Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
20 minutes ago, milomolly123 said:

ye what u think of it i think it would be informative 

Thunderstorms can be notoriously fickle to forecast and often details won't be resolved until much closer to the time. I've seen many scenarios in the UK were there is plenty of energy for thunderstorms in the atmosphere but no spark helps them develop and it becomes a bust. In terms of maps, you'd want a red-orange-yellow palette I think and probabilities of any one area getting hit will have a reduced element of confidence about them (especially wind details).

Are you new to the world of thunderstorm forecasting? The two scenarios that often deliver a widespread threat are the breakdown of a Spanish plume or an area of low pressure over the UK with relatively warm air at the surface. The best scenario I can remember in my lifetime was late June 2012 when we had both and there was some nasty storms going through the East Midlands and Lincolnshire (a few other areas too) .

screenshot_2013-06-24-00-06-33-11.png?w=
HINCKLEYWEATHERBLOG.WORDPRESS.COM

Every so often a weather event occurs that is so extreme and so sudden, that it can’t possibly be forecast or expected to happen in any particular location. The 28th of June 2012 was such an occasion when Hinckley...

There is a guide here for thunderstorm development in the UK if you want to learn more (attached below). Plenty of other members that know more then myself will also be posting on here when the next big round of thunderstorms potentially come along!

Thunderstorms in the British Isles.pdf

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Thunderstorms can be notoriously fickle to forecast and often details won't be resolved until much closer to the time. I've seen many scenarios in the UK were there is plenty of energy for thunderstorms in the atmosphere but no spark helps them develop and it becomes a bust. In terms of maps, you'd want a red-orange-yellow palette I think and probabilities of any one area getting hit will have a reduced element of confidence about them (especially wind details).

Are you new to the world of thunderstorm forecasting? The two scenarios that often deliver a widespread threat are the breakdown of a Spanish plume or an area of low pressure over the UK with relatively warm air at the surface. The best scenario I can remember in my lifetime was late June 2012 when we had both and there was some nasty storms going through the East Midlands and Lincolnshire (a few other areas too) .

Every so often a weather event occurs that is so extreme and so sudden, that it can’t possibly be forecast or expected to happen in any particular location. The 28th of June 2012 was such an occasion when Hinckley...

There is a guide here for thunderstorm development in the UK if you want to learn more (attached below). Plenty of other members that know more then myself will also be posting on here when the next big round of thunderstorms potentially come along!

Thunderstorms in the British Isles.pdf 861.27 kB · 0 downloads

ive been doing thunderstorm forecasting for 10 years i no what im doing it sometimes my maps don't work because how the uk weather is lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
18 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Some start moaning about dry weather before it even gets close to causing problems growing things. Water table's really full now still even though April was dry. So much rain over winter (more than 50% above average), we're not exactly crying out for it.

It has caused problems growing for me. Potato crop looks to be wiped out by frosty nights throughout last month. The lack of rain hasn't affected my allotment because I had a lot of stored rainwater from the damp autumn/winter, and there was little growing. It is less about the rain and more about the cold nights and well below average temperatures. I feel I am taking a chance starting squash and Frech beans indoors now, even though I'd normally have started those two weeks ago. The one good thing about the lack of rain is the lack of slug destruction so far, the brassicas I planted out two weeks ago still look healthy.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

The best scenario I can remember in my lifetime was late June 2012 when we had both and there was some nasty storms going through the East Midlands and Lincolnshire (a few other areas too) .

Thunderstorms in the British Isles.pdf 861.27 kB · 1 download

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Blowing a hoolie here in Prague since this morning, as the low exiting the UK makes its presence felt across much of Europe. Quite mild, at least (17°C) with some sunshine but rapidly starting to cloud over now as fronts approach from the NW. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

There has been one example of a shocker start to May, with the month recovering to average temps in the 2nd half. That was May 2012. The summer after was probably the worst in living memory.

1-20 May average max: 14.4c

21-31 May average max: 24.8c

Think I'd rather have a record cold May like 1996 and then have that summer, than an average May with 2012's summer. Summer 1996 was sunny, dry with temperatures near average overall.

Edited by B87

Posted
1 hour ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Thunderstorms in the British Isles.pdf 861.27 kB · 1 download

That is an astounding report/account from 28th June 2012. Thank you for sharing and plaudits to whoever collated it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Some decent punchy showers going through here at the moment. At least the weather has been interesting the last couple of days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
3 hours ago, al78 said:

It has caused problems growing for me. Potato crop looks to be wiped out by frosty nights throughout last month. The lack of rain hasn't affected my allotment because I had a lot of stored rainwater from the damp autumn/winter, and there was little growing. It is less about the rain and more about the cold nights and well below average temperatures. I feel I am taking a chance starting squash and Frech beans indoors now, even though I'd normally have started those two weeks ago. The one good thing about the lack of rain is the lack of slug destruction so far, the brassicas I planted out two weeks ago still look healthy.

I wasn't referring to you in particular moaning about dry weather after two days. And yeah, cold AND dry is about the worst combination for a spring month. If it had been mild and dry there would have been little problem, after the very wet winter.

