Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, Freeze said:

The dry season on the south coast lasts from now until the end of August. At least it has done here for the last 10 or so years, scorched grass and dusty paths are a recurring theme in summer nowadays. Last 3 summers it certainly has been.

Scorched grass is a rare thing up here in NW England. We don't seem to get prolonged dry spells in the heart of summer like the SE corner. 2018 brought it though as I can remember thinking the grass hasn't been like that since 1995. Practically everywhere was yellow/brown with not a tint of green. That's why the moorlands just a few miles to my east ended up on fire, the land isn't used to prolonged dry weather, that and irresponsible people taking bbq's up there in the tinder dry conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Feeling a bit bored with the current weather pattern here. It’s fairly bright and dry by day but it’s unpleasantly chilly. Might snow again tomorrow and Friday, with rain forecast for the 5 days after that. Hopefully some warmer conditions will arrive soon. 

2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Feeling a bit bored with the current weather pattern here. It’s fairly bright and dry by day but it’s unpleasantly chilly. Might snow again tomorrow and Friday, with rain forecast for the 5 days after that. Hopefully some warmer conditions will arrive soon. 

Yes this is boring, if we’d had mostly sunny skies and temps up to around average this would have been great for golf and walking and generally being outside but instead 11c and overcast is just cold and miserable to for April. Only April