Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
8 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

You don't really need a blistering hot summer heatwave to get very warm nights. 1st November 2020 was very warm night probably warmer than some nights during July 2018. 

I went to a Halloween event on November 1 and it was 16C on the night, although it was very windy so it didn’t feel that warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
2 hours ago, B87 said:

A traditional summer would still 30c days and thunderstorms.

Oh sure it would, but they would be an occasional occurrence, with plenty of cooler weather in between.

Posted
12 hours ago, B87 said:

They probably happen every year in the centre of London, but out at Heathrow - no chance. Usually peaks at 19c, although the last few summers have seen 20c lows (tropical nights).

They do happen at Heathrow- there were 4 last August and one in July 2019 looking back at the records.

Historically they were rare at Heathrow but I think the trend in recent years for more extreme hot spells has made them much more likely.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

What a lovely lovely November’s day... ?

Need you back, May, lol 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
5 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Need you back, May, lol 

BBC has something big lined up tommorrow(unfortunately only for the South really) 

Screenshot_20210508_082914_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210508_082924_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210508_082937_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

BBC has something big lined up tommorrow(unfortunately only for the South really) 

Screenshot_20210508_082914_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210508_082924_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210508_082937_com.android.chrome.jpg

Could do with a boot further North, but a chance there I guess for some storm shields in the South and South-East to get broken down 

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Frigid said:

Didn't August 2020 record quite a few 20c+ nights during that heatwave in London. Must've been unbearable with the humidity and 35c days.

Yes, I think we had about 4 or 5 nights where the temp was hovering around 20-21c, but it wasn't too unbearable, given the hot spell only last a couple of weeks. 

Summer 2018 was more uncomfortable, because we had a much longer period of hot spells on and off between May(although May 2018 was a dry heat), and August, but the nights were very warm at times in June, July and early august 2018.

I won't complain if we have to tolerate 1-2 weeks of very warm nights. Its part and parcel of summer, and it balances out all the cold and chilly days and evenings we have to put up with between late September and April.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Simon M said:

All this talk of tropical nights and supercell thunderstorms is making me break out in a cold sweat.  I hope we get a "traditional" summer this year with none of the crazy extremes of recent years.  Hot weather is exhausting, especially with warm nights making sleep difficult.

We need some heat now though. I'm fed up with the cold. Had my snow fix back in January, and a bit in early Feb, had my chilly spring fix, which almost felt like an extension of winter 2020/21. So, we now need some warmth, and that can be a variety of hot and dry heat with a breeze, and some humid thundery spells. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, I think we had about 4 or 5 nights where the temp was hovering around 20-21c, but it wasn't too unbearable, given the hot spell only last a couple of weeks. 

Summer 2018 was more uncomfortable, because we had a much longer period of hot spells on and off between May(although May 2018 was a dry heat), and August, but the nights were very warm at times in June, July and early august 2018.

I won't complain if we have to tolerate 1-2 weeks of very warm nights. Its part and parcel of summer, and it balances out all the cold and chilly days and evenings we have to put up with between late September and April.

You ever thought about an Aircon unit?We all spend thousands a year heating our homes yet complain when we get a week or two of hot sticky nights.Fortunately i live in the Pennines where it is less of a problem but if i lived in London i would have an aircon unit and i prefer the heat!

Posted
13 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I am hoping that this summer is riddled with heatwaves and decent thunderstorms to finish them off, as well as sunshine and showers mixed inbetween. But I have a feeling we are in for a fairly boring summer this year.

Define a boring summer.

I'm confident this year will see a return of overnight storms, similar to the likes of 2013-2018 era, and possibly more in the way of extended daytime storms. A daytime darkness event to rival August 1981, or another storm day similar to June 1982 would be welcomed. I think after all the cold that's lingered, it wouldn't take much for a couple of weeks of hot air to clash, and produce some nasty storm cells. Also, 1981 and 82, had lots of hot and cold days in summer, so we probably need some unsettled cool weather to offset the heat in order to produce classic thunderstorms. Another 1994 would be also  welcome, as that was a stormy summer, with lots of hot days, particularly in second half of June and all of July.

Posted
44 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Could do with a boot further North, but a chance there I guess for some storm shields in the South and South-East to get broken down 

Will london get overnight storms tomorrow? You predicted some possible bangers to start appearing in May.

Posted
5 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

You ever thought about an Aircon unit?We all spend thousands a year heating our homes yet complain when we get a week or two of hot sticky nights.Fortunately i live in the Pennines where it is less of a problem but if i lived in London i would have an aircon unit and i prefer the heat!

It's not worth it, because the heat never lasts long enough. We do live in an old flat, which becomes a heat sink, and much like how its felt like a fridge until this week, it also becomes very warm in the flat, once daytime temps reach above 26c for a week or more.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Need you back, May, lol 

Yes, +8 C and moderate rain and a cold breeze, seems a long time since I sat in the garden in late March/April. At least it no longer needs watering, 14.8 mm since 6.30 this morning, this to go with the 18.6 last Monday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It's not worth it, because the heat never lasts long enough. We do live in an old flat, which becomes a heat sink, and much like how its felt like a fridge until this week, it also becomes very warm in the flat, once daytime temps reach above 26c for a week or more.

I agree, S76 -- an utter waste of money! Could an A/C system be the new Filofax? Something else (along with a mobile phone the size of a house-brick) I never saw the point of! Do A/C systems come replete with go-faster stripes?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Couldn't live without AC now in the bedroom. Sleepless nights make any hot spell 10 times harder to endure.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Will london get overnight storms tomorrow? You predicted some possible bangers to start appearing in May.

Ah yeah, that’s true (at least from looking back at the conversation we had in the May CET thread). I hope so, but it would be typical if any storms later tomorrow pass by just to the East of London, or up along the North Sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
Just now, DiagonalRedLine said:

Ah yeah, that’s true (at least from looking back at the conversation we had in the May CET thread). I hope so, but it would be typical if any storms later tomorrow pass by just to the East of London, or up along the North Sea

Models have been trending westward though but its unlikely. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

I really hope we have a few days of that classic clear blue sky combined with hot days of 24-27c between the 20th and 31st May. It's never failed since May 2017. Always had a warm sunny birthday since.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scorcher said:

They do happen at Heathrow- there were 4 last August and one in July 2019 looking back at the records.

Historically they were rare at Heathrow but I think the trend in recent years for more extreme hot spells has made them much more likely.

St James Park has slightly higher mins than Heathrow, 4 last year and 3 in July 19. 2 or 3 in 18 as well. I think London City airport probably would top St James park but I can’t find the mins for there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Loving the transition to warmer conditions..drizzle, 13c and blowing a hoolie....amazing!

Was that an optimistic post?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
51 minutes ago, Alderc said:

St James Park has slightly higher mins than Heathrow, 4 last year and 3 in July 19. 2 or 3 in 18 as well. I think London City airport probably would top St James park but I can’t find the mins for there. 

SJP doesn't seem to be a particularly good UHI spot for being in the centre of London. I think London City Airport does have warmer nights. July 2006 there averaged 26.6c/18.3c, vs Heathrow's 28.2c/16.7c.