Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

That doesn't make sense

I'll break it down to make it easier for you..

Spring weather wise has been first class, records broken left right and centre now for the 3rd or 4th time proper storms, power dropping off, hail the works.

How anybody who is a weather enthusiast can critics this for me doesn't make sense, isn't this what we want? 

We don't all live in the same place as you, therefore, many are entitled to criticise the weather if it's not up to par.

• Like 4

Posted

I would say since Christmas 2020, the weather here has mostly had some interest to it. Few examples such as the first White Christmas since 2004, snowy and cold January, very cold easterly in February, abrupt warm spell at end of March, very cold, frosty and dry April and today I witnessed a few crackles of thunder and lightning, which was unexpected. Most interesting start to the year for quite a long time I’d say. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
21 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'll break it down to make it easier for you..

We don't all live in the same place as you, therefore, many are entitled to criticise the weather if it's not up to par.

So i will issue a disclaimer with every post from now on.....

• Like 2

I get what people are saying from an interesting perspective however that doesn’t mean  interesting is nice or acceptable. It’s been a poor to very poor spring so far. One day of 20c at the end of March and the sun (despite the cold) in April were the only positives. Mays been a complete disaster only the last few nights dragging the monthly anomaly back up to ‘just’ 3.4c below average. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Going to Cornwall for 4 nights at the end of next week, and the weather is looking thoroughly grim.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Going to Cornwall for 4 nights at the end of next week, and the weather is looking thoroughly grim.

And here's me thinking all the road blocks were sorted

• Like 1

ECM is grim this morning has it rain continuously from 3pm this afternoon to 3am Friday morning. Another meal out tonight cancelled at least we only have to get wet on the way to the pub next week. 

Posted

As I'm sure has been mentioned before, this really has been a pretty lousy spring. Is there any signs of more settled weather for the first week in June and the half term break? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
14 hours ago, markyo said:

I honestly can say, no ramping or trying to wind folk up at all but this Spring weather wise has been first class, records broken left right and centre now for the 3rd or 4th time proper storms, power dropping off, hail the works. How anybody who is a weather enthusiast can critics this for me doesn't make sense, isn't this what we want? 

Destructive side effects.

From my gardening perspective it has been a poor spring. Frostiness well above normal, mediocre to cool days, hardly any rain.

I don't like these locked in weather patterns, they make allotment gardening very difficult, so I will dislike weather that imposes costs or inconvenience on me. At least now the weather has shifted much closer to average.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

No fine days and a thunderstorm.  One day above 20c in getting on for 8 months. Global warming happening everywhere apart from the land of eternal Autumn. 

Completely agree, except here its no fine days and no thunderstorms. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Completely agree, except here its no fine days and no thunderstorms. 

I got lucky the oither week with a thunderstorm nearby so its not been a total write off here.

I did also enjoy just how dry and somewhat sunny April was, which meant that whilst cold, it was still ok to be out in.

This month though has been pretty rough. 

The fact Heathrow still sits at just *2* days above 20c is pretty poor for the time of year, and looking at the models there isn't going to be many upcoming shots either, maybe a chance if a warm sector coincides with daytime and we get some sunny breaks, but otherwise slim pickings. So a fair chance we are going to be still sitting at only 2-6 days above 20c by the end of the month, which by modern standards is pretty weak.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The UK really is a trough magnet this month. Low to the north > drops down over the UK. Low to the southwest > barrels northeastwards and sits over the UK. Low over Europe > moves westwards into the UK, fills in situ, and opens the door to one from the Atlantic... 

God I hope we get a warm high pressure towards the latter end of the month!

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, markyo said:

I honestly can say, no ramping or trying to wind folk up at all but this Spring weather wise has been first class, records broken left right and centre now for the 3rd or 4th time proper storms, power dropping off, hail the works. How anybody who is a weather enthusiast can critics this for me doesn't make sense, isn't this what we want? 

Don't know about you, but I just want some nice warm weather so I can see my family and friends again as it's currently illegal to mix inside. Yes it will be fine to do so next week, but it doesn't take away from the fact the disgraceful weather has stopped this happening countless times in the 1 and a half months we could only see each other outdoors. Also who the hell wants a wind and rain storm in May get a grip.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 3

Posted
On 11/05/2021 at 08:31, weatherguru14 said:

I only usually come on this site around late spring and early summer  each year. And I often get into a debate over the Jet stream..

I was watching the week ahead forecast for the met office  on youtube. And the weather forecaster  mentioned how the Jet is in an usual place.. yet  year after year. The jet is usually in this position. (apart from now and then) but that is rarer.. But the norm is where it currently is. My annoyance is when the obvious is ignored to suit what ever idea the person/s objective is. 

Every upcoming summer theres always a case of Jet stream being in the wrong place for what summers lovers would like. All anyone can hope for is that it moves further north and stays in that position long enough to give us a decent summer. 

