Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Another statistic to show how extreme April has been. The lowest average minimum temperature for nearly 100 years.

cirrostratus-best-photo.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

April 2021 had the lowest average minimum temperatures for April in the UK since 1922, as air frost and clear conditions combined for a frost-laden, chilly month, despite long hours of sunshine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
5 hours ago, B87 said:

August 1997 was cloudy here, though warm (av max 25.8c)

August 2003 was sunny and very warm (26.4c), but it still doesn't compare to August 1995.

You are asking for a lot here,as 1995 in my area was the  2nd sunniest August in 120 years after 1947.

Out of the 8 sunniest Augusts in the same period all except 1995 have been before 1976.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 minute ago, hillbilly said:

You are asking for a lot here,as 1995 in my area was the  2nd sunniest August in 120 years after 1947.

Out of the 8 sunniest Augusts in the same period all except 1995 have been before 1976.

I'd be happy if we had August 2005 sunshine (250 hours), as the sunniest since then was 2016 with 222 hours (my average is 205). Since then, we have seen multiple Augusts with less than 150 hours of sun, so it's about time we had one with 250+.

Posted
18 minutes ago, B87 said:

I'd be happy if we had August 2005 sunshine (250 hours), as the sunniest since then was 2016 with 222 hours (my average is 205). Since then, we have seen multiple Augusts with less than 150 hours of sun, so it's about time we had one with 250+.

You would cry living here then as 1947 was the only August to have over 250 hours [254] 

With 1995 on 239 hrs no other August has given over 200 hrs since 1976 and only two over 180 hrs!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

You would cry living here then as 1947 was the only August to have over 250 hours [254] 

With 1995 on 239 hrs no other August has given over 200 hrs since 1976 and only two over 180 hrs!

I have some friends in Halifax and I always notice how chilly it seems to be even in the middle of summer. I think it's only been nice on one occasion when I've visited, in June/July 2019.

Have to admit you gotta love the uk weather, you literally can never predict a season here! Although April was cold sunshine amounts well above average and rainfall well below average!!!  
Heathrow ended April on 13° max mean for the month! Just slightly chillier than 2013 which had a max mean of 13.3°

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, B87 said:

I have some friends in Halifax and I always notice how chilly it seems to be even in the middle of summer. I think it's only been nice on one occasion when I've visited, in June/July 2019.

Not only that i used to live at 340 metres high on the hills which is 2 to 3 deg cooler than the valley where i live now.I reckon it is at least 6 deg cooler on the hills than southern England all year round.

Posted
29 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Not only that i used to live at 340 metres high on the hills which is 2 to 3 deg cooler than the valley where i live now.I reckon it is at least 6 deg cooler on the hills than southern England all year round.

Was that Queensbury or Mountain. I think Mountain is about 350m high. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Britneyfan said:

Have to admit you gotta love the uk weather, you literally can never predict a season here! Although April was cold sunshine amounts well above average and rainfall well below average!!!  
Heathrow ended April on 13° max mean for the month! Just slightly chillier than 2013 which had a max mean of 13.3°

No wonder us Brits talk about the weather so much. 

• Like 1

Well it’s May and nothing has changed, -2c here this morning and freezing cold. Outlook again for next gone from wet and damp to just cold with a slack northerly and showery. Looks like the first tercile of May is pretty much a write off, need major improvements going into the middle of the month if we are to start seeing temps getting back to average which for in the south will be 17-18c at least by then. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

May the 1st.

Gas fire on and car like a ice lolly? Ridiculously cold. Temp dropped yesterday to 6.8c in a rain shower at 3pm..

• Like 1

Posted

I must admit, I've tried my best to remain positive about this spell of weather but it's very tough. It's thoroughly depressing.

At least through most of April we had plenty of sunshine despite the cold starts.

Now we've lost the sun but kept the persistent cold temps and it also feels a lot damper and generally unpleasant.

It all feels very deflating for me and I'm sure many others feel similar. I don't think I've ever needed some warmth more than I do right now after the misery of the last year.

• Like 1

I’m in full blown moaning mode and we haven’t even got to Monday yet. What a god awful that looks. Meant to be teeing off shortly, I just don’t want to play it’s so cold.

Posted
12 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Doesn't the surrounding topography reduce the theoretical maximum sunshine hours?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

The only thing making it obvious its late Spring right now is the daylight length and the trees half bloomed. Strange to see reasonable daylight length similar to that of mid Summer yet outside it feels like mid January. 

Posted
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

The only thing making it obvious its late Spring right now is the daylight length and the trees half bloomed. Strange to see reasonable daylight length similar to that of mid Summer yet outside it feels like mid January. 

It doesn't feel anything like January. You've basically just given a load of reasons why it's totally different to January and then said it feels like mid January.

It's unpleasant yes but it doesn't feel like January with the high sun. When the sun pokes through you can really feel the heat in it.

• Like 2

Posted

Very light winds and feeling cold in May.

6.4c with lots of cumulus.

Air frost last night -0.0c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

It doesn't feel anything like January. You've basically just given a load of reasons why it's totally different to January and then said it feels like mid January.

It's unpleasant yes but it doesn't feel like January with the high sun. When the sun pokes through you can really feel the heat in it.

Well the sun certainly wasn't poking through at 5 am today while it was only 2c outside hence my meaning why it felt like January because of the temperature outside and hence why I said it was pretty obvious that it wasn't January because of daylight coming through and trees in bloom. 

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Well the sun certainly wasn't poking through at 5 am today while it was only 2c outside hence my meaning why it felt like January because of the temperature outside and hence why I said it was pretty obvious that it wasn't January because of daylight coming through and trees in bloom. 

A lot of cold lovers seem desperate to play down how disgraceful the last month has been for some reason. Apparently this is all normal and we are spoilt when we ask for some sunshine and 15C at the end of April, even though as posted above the April minimum has been the coldest in 100 years. People who love disgusting weather that stops you doing anything outside get to "enjoy" that 300 days of the year most years anyway, so let us have the other 65 if it isn't too much to ask please.

Posted

This is the sad view from my bedroom window.

Ask anyone any normal year ,what month it is, they'd say a winter month, not the first of may

IMG20210429200819.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

A lot of cold lovers seem desperate to play down how disgraceful the last month has been for some reason. Apparently this is all normal and we are spoilt when we ask for some sunshine and 15C at the end of April, even though as posted above the April minimum has been the coldest in 100 years. People who love disgusting weather that stops you doing anything outside get to "enjoy" that 300 days of the year most years anyway, so let us have the other 65 if it isn't too much to ask please.

Doesn't matter how much anyone tries to play it down, the data says it all. The lowest April mean minimum temperature for 100 years cannot be classed as normal. A frost count comparable to a full winter season cannot be classed as normal. This is the UK, not Svalbard. It seems as though a minority of people are so obsessed with cold and snow, or obsessed with trying to play down global warming, that they relish any cold and try to claim it is normal, even if it at the wrong time of year and it clearly isn't the norm. You can't argue with real data.

Edited by al78
  • Like 3