Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The potential for warmth exists given that the low pressures modelled on the Euro are still fairly weak (slower pace may drag up warmth in advance) but I can't say I'm pinning my hopes on GEFS forecasts post 10.

In the more liable 10 day period cool and damp is the order of the day.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/topkarten.php?map=1&model=ecm&var=1&run=0&time=240&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=24#mapref

Posted
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

It's not really an azure high returning with a vengeance in my view, but at least it's making it's appearance is the best I could give it.

Posted
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

Please. I feel sick looking at what's in store for the next 2 weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful sunny skies again here in Prague but only 9°C currently, very poor. Hope the pattern changes soon, think I’d take some rain if it warmed up

Barely a cloud in the sky and just 11c, thought we'd get to 15/16C again today but temp is firmly sat at 11C and again it feels cold in the breeze. Plenty more of this to come but without the sun and more rainy. Going to be a horrid spell. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I don't mind cool summers, 24c by day 10c at night low humidity........perfect, but if these temps carry on into the summer, it will be  heating on throughout the year and Eon will be salivating at all the extra profits coming in, that they will be obliged to raise the prices further in October just because they can.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
9 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I don't mind cool summers, 24c by day 10c at night low humidity........perfect, but if these temps carry on into the summer, it will be  heating on throughout the year and Eon will be salivating at all the extra profits coming in, that they will be obliged to raise the prices further in October just because they can.

In what world is 24C a cool summer's day in the UK?  The hot July of 2013 had a CET mean maximum of 24C!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

In what world is 24C a cool summer's day in the UK?  The hot July of 2013 had a CET mean maximum of 24C!

london temps lol 24c is a bog standard cool summer day here these days

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Agreed, 24c is not very inspiring.   The general theme appears to be rather wet at times and cool. Nothing great, but futile to right off the whole of summer based on a cool wet week at the beginning of May.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

I don't mind cool summers, 24c by day 10c at night low humidity........

That's called a warm Summer round here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
54 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I was almost jealous, but then I remember how unpleasant London is when temperatures reach the mid 90s Fahrenheit! 

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

I was almost jealous, but then I remember how unpleasant London is when temperatures reach the mid 90s Fahrenheit! 

yes it is disgusting lol 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Days of 24c are fine as long as it doesn't drop below about 18c in the evening so we can all stay outside late. I'm getting bored of having the heating on and running out of firewood

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

SSTs right now must be cold, if not very cold so i dont expect much this summer. 

Yes SST’s are going to be a problem, despite rising to about 9.8c they are still below average. Giving the lengthy extremely cold coming up they could even fall. If that happens we’d be going into mid May with sea temps over 2c below average and be in a place we’ve not been in decades. Would suggest it’ll make for a foggy nightmare for coasts once any warmer does arrive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

A typical London July/August of 23-24c highs with 14-15c mins and 200-220 hours of sun is perfectly acceptable.

I just can't see how we will even get an average summer this year. A 21-22c July would be a huge disappointment.

47 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Days of 24c are fine as long as it doesn't drop below about 18c in the evening so we can all stay outside late. I'm getting bored of having the heating on and running out of firewood

And remember days of 24c in London mean much lower elsewhere. But yes temperatures really need to hold above 18c to at least 9 or 10pm to make being outside even remotely enjoyable with lots of layers. 

2 minutes ago, B87 said:

A typical London July/August of 23-24c highs with 14-15c mins and 200-220 hours of sun is perfectly acceptable.

I just can't see how we will even get an average summer this year. A 21-22c July would be a huge disappointment.

Since July 2013 the Heathrow average max for July is 25.4c.......

Even here on the coast the July max for the last 8 summers has been 23.4c..

Edited by Alderc

Posted
9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Since July 2013 the Heathrow average max for July is 25.4c.......

Long term average for July is 23.5c for 81-10 or 23.9c for 91-20. 

Is that 23.4c for Bournemouth or for Hurn (probably the least representative of any city climate in the UK).

Edited by B87

18 minutes ago, B87 said:

Long term average for July is 23.5c for 81-10 or 23.9c for 91-20. 

Is that 23.4c for Bournemouth or for Hurn (probably the least representative of any city climate in the UK).

25.4c and 23.4c (Bournemouth) were for the last 8years, but shows how lucky we’ve been. Even a remotely poor summer would feel like a disaster compared to recently. I’ve just had a feeling in my gut for Several months now we’re going to get a an absolute howler. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

25.4c and 23.4c (Bournemouth) were for the last 8years, but shows how lucky we’ve been. Even a remotely poor summer would feel like a disaster compared to recently. I’ve just had a feeling in my gut for Several months now we’re going to get a an absolute howler. 

For London, the last howler summer months by month were 2016 (June), 2012 (July), 2017 (August). We haven't seen a really sunny August (250+) since 2005 though.

Half of the summers following 200+ hour Aprils here started incredibly poorly, but ended up with decent Augusts. Maybe this will be the year.

Edited by B87

Posted

Another day of full sunshine, so that's 9 out of the last 10 days.

A max temp of 14.8C, about average for the end of April, so a good day overall. It's fantastic weather for being active! The breeze did have a slightly colder feel this morning though.

Some talk about Spring foliage being the latest people have seen, but surely 2013 was later? Gradually getting a bit greener here, more trees (e.g. Oak, Beech) coming into leaf. Apple blossom is starting to come out. Obviously later many recent springs, but not sure how far behind the long term average we are here (peak apple blossom is traditionally early May).
Obviously may be different in other places as I haven't been there.

If we get cool damp weather through May I'll be getting more fed up though.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Another day of full sunshine, so that's 9 out of the last 10 days.

A max temp of 14.8C, about average for the end of April, so a good day overall. It's fantastic weather for being active! The breeze did have a slightly colder feel this morning though.

Some talk about Spring foliage being the latest people have seen, but surely 2013 was later? Gradually getting a bit greener here, more trees (e.g. Oak, Beech) coming into leaf. Apple blossom is starting to come out. Obviously later many recent springs, but not sure how far behind the long term average we are here (peak apple blossom is traditionally early May).
Obviously may be different in other places as I haven't been there.

If we get cool damp weather through May I'll be getting more fed up though.

Yes a lot of trees round here in 2013 did not come into leaf until well into May. This year they are opening now. So about a month earlier than 2013.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1