Most laughably sad thing about this spell of weather for me is that I can barely get my INDOOR temps above 20°C let alone the outside temperature getting anywhere near to it. Bugger me sideways.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted

Windy and rained all day here and temperatures of 4C to 6C (briefly) .

On the bright side the mountains look lovely today with continuous snow cover from 300m upwards

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Thundershine said:

I wasn't referring to you in particular moaning about dry weather after two days. And yeah, cold AND dry is about the worst combination for a spring month. If it had been mild and dry there would have been little problem, after the very wet winter.

Most laughably sad thing about this spell of weather for me is that I can barely get my INDOOR temps above 20°C let alone the outside temperature getting anywhere near to it. Bugger me sideways.

I'm with you on the indoor temps. Normally from mid April I don't need any central heating until November. To have to use it in May in SE England is ridiculous for me. My house has frequently been dropping to 15C which is about the limit before I feel the need to put the heating on for half an hour or so.

Posted
28 minutes ago, al78 said:

I'm with you on the indoor temps. Normally from mid April I don't need any central heating until November. To have to use it in May in SE England is ridiculous for me. My house has frequently been dropping to 15C which is about the limit before I feel the need to put the heating on for half an hour or so.

We usually use the heating until late April, as the nights and mornings are still chilly, even in the warmer years. We usually turn the heating back on in late September, as the flat usually starts to become cold around that time. It’s an old building. 

Posted

I normally grab a month at the beginning of the growing season to start my tomatoes etc... off as being on the south coast we normally avoid any late frosts, but this year has been a disaster.  Last week a nasty frost killed off the new shoots on the citrus tress and the gale yesterday blew all the small lemons off.  Having said that what fell out the sky was minimal and the wind today has dried everything out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I can understand how it might be cold enough for the hail that has fallen around Man City's ground before the game to still be hanging around, but I would have thought that on the pitch at least the undersoil heating would have put paid to it?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

On the bright side we can now write off the first half of May, more of our heat window eaten into.

Posted
6 hours ago, B87 said:

There has been one example of a shocker start to May, with the month recovering to average temps in the 2nd half. That was May 2012. The summer after was probably the worst in living memory.

1-20 May average max: 14.4c

21-31 May average max: 24.8c

Think I'd rather have a record cold May like 1996 and then have that summer, than an average May with 2012's summer. Summer 1996 was sunny, dry with temperatures near average overall.

Despite the very cold May of 1996, overall I enjoyed 1996 weatherwise, the seasons felt how they should, the first 20 days of January was mild and dank, but then we had a 2 month notably cold and often snowy period, end Jan very cold and snowy lasting into early Feb, then mixed with snowy cold period.. April was average, summer was a good one overall but came on the back of the excellent 95 summer and very warm summer of 94 albeit wet at times, autumn 96 was often chilly, Nov was cold with early snow leading into a cold and at times snowy December especially after christmas.

Posted

Some fantastic cloudscapes today at least, saw some decent mammatus which is a rarity in the UK!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hoping for some good convection & cloudscapes in Lincoln tomorrow, the forecast looks pretty favourable, a lesser chance on Thursday & Friday also.  Slight chance of some sleet/snow if any particularly heavy showers turn up, but lowland sleet/snow will probably be mainly confined to Scotland I reckon.  Today had a window of brighter, showery weather in the afternoon with one heavy-ish hail shower, but otherwise was mostly cloudy with some rain, being just a little too far north for most of the day.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

A couple of the views from my flat today:

image.thumb.png.3cf8e77bfd06f37b77fc1ec42787f3d5.pngimage.thumb.png.9d02d0e12e5a59fe357dcb551058852c.png

• Like 8

Posted

Me oh my, that would have been a disappointing day in November. Sadly the outlook for the rest of the week isn't looking much better. The only tiny saving grace is that Thursday's forecast has been upgraded from awful to merely poor.

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Despite the very cold May of 1996, overall I enjoyed 1996 weatherwise, the seasons felt how they should, the first 20 days of January was mild and dank, but then we had a 2 month notably cold and often snowy period, end Jan very cold and snowy lasting into early Feb, then mixed with snowy cold period.. April was average, summer was a good one overall but came on the back of the excellent 95 summer and very warm summer of 94 albeit wet at times, autumn 96 was often chilly, Nov was cold with early snow leading into a cold and at times snowy December especially after christmas.

January 1996 was the cloudiest on record here. January 2021 was the 2nd cloudiest!

Posted
42 minutes ago, rwtwm said:

Me oh my, that would have been a disappointing day in November. Sadly the outlook for the rest of the week isn't looking much better. The only tiny saving grace is that Thursday's forecast has been upgraded from awful to merely poor.

....but Saturday, which was looking alright, is now terrible. 

I’ve never wanted some warmth as much I do now. 

Posted

November usually has more leaves on the trees than this May!

Posted

November 2019

20191102_Hyde_Park_2.jpg

Probably twice as many leaves as at present!