Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Just taking a look and if we can avoid heat in May and June there's a reasonable chance of the coolest Q2 since 1991.

Last year this time was very short on grass,last may was exceptionally dry sunny,this may looks much wetter but it seems farmers are in an even more dire state because of the very dry combined with the record cold nights,food shortages could be an issuse and prices will be rising,so the cold continues yet.

But lets see how may pans out from next weekened.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

I suspect it's specifically the sunshine that's important, ahead of the warmth. Nearly every list of highest life expectancies has Japan and Switzerland at or near the top, and Norway is way up the rankings too. Often all three cooler countries are ahead of Spain, Greece or Italy on life expectancy. The biggest problem the UK has isn't that it's chilly, it's that it's cloudy. Birmingham averages around 1,400 hours a year, which is pretty pathetic by world standards. Rome gets 2,500 hours and Seville 2,900 hours. Even Tokyo gets 1,900.

Given our latitude, we're not a particularly cold or (barring the far west) a particularly wet country. We are a particularly grey country. I do actually like the British weather, as I'm not particularly keen on living in a land of extremes. But when we get those stubborn spells with day after day of grey gloom and you have to leave the lights on all day even in midsummer... now that weather I will moan about with the best of 'em! The last two Aprils (one warm, one cold) have both been very sunny. Imagine if we had that much sun most Aprils. I suspect people would like the British weather much more then, even without any change in temperature.

BTW I reckon the best place for sunshine, warmth and high life expectancy may be Perth, Australia. That gets 3,200 hours!

I suspect the main reason for a long life expectancy in Japan, Switzerland and Norway is because they are richer countries in general than the Mediterranean ones. So I'd have thought a better invested healthcare system more readily able to deal with complex medical problems should they arise as people age. And it has to be said that a lot of people born in the Mediterranean don't usually sit out in the sun. They just don't don't see it as a good thing for some reason compared to people from colder climbs so despite living in a sunny country they are deficient in Vitamin D purely though not getting sun exposure and covering up. This was the case for a large number of covid patients in Spain.

_5947cc4c-1927-11eb-8018-0bdbc3b69c17.jp
WWW.HINDUSTANTIMES.COM

A study of over 200 Covid-19 cases in a hospital in Spain found that about 80 per cent patients had vitamin D deficiency.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, there’s no getting away from the fact that winter 20/21 was colder than average and the coldest overall since 2010/11, even c

The Met Office disagrees:

snowy-view-of-the-lake-district.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The winter of 2020/21 overall has been wet and dull with near average temperature.

Posted
9 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

Given our latitude, we're not a particularly cold or (barring the far west) a particularly wet country. We are a particularly grey country. I do actually like the British weather, as I'm not particularly keen on living in a land of extremes. But when we get those stubborn spells with day after day of grey gloom and you have to leave the lights on all day even in midsummer... now that weather I will moan about with the best of 'em! The last two Aprils (one warm, one cold) have both been very sunny. Imagine if we had that much sun most Aprils. I suspect people would like the British weather much more then, even without any change in temperature.

BTW I reckon the best place for sunshine, warmth and high life expectancy may be Perth, Australia. That gets 3,200 hours!

If snowy winters and hot summers were the norm in the UK, I doubt people on here would get so excited when they happen. People only want it because it is extreme and doesn't happen very often, and I suspect in the case of snow, it reminds them of carefree childhood. I doubt Canadians rave about -20C winter nights and I doubt Australians rave about 35-40C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

2nd of May and still full snow cover in the village. Reached 0.3c max today  and yes more snow falling. Never seen so much snow cover for this date. The never ending winter continues. Had enough now and want warmth and sunshine.. The local farmer has had his cattle locked up for nearly 8 months now and he is going mad ! Crazy cold.

C

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Can’t agree with some of that.

Guess it depends on ones location but I would say it was cold and very interesting.

Cold weather and snowfall was fairly widespread/persistent throughout the Winter months - late December, most of January and first half of February. (Obviously Northern parts get the majority of the cold/snow in Winter…just as Southern parts get the majority of the warmth/heat in Summer)

Throw in the BFTE that delivered for many (rubbish for some of course) and the coldest February minimum temperature (-23C) since 1955.

January was a proper Winter month. (2.1C below average for Scotland)

42BD5A86-DC41-4D88-BA28-893A7C1820F2.thumb.png.aa062dae25f3bd4cc904e0363d28a37f.png

8B391524-67BF-40A1-82ED-B09DFF509D62.thumb.gif.9515140efcbf7592318c7995672e4530.gif

I would take a Winter like that every year. 

DCE4E15F-3536-40C7-9EFB-53741CC2ED71.thumb.jpeg.4ce13419e1319eea8e61d54c1d97c8ff.jpeg

Scotland may have been colder than average over the whole winter (you emphasise January statistics which is only one of the three winter months). Some places may have got decent snow but many didn't. In Salford over Christmas there was just the light dusting on a couple of days which soon melted (i.e. the norm). I had to go up on the Forest of Bowland fells (400-500m asl) to see what I would call a good snow covering. In my home town of Horsham the best we could manage was one or two days with a partial covering, which is what we get in an average winter. From my perspective the winter just gone was nothing special, mediocre temperatures and a lack of mild spells compared to recent winters, just bog standard mediocre UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Personally I'm satisfied with the weather in the past 14 months apart from December and January which were cold and wet.

When looking at the Met Office actual maps it never ceases to amaze me the regional variations. The February cold spell was decent for Kent but a complete bust for a colleague in East Sussex. Same goes for heat where Kent was the only area which had a 'better than average' summer last year. 

It really depends what town you live in half the time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
18 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Personally I'm satisfied with the weather in the past 14 months apart from December and January which were cold and wet.