But over all the realism is. the jet stream  is in the usual place for the UK.. Just my two penneth worth 

Yeah no it's not, the Jet should be running between Iceland and Scotland, Not Isle of White and France. That's a 1000 mile displacement to the South. I don't understand this weird fixation on normalizing record breaking cold such as April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
10 hours ago, Nick L said:

It's dreadful enough today. Hasn't stopped raining here all flipping day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
7 minutes ago, philglossop said:

It's dreadful enough today. Hasn't stopped raining here all flipping day!

rains in Plymouth 364 days a year so ...

• Like 1

Posted

Age old saying from those that really are dependent on the weather. Just might lift some peoples mood. "A wet and windy May, fills the barn with Corn and Hay". That's the way I look at it. I've a bad back from all the weeding I have had to do in the last 7 days or so, the place is alive with growth. No rain here in 2 days and sun out with some great thunder on Monday. It's natural, we don't live in the Med and at least it has some benefits to the farmers. 

Posted

Not to be negative, but we have only 6 weeks before we reach the longest day. I usually find if we don’t achieve a proper hot spell of a week or two by mid June, the summer that follows is usually very average or poor. Have a feeling we are looking at another 1998, 2001, or something along the lines of the 2009-2010 era, when we had at least 2-3 weeks of warm sunny and hot weather,  but more unsettled and cooler conditions before and after. 

Posted

13C with some sunny spells this morning, so not feeling too bad although the max temp was a few degrees below average again, then clouding over with rain starting mid afternoon. Now it's just 8.4C with persistent rain.

Looking at some model runs, I'm wondering if we could go through the whole of April and May without anything above 16C here. What's a bit more likely is that my highest maxima of the spring will be 18.6C on the 30th March, although the end of May is a long way off.

No other spring in my records (2008-2020) didn't reach 20C, although 2013 took until the 31st May (21.8C), and had only reached 17.4C up to the 30th May.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

13C with some sunny spells this morning, so not feeling too bad although the max temp was a few degrees below average again, then clouding over with rain starting mid afternoon. Now it's just 8.4C with persistent rain.

Looking at some model runs, I'm wondering if we could go through the whole of April and May without anything above 16C here. What's a bit more likely is that my highest maxima of the spring will be 18.6C on the 30th March, although the end of May is a long way off.

No other spring in my records (2008-2020) didn't reach 20C, although 2013 took until the 31st May (21.8C), and had only reached 17.4C up to the 30th May.

1983 failed to reach 20c until sometime in late May. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
34 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Not to be negative, but we have only 6 weeks before we reach the longest day. I usually find if we don’t achieve a proper hot spell of a week or two by mid June, the summer that follows is usually very average or poor. Have a feeling we are looking at another 1998, 2001, or something along the lines of the 2009-2010 era, when we had at least 2-3 weeks of warm sunny and hot weather,  but more unsettled and cooler conditions before and after. 

I see you posted about songs from May 1983 in another thread.  1983 was a year that sprung to mind that had a fine summer but lacked any hot weather of note until June.  1975 was another example, the first hot spell of the year came straight after out-of-season snowfalls on 2 June!  I don't think there was much hot weather around in the springs of 1955 or 1969 either (both again followed by fine summers).  In recent years, 2013 sticks out - July 2013 was a particularly warm sunny month in the west of Britain, but the spring and June were on the cool side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
46 minutes ago, Downburst said:

Age old saying from those that really are dependent on the weather. Just might lift some peoples mood. "A wet and windy May, fills the barn with Corn and Hay". That's the way I look at it. I've a bad back from all the weeding I have had to do in the last 7 days or so, the place is alive with growth. No rain here in 2 days and sun out with some great thunder on Monday. It's natural, we don't live in the Med and at least it has some benefits to the farmers. 

'A cold wet May and a barn full of hay' was always the saying we were taught,not sure how much truth but i guess the more poor weather we get in spring the more likely it will be settled and fine in Summer!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I see you posted about songs from May 1983 in another thread.  1983 was a year that sprung to mind that had a fine summer but lacked any hot weather of note until June.  1975 was another example, the first hot spell of the year came straight after out-of-season snowfalls on 2 June!  I don't think there was much hot weather around in the springs of 1955 or 1969 either (both again followed by fine summers).  In recent years, 2013 sticks out - July 2013 was a particularly warm sunny month in the west of Britain, but the spring and June were on the cool side.

Yeah, I hope I don’t get banned for adding music posts lol. 

You are right about 1975, and 83. I think 1990 also had a cold first half in June,  if it already had some fine warm sunny weather in May. It was quite hot at times. 1995 had some very warm days in May at the start, but was cool again until the middle of June, and that lead to one of the best summers along with 1975,76,82,84,89 and 90.