Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
4 hours ago, virtualsphere said:

The problem with May 2012 is the last 2 weeks were the only decent dry sunny spell of the entire 'summer'!  Though I don't feel like this is a 2012 style year, for me more like 2013 but running a little later.  If that holds then we could have a cold start to summer but a decent spell later on, perhaps end of July into August, a bit later than the nice July weather in 2013.  Of course it could all surprise us as it often does!

This is nothing like 2012. April that year was very wet, completely the opposite of this year. April-June that year was one (if not the) wettest on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Worth remembering at this stage after a cold April and a cool outlook for the start of May, that 1983 provided us with an equally cold April and a cool May as well as a cool June.

But boy how it made up for it in the July and August of that year!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Timmytour said:

Worth remembering at this stage after a cold April and a cool outlook for the start of May, that 1983 provided us with an equally cold April and a cool May as well as a cool June.

But boy how it made up for it in the July and August of that year!!!

ye as long as we get a decent thunderstorm season then im happy 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I know the majority of netweather members are obviously enjoying it but this weather is complete and utter scum IMO. The kind of crap that gives this country its horrid reputation as being a cold, bleak, grim place with no sun and endless rain (even if it doesn't accumulate much). No blasted wonder EasyJet and Ryanair are such popular booming airlines, based in the British Isles no less.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
5 hours ago, virtualsphere said:

The problem with May 2012 is the last 2 weeks were the only decent dry sunny spell of the entire 'summer'!  Though I don't feel like this is a 2012 style year, for me more like 2013 but running a little later.  If that holds then we could have a cold start to summer but a decent spell later on, perhaps end of July into August, a bit later than the nice July weather in 2013.  Of course it could all surprise us as it often does!

How we are overdue a properly hot and sunny August. A repeat of July 2013 but in August is well overdue. That month had a 27c average high and almost 300 hours of sun here. You have to go back to 1995 to find an August as good!

I'd take that.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 minutes ago, B87 said:

How we are overdue a properly hot and sunny August. A repeat of July 2013 but in August is well overdue. That month had a 27c average high and almost 300 hours of sun here. You have to go back to 1995 to find an August as good!

What about 1997 and 2003?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
8 minutes ago, B87 said:

I'd take that.

What about last august? First half at least was properly hot with a 7 day stretch of 34+ temps, even here on the coast. It was insane for here.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

What about 1997 and 2003?

August 1997 was cloudy here, though warm (av max 25.8c)

August 2003 was sunny and very warm (26.4c), but it still doesn't compare to August 1995.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Freeze said:

What about last august? First half at least was properly hot with a 7 day stretch of 34+ temps, even here on the coast. It was insane for here.

Last August was very cloudy and wet here, if very hot during the 7-12th. The rest of it was nothing special (a bit like a cloudy version of 2003, which was fairly average outside of the heatwave).

August 1995 had sustained warmth throughout, rather than any insane heatwaves. The average high was 27c with a hottest day of 34c (9 days above 30c but only 3 days of 32c+). Sunshine was just shy of 300 hours, with no rain.

You have to go back to August 2005 to find the last very sunny August. Since then, only 2007, 2013, 2016 and 2019 have been slightly sunnier than average.

Edited by B87

11 minutes ago, B87 said:

Last August was very cloudy and wet here, if very hot during the 7-12th. The rest of it was nothing special (a bit like a cloudy version of 2003, which was fairly average outside of the heatwave).

August 1995 had sustained warmth throughout, rather than any insane heatwaves. The average high was 27c with a hottest day of 34c (9 days above 30c but only 3 days of 32c+). Sunshine was just shy of 300 hours, with no rain.

You have to go back to August 2005 to find the last very sunny August. Since then, only 2007, 2013, 2016 and 2019 have been slightly sunnier than average.

yes  i remember them very well 2018 was a shocker for me but last year was the winning one for me with that thunderstorm on 12 august 2020 it was epic more summers like that and i will be a happy chappy  

Posted
13 minutes ago, B87 said:

August 95 was the hottest on record though you cant seriously be saying we're overdue that? I'd happily have a repeat of last year, it was very good here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It certainly does not feel like spring out there. It's not chilly, it actually feels cold. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Freeze said:

August 95 was the hottest on record though you cant seriously be saying we're overdue that? I'd happily have a repeat of last year, it was very good here.

I'd be happy if we had last years temperatures with 2005's sunshine (250 hours). What we really need is a very sunny August, as the only sunny ones here since then have recorded 213, 218, 222 and 222 hours respectively, vs an average of 205.

July seems to be able to deliver good summer weather regularly, yet August (with the same average temperatures and sun), often fails.

Edited by B87

1 minute ago, Freeze said:

last year was good we had lots of decent thunderstorms thats the kind of summers i like and the extream heatwaves = severe thunderstorms so anything that includes heatwaves and severe thunderstorms im in 

Posted
1 minute ago, milomolly123 said:

last year was good we had lots of decent thunderstorms thats the kind of summers i like and the extream heatwaves = severe thunderstorms so anything that includes heatwaves and severe thunderstorms im in 

We had the heat but no thunderstorms here last august unfortunately.

Posted

We had a cloudy August here, with 180 hours of sun. Compared to last July, which was the first sub-200 hour July since 2012 and got into the 190s.

1 minute ago, Freeze said:

i hope u get u turn this summer mother nature was very kind to us lest year we had about 12 thunderstorms 5 of them were severe all it takes is all the right ingredients to makea decent storm u need cape lift and a good level of deep layer shear then ur good to go mate  

Posted
2 minutes ago, milomolly123 said:

i hope u get u turn this summer mother nature was very kind to us lest year we had about 12 thunderstorms 5 of them were severe all it takes is all the right ingredients to makea decent storm u need cape lift and a good level of deep layer shear then ur good to go mate  

I'm right on the coast most of the action usually happens to the north of here. I'm sure I'll get one this year.

Posted
5 minutes ago, B87 said:

We had a cloudy August here, with 180 hours of sun. Compared to last July, which was the first sub-200 hour July since 2012 and got into the 190s.

My area usually does well with sunshine, it's the heat that usually lacks.

Posted

Going back to 2007, 8 of the last 14 years had a sunnier April than August here, including a run of 5 consecutive years from 2007-2011! In the previous 16 years from 1991-2006, it only happened twice (1997 and 2002).

That is insane when April averages 170 hours and August 205.

Edited by B87

I'm right on the coast most of the action usually happens to the north of here. I'm sure I'll get one this year.

if we get warm air advection then u will be ok it just depends what side of the ridge of above average hights  your on  then u will be good to go but if the ridge is on the south east side or centered more towards france then u will pull more warmer air of the English channel