When looking at the Met Office actual maps it never ceases to amaze me the regional variations. The February cold spell was decent for Kent but a complete bust for a colleague in East Sussex. Same goes for heat where Kent was the only area which had a 'better than average' summer last year. 

It really depends what town you live in half the time!

The Feb cold spell also was a bust here, not even a dusting, but it was cold. Last summer was also good here too compared with everywhere else, lots of heat, lots of sunshine, just a shame there weren't any storms here to make it perfect. This spring so far has been very bland though.

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

2nd of May and still full snow cover in the village. Reached 0.3c max today  and yes more snow falling. Never seen so much snow cover for this date. The never ending winter continues. Had enough now and want warmth and sunshine.. The local farmer has had his cattle locked up for nearly 8 months now and he is going mad ! Crazy cold.

C

I saw an article in die Welt this week saying that Germany has just experienced it's coldest April since 1980. Is it similar in Austria too?

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, rwtwm said:

I saw an article in die Welt this week saying that Germany has just experienced it's coldest April since 1980. Is it similar in Austria too?

Hello, I have not seen any figures yet but would not be surprised as the lower than normal temps have been fairly widespread across much of Europe during April. Even today , another full days snow cover beckons. Just snow cover terrain and no sign of spring or early summer vegetation.  Hate it at this time of year . I now need sun , warmth and sit outside with a cold beer ! ( like many across Northern and Central Europe including British Isles )

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 2

Posted

A slight concern here now for grass and crop growth after -1c start to the day at 6.00am this morning.Having said that our latest turnout day for the cattle in the last 30 years was 16th May .Would have to check diaries for the year.Will probably switch to warm very suddenly.

In the meantime we will take cattle in at night for probably another week as high winds and cold rain/sleet are forecast in the next week and these are the worst conditions for cattle outside in exposed fields.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

A slight concern here now for grass and crop growth after -1c start to the day at 6.00am this morning.Having said that our latest turnout day for the cattle in the last 30 years was 16th May .Would have to check diaries for the year.Will probably switch to warm very suddenly.

In the meantime we will take cattle in at night for probably another week as high winds and cold rain/sleet are forecast in the next week and these are the worst conditions for cattle outside in exposed fields.

Hi @Northernlights see forecast snow level down to 300m in your part of the world for most of this working week. Sad to report another day of snowfall here , currently -0.3 c. Not sure I have seen so much lying  at this altitude previously on 3 rd May. Normally the pastures are now mostly snow free around the village with snowline further up the mountain, but all around is still covered in a thick layer of rather wet snow. My local farmer mate thinks it could be end of May before cattle are fully released to roam ( Highland stock ) based on current weather and conditions , thats if grass growth allows. Such a shock the winter that never ends ( thats the headlines over here ) after a run of previous years of early spring/summer warmth. Keep warm my friend !

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, B87 said:

I don't think this year will match the first 6 months of 2013, all of which were below average. A very cold winter, a record cold March, then a poor April-June.

Then out of nowhere, a hot July and warm August.

2013 was a year of two halves, first half consistently colder than average, with the exceptional March, and a very cool Apr-June period. A major switcharound in July, the rest of the year with the exception of November was notaby mild. 

2010 on the otherhand was consistently cold throughout, barely any notable warmth at all, bookended by the very cold January and severe December - quite an oddity..

Since 2013 there has not been a protracted colder than average period, we've had the odd month here and there, but nothing too sustained. 2021 so far has been rather topsy turvy, a cold January, a slightly milder than average February despite the early cold, a milder March and a notably cold April.. 

Thinking further back, 1993 produced a notably cold period from June to November, Dec 95 to May 96 was also notably cold, but by and large we've not had many lengthy cold periods upwards of 6 months over the last 30 years or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

This "spring" is the most disgusting mouldy pile of dung I've encountered probably since 2013. What a joke. I am glad things like this are fairly rare overall, at least. This rubbish is the reason why Easyjet is so successful. Thank God for the aeroplane.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Many of the Springs of the 80s were cold affairs including 1983,1984 and 1989 all only bettered since by 1995!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
24 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

This "spring" is the most disgusting mouldy pile of dung I've encountered probably since 2013. What a joke. I am glad things like this are fairly rare overall, at least. This rubbish is the reason why Easyjet is so successful. Thank God for the aeroplane.

Spring as a season is vastly overrated in my book, it teases you with warm weather one day, only to throw you back into winter the next.  In other words it promises you the earth , and half the time delivers f...k all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Love how people are complaining about the rain already after we've just had an unusually dry April. Though, it is indeed a bank holiday and mother nature seems to know that. She also knows that we are coming out of lockdown, so purposely trolls us. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

18 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Love how people are complaining about the rain already after we've just had an unusually dry April. Though, it is indeed a bank holiday and mother nature seems to know that. She also knows that we are coming out of lockdown, so purposely trolls us. 

Then will turn up the heat on May 17th lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
32 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

There were people complaining after 2 weeks of dryness after one of the wettest and dullest winters on record.

This May just gets worse and worse. I wonder if it will challenge May 1996 for the coldest here. That May had a putrefying average high of 15.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

The amount of rain foamers on here who go mad after two dry days is a lot more funny.

I personally moan about the cold, but I'd much rather the rain would be from something interesting like thunderstorms.... not useless, boring cold frontal mush.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I just hope after the 7th coldest April and what looks like being the coldest May on record, we get repaid big time from June to September, multiple heat records tumbling and 300 hours of sun a month.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
6 minutes ago, B87 said:

I just hope after the 7th coldest April and what looks like being the coldest May on record, we get repaid big time from June to September, multiple heat records tumbling and 300 hours of sun a month.

But what if having a cold April ( may has only just begun) was payback for the last 8-9 years of mostly above average months? Where would 'payback' draw a line? 

Edited by Freeze