Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
44 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

I can't believe there's talk of reservoirs drying up already i would've thought they would be nicely full and topped up to last another 5 months. 

That's not how it works in the north though with the reliance on the reservoirs in the Lake District- they need consistent rainfall to keep the levels high.

I believe it's less of an issue in the south with aquifers providing more of the water.

Posted

Maybe I'm one of very few enjoying the current spell of weather?  It's not felt too chilly here in west Wales, aside from first thing in the morning, and the sunny dry weather has been a very welcome break from the deluge of the 18 months prior to March (last April & May aside).  We've been overdue a lengthy dry spell here and I'm hoping it will last into the summer this time, unlike last year! 

• Like 1

Posted

Don't think I've seen so many frosty mornings in April in my whole life. I have to admit it has been quite a sunny April too. It is more or less like April last year. Barely a drop of rain and plenty of sunshine. The only major difference is the temperatures this April compared to last year

I remember as soon as lockdown 1 came in last year the weather also performed a massive switch too at the same time from all that wet weather in winter????? 2019/20 or should I say the last half of 6 months long autumn 2019/20.

This year we have performed a weather flip of sorts again. Have that warm spell late March and then as soon as April arrives and we ease restrictions we go colder than average. At least the sun has decided to show its face however but it would be good if we can finally get spring started properly and save these cold synoptics for winter 2021/22 instead of wasting them now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Its been a another fantastic day here today, clear blue sky's and been in my T-shirt all day, from last sunday when i woke up to a covering of snow, we've had clear blue sky's and sun everyday since, as the weeks gone on its got gradually warmer and although the nights are chilly (slight frost) it's been a lovely sunny week, could do with it being a tad warmer if i were to be picky, but perfectly usable outside type of weather,

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

From a CET point at least there have been some rather subjective assertions of cool April's being referenced to warm summers. A quick check setting the bar at 7.9C and 15.5/17.7/17.4C suggests that about a third of cool April's produced a warm month so pretty much what you'd expect given standard variation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst I have enjoyed the first half of spring, I am starting to get bored now as there hasn't really been much progression in temperatures so far this month. Early this week temperatures are going to rise by a few degrees for a couple of days, then it will be back to the 12-14 Celsius range again. I wouldn't be surprised if 20 Celsius isn't achieved this month.
Here's hoping that May will be more eventful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I'm very much in the camp that mother nature always balances things out in the long run. After such a extended dry spell, a wet May/early June i feel is on the cards....to be honest the farmers would quite like that!

Posted

How many years have we had to put up with the northern blocking in Summer?? Its happened in Spring this year.. The weather pattern will eventually change. Even if the jet stream kicks into play. hopefully  most of the time its steered further north. I would rather have  a less settled regime if we get lots of sunny days with warmer temperatures. 

Cold sunny days don't offer much for us who likes warmth. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

saying that, its gonna be a decent spring day today so can't complain  not yet anyway

Enjoy the next 2 days at 17c....temps dropping back to low teens after. No signs of any proper warmth any time soon either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 hours ago, markyo said:

I'm very much in the camp that mother nature always balances things out in the long run. After such a extended dry spell, a wet May/early June i feel is on the cards....to be honest the farmers would quite like that!

A 6 month spell of sunny weather then please! It's only really been dry for a month and a half. October to January was incredibly wet.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
4 hours ago, markyo said:

How delightful... I can't wait.

Posted

Rainfall here since October 2020 (% of 91-20 avg).

Oct: 142.2mm (218%)

Nov: 50.2mm (75%)

Dec: 72.4mm (127%)

Jan: 91.6mm (156%)

Feb: 32.4mm (72%)

Mar: 24.6mm (63%)

Bearing in mind that last year, only May, July and September were dry months, I think we are due a mostly drier than average year for once.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

Rainfall here since October 2020 (% of 91-20 avg).

Oct: 142.2mm (218%)

Nov: 50.2mm (75%)

Dec: 72.4mm (127%)

Jan: 91.6mm (156%)

Feb: 32.4mm (72%)

Mar: 24.6mm (63%)

Bearing in mind that last year, only May, July and September were dry months, I think we are due a mostly drier than average year for once.

Certainly seems a lot more extreme in modern years (which is what you’d expect in a warming climate), and a lot of very dry or very wet months courtesy of long lasting weather patterns. For this April it’s the turn of high pressure to stick around all month. May looks likely to begin unsettled....I wonder if it’ll be temporary, or another pattern lock in for weeks on end?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
8 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Enjoy the next 2 days at 17c....temps dropping back to low teens after. No signs of any proper warmth any time soon either.

It can stay like this all summer for me, temps 17 to 20'C is nicer than 30'C with conditions like today. 

Clear blue sky with hardly a breath of wind. 

Posted

17c here which is the warmest day of the month so far. Even April 1989 managed 18c. The average warmest day of the month should reach 22c, though it looks like we won't even get to 20c this year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

An excellent day today, and it felt warmer than the 15 °C it was, once you were out of the breeze that is. Sun > mercury at this time of year!

To be fair, the immediate outlook isn't terrible by any means. Just not very warm on the days cloud dominates, Wednesday in particular in these parts looks chilly and grey. Just need a dry and moderately warm bank holiday weekend now...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

mist off the north sea, tomorrow looks yucky

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
11 hours ago, markyo said:

My trouble with this is, how do you know that this dry spell isn't balancing out the 7th wettest winter on record for England and Wales, we just had? 

• Like 4

Posted

You know in winter when we chase the cold and it fails to arrive? It feel like this now, but the other way round chasing the heat. Just feels like it will never come. 

Posted
1 hour ago, steveh19 said:

You know in winter when we chase the cold and it fails to arrive? It feel like this now, but the other way round chasing the heat. Just feels like it will never come. 

I’m not even bothered about heat In April. Even average temperatures around the mid teens feel nice....sadly we’ve had too many days stuck at 8-12c max which still feels chilly. Once you get to 16c+ then that cold edge to the air just goes and makes it all the more pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, steveh19 said:

I suppose we have gotten used to reasonably warm temps in April as we have been fairly spoiled over the last couple of decades (with the exception of the odd one here and there), so getting an average at best or even cooler than average April comes a huge disappointment to some. Whilst I don't expect it to be that warm in April, I must admit that I am getting bored of 11-14 Celsius temps now. April is suppoed to be a transitional month where fluctuating temperatures are the norm. I haven't really seen much of that this time round. The anticyclone currently in charge of our weather either needs to do one or change its position.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91