Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

the position of the above avarage hights is crucial to determine whether the south of the uk gets the warm dry air of if its more  north then then south will get the warm moist air well the north may get the hot dry humid air.hot humid air = the chance of higer instability    there fore meaning u have a better chance of devloping severer more violent thunderstorms  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I just made a quick tally of which month was the sunniest each year during the 1991-2020 period, the result is quite surprising. July (the sunniest month of the year) is the summer month with the lowest number of 'wins'.

Apr: 3

May: 4

Jun: 8

Jul: 6

Aug: 9

Just now, B87 said:

I just made a quick tally of which month was the sunniest each year during the 1991-2020 period, the result is quite surprising. July (the sunniest month of the year) is the summer month with the lowest number of 'wins'.

wow i would of thought June and August would be the sunniest 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
15 minutes ago, B87 said:

Im assuming most of those August wins are from the 90s, as the last 10-15yrs, August has been a pretty poor month most of the time.

End of April, middlE of the afternoon and the temps fallen to just 6c under the rain. That’s just not good enough, simply awful 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I'm on that tiny slither of coastline where it simply will not rain. It's been raining for hours in all direction but not here. It's going to be another one of them summers were it's bone dry here and heavy showers everywhere else around here.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Too much talk of being overdue.

We are overdue a 17.9C+ August (+1.5C) which is something weve achieved in the last decade for June and July at least twice Vs 2003 for August.

But equally we are also overdue a 13.0C< June (same negative anomoly) even moreso. Lengthen the anomolies and I suspect we are even more overdue cool over hot.

So yes August is overdue (was averaging about once every 10 years) but less so than we are overdue a truly horrific summer (07-12 may have been wet but the maximum anomoly was only -1.5C.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Wynn D Woo said:

Im assuming most of those August wins are from the 90s, as the last 10-15yrs, August has been a pretty poor month most of the time.

April: 2002, 2007, 2015

May: 1992, 1997, 2011, 2020

June: 1993, 1996, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2017

July: 1994, 1999, 2006, 2013, 2014, 2018

August: 1991, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2012, 2016, 2019

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
10 minutes ago, milomolly123 said:

something really nastys devloping were i am theres a crazy looking shelf cloud theres been reports of golf ball sized hail comeing from it it looked crazy on radar theres rotaiton on its leading edge im currtley in the macclesfield area its crazy 

There's nothing on the radar anywhere near that suggests golf ball sized hail. Certainly not in this set up. 

Perhaps golf ball sized snowflakes lol

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Notable today that there's still a distinct nip in the air even in direct sunlight. A week or two ago, that wasn't the case. I was outdoors with a few friends a couple of weekends ago and it felt very pleasant in the sun. With a noticeable breeze as well today, I'd want at least a jumper and possibly even a coat today in the same circs. Currently 8.9 °C, despite bright sunshine, on the last day of April. That is plain old cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
15 minutes ago, milomolly123 said:

something really nastys devloping were i am theres a crazy looking shelf cloud theres been reports of golf ball sized hail comeing from it it looked crazy on radar theres rotaiton on its leading edge im currtley in the macclesfield area its crazy 

Do you have any proof for these reports please?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am personally enjoying the change in weather and listening to the raindrops. I was starting to get tired of having to water the plants myself, and the goodness of rainwater is by far better than water from a tap. Obviously, I don't want it to go on for weeks on end though, and I especially hope we get no more frosts.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

End of April, middlE of the afternoon and the temps fallen to just 6c under the rain. That’s just not good enough, simply awful 

Could be worse, though arguably more interesting:

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

One of the most outrageous weather events April has ever given us occurred in 1908. Four days of heavy snow hit many parts of southern Britain from the

Four days of heavy snow hit many parts of southern Britain from the 23rd-26th, while Scotland and northern England endured unprecedentedly severe night frosts.

A phenomenal blizzard raged all day on the 25th across Wessex, the Thames Valley, and much of the Midlands. In a ferocious snow squall that afternoon the cruiser 'Gladiator' sank in Southampton Water after it was holed following a collision with another vessel. Worst hit by the snowstorm were north Hampshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire, and in the district bounded by Andover, Whitchurch and Kingsclere snow lay over 60cm deep at the end of the storm. Even in the city of Oxford the official observer noted a maximum depth of 42cm, the heaviest snowfall in any month there since February 1888, and not equalled since, while in Southampton the fall amounted to 37cm.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

To the 29th April Glasgow has 8.6mm of rain and 230.4 hours of sunshine, after today that's likely to be 9mm of rain and 237hrs of sunshine.

Making it both the driest and sunniest month in my records going back to 2008. Previous bests being May 2017 with 229.5hrs and April 2020 with 13.6mm

Can't complain really, despite it being a bit nippy.

