some rain, a bit of rain will do us good, farmers wont be happy so let it rain" were once the cries in here. Just scroll back a few pages its all there. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

16.5 degrees here and bright sunshine, might get a degree or two warmer this aft, gotta grab it whilst you can

• Like 1

Max temps here so far this month is a tragic 16.1C compared to a May average of 17.2C

Looking at the GFS forecast again its entirely possible we could the entire month without a single day reaching average. 

Posted

We usually reach above 20c every May, but this month looks to be different. A max of only 15c in my area and looks to be around 12-14c for a week or two. Even the cold May of 1996 had a warm spell in the latter third so if this May doesn’t get to those levels at any point, it has to be one of the worst Mays possible, or best depending on your preferences. 

Edited by Frigid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
33 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

I do hope those pining for "a bit of" or "some" rain a few week ago are happy with what they wished for. "we need some rain, we need some rain, a bit of rain will do us good, farmers wont be happy so let it rain" were once the cries in here. Just scroll back a few pages its all there. 

I'm still hoping for 'a bit of rain' as I'm yet to have more than a bit of drizzle or spitter spatters. Not everywhere has had downpours. I'm sure my rain will come eventually though.

4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

No, it's pretty dreadful. These excellent charts from James Peacock show how poor May has been:

image.thumb.png.374045b63cfde803e7bba3bab4fe13b7.png

This on the back of a freezing cold April too:

image.thumb.png.8f052d69527290e9c7ef3f602167c2d1.png

If no warm up occurs then it could be an unprecedented cold April/May combo in many areas.

What graph in excel is this, I'm trying to replicated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am in full agreement with others who are complaining about the lack of temperature progression and warm spells this spring, in particular May. Like with some others on here, May is generally my favourite out of the warmer months, but this one is turning out to be mediocre at best. I don't mind the rain as it is good for the gardens (I don't want it to go on for too long though obviously), but what I am finding a tad frustrating is that I am still wearing my winter coat most days as well as having the heating on for a couple of hours. We often see the first plume of the year during May, but I am not holding my breath for this year. I wonder if 20 Celsius will be achieved? 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Know lots of the country have been doing poorly but generally here just outside London it’s not been that bad, we hit 21° Sunday, Monday 18° Tuesday 18° weds 17° and today so far just 13° tomorrow forecast high is 16° so Tbh in my neck of the woods it’s not been as bad as it has for other parts, at least I’ve hit 20° this month 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

Yes I am glad of the rain. Locked in patterns of the same weather for weeks on end are not good for gardening or agriculture. That doesn't mean I would want it to rain all month, that would be another undesirable locked in pattern. Near average weather will do, which is what W Sussex seems to have got the last week or so. Sunshine, occasional rain, warm daytime temperatures and mild nights. Good weather does not have to be the extreme case of weeks of no rain and blazing hot temperatures, for me that is over the top and not desirable at all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
22 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I am in full agreement with others who are complaining about the lack of temperature progression and warm spells this spring, in particular May. Like with some others on here, May is generally my favourite out of the warmer months, but this one is turning out to be mediocre at best. I don't mind the rain as it is good for the gardens (I don't want it to go on for too long though obviously), but what I am finding a tad frustrating is that I am still wearing my winter coat most days as well as having the heating on for a couple of hours. We often see the first plume of the year during May, but I am not holding my breath for this year. I wonder if 20 Celsius will be achieved? 

Here in the SE it seems to have warmed up to something more resembling average (i.e. you can go out during the day without a coat and not feel chilly). I have sympathy for those further north and west if they are still stuck in March.

Hmmm I can't quite get there, I don't know how to assign the years to the data labels......but I think you can guess where this May is currently on this chart....

852337835_BmthMayGraph.thumb.png.c4b3819c5a298005911291783d5299c9.png

5 minutes ago, al78 said:

Here in the SE it seems to have warmed up to something more resembling average (i.e. you can go out during the day without a coat and not feel chilly). I have sympathy for those further north and west if they are still stuck in March.

I agree, just outside of London and I only need a jumper now, it’s even comfortable In the evenings, my low last night was 10.2°

Posted
51 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

The trees are going to be very late coming out this year on par with 1996.

Cant help thinking this isn't normal for mid May. It's the same all around here, oaks have leaves but they don't seem fully developed, others are either almost bare or stuck at the small green leaf stage that you normally see for a week or two in April.

But the daffodils were out at the normal time (late Feb/early Mar)

20210513_135758.jpg

20210513_135840.jpg

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another wretched October day.

• Like 1

Posted

Rain seems to have stopped here for now, about 24 hours since it started.

Rainfall totals from the Davis VP2 are 57.2mm of rain in the last 24 hours. 25.4mm before midnight, and 31.8mm afterwards.

94.8mm this month.

Just need it to warm up and things will grow rapidly. Oh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm getting off lightly again it would seem, sunny intervals and 16C, which is equal to the 1981-2010 average max for May for nearby RAF Waddington.  The radar confirms that it's been a real washout for Devon over the past couple of days though!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 hours ago, philglossop said:

It's mid May. I'm still using the gas fire- I was cold in bed last night, and its STILL raining here. Top temp a miserable 13c yesterday- today isn't going to be much different by the looks of it.

really...Plymouth is the only place i know where you can sit in the garden in shorts and a tshirt when its raining..always damp and humid

Okay so going by the met office, the nearest official station to me is shoeburyness which is annoying cos it’s still 15 miles away however the average temp in May is 16 degrees and actually currently it’s running at 15.2° so going by an official station it’s almost at average, so if we stayed below average during July and august temps will probably stick to about 20 or 21 during July august, probably be some warmer days in the mix too, 

but is it just me that doesn’t think 21 or 22 is okay? Despite it being slightly below?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
10 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

Okay so going by the met office, the nearest official station to me is shoeburyness which is annoying cos it’s still 15 miles away however the average temp in May is 16 degrees and actually currently it’s running at 15.2° so going by an official station it’s almost at average, so if we stayed below average during July and august temps will probably stick to about 20 or 21 during July august, probably be some warmer days in the mix too, 

but is it just me that doesn’t think 21 or 22 is okay? Despite it being slightly below?

For me that is a perfect temperature in summer. More than warm enough for shorts and tshirt and you don't sweat either.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

22C is fine with no wind and plenty of sun. I guess those days are rare though.

Problem for most with those temps is when it gets to the evenings. If you could have an abundance of sunshine with 22C and overnight mins of 17-18C would be fine and I'd probably take that but in reality by the middle of the evening your back down to 16,17C etc and it starts getting cool.

In a normal summer across the south there's maybe 15-20 evenings per year when its comfy to wear just shorts and t-shirts beyond say 9ish in the evening, that's what most want but is never going to happen often this far north.