Regarding the post above about sunniest months, in Glasgow it's May, April, June, July then august. May is quite a bit ahead as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
1 hour ago, B87 said:

April: 2002, 2007, 2015

May: 1992, 1997, 2011, 2020

June: 1993, 1996, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2017

July: 1994, 1999, 2006, 2013, 2014, 2018

August: 1991, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2012, 2016, 2019

That is interesting, recent Augusts certainly feel like they have been poor but evidently not that poor...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
19 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Could be worse, though arguably more interesting:

Could be worse, like getting murdered is worse than being repeatedly punched in the face, having your car stolen and your house burned down, but that doesn't make the latter any better.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Thundershine said:

I know the majority of netweather members are obviously enjoying it but this weather is complete and utter scum IMO. The kind of crap that gives this country its horrid reputation as being a cold, bleak, grim place with no sun and endless rain (even if it doesn't accumulate much). No blasted wonder EasyJet and Ryanair are such popular booming airlines, based in the British Isles no less.

After a dull and wet autumn and dull damp winter (Heathrow had its third dullest January on record), we really don't need a spring that is little more than a three month continuation of winter. The only good thing about April is it has been a sunny month which has moderated how chilly it feels when outside. It is quite remarkable to have a very sunny mid-spring with well below average temperatures. Once we get to the time of year when the sun is getting strong, it normally requires a dull wet month to bring below average temperatures.

Posted
2 minutes ago, al78 said:

After a dull and wet autumn and dull damp winter (Heathrow had its third dullest January on record), we really don't need a spring that is little more than a three month continuation of winter. The only good thing about April is it has been a sunny month which has moderated how chilly it feels when outside. It is quite remarkable to have a very sunny mid-spring with well below average temperatures. Once we get to the time of year when the sun is getting strong, it normally requires a dull wet month to bring below average temperatures.

Don't forget October being the dullest on record, with November, December, February and March also all being duller than average. It must have been the cloudiest 6 month spell on record at Heathrow.

The 220 hours or so that this April will end up with is a start, but ideally now we need a 6 month spell of sunnier than normal conditions.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
8 minutes ago, B87 said:

Don't forget October being the dullest on record, with November, December, February and March also all being duller than average. It must have been the cloudiest 6 month spell on record at Heathrow.

The 220 hours or so that this April will end up with is a start, but ideally now we need a 6 month spell of sunnier than normal conditions.

Last summer was also the dullest on record at Weston Park weather station, Sheffield in over 140 years of records. The last 10 months here has basically been drivel.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted

A few comments here about the quality of August as a summer month. I have pulled off a handful of the Met Office timeseries for August max temperature, sunshine and rainfall.

It is noticable that since the year 2000, August has got a bit wetter and there have been several very dull Augusts since then (2008 really stands out), eight have been sunnier than the 1981-2020 climatology and 13 have been duller. Rainfall and its annual variability is comparable to the 1940-1960 period, but with far less of the extremely wet Augusts. It looks like the year-to-year variability in August rainfall has been lower over the last 15 or so years, we haven't had any absolute soakers but most Augusts since 2000 have been wetter than the 1981-2010 climatology (although this climatology is probably heavily weighted by the dry Augusts in the 1990's). In terms of mean max temperature, there is a long term trend towards warmer Augusts consistent with climate change but the trend has plateaued since 2000, with the mean max temperature oscillating around the 1981-2010 climatology.

Englandmaxtemp.gif

Englandrain.gif

Englandsun.gif

Posted
9 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Last summer was also the dullest on record at Weston Park weather station, Sheffield in over 140 years of records. The last 10 months here has basically been drivel.

Summer here in SE England seemed worse than it was because it followed such a spectacular spring, but it was noticable how much the weather regressed going into July and August. My family live in Gtr Manchester and I am aware they have had much worse weather than me in recent years. I was camping in Capel Curig over the August bank holiday last year and woke up to a frost one morning.

Posted
37 minutes ago, al78 said:

Could be worse, like getting murdered is worse than being repeatedly punched in the face, having your car stolen and your house burned down, but that doesn't make the latter any better.

Alright.... I thought I was just posting something that some might have found interesting.

Anyway, I was hoping we would get some more average temps with W/SW winds next week even with some rain as some models hinted at that. However, it's trended towards a continuation of the cold airmass, so cool days (and cold nights), and potentially cold wet days when lows run into the UK, at least at first.

That would give me more moan about. In reality, although we've had a remarkable number of frosts this April, it's not been too bad by day here, if a bit cool. A sunny month too. My mean maxima is 13.0C, ahead of 2008, 2012, 2013, and 2016.

I'm definitely ready for a warm up though.

Edited by Evening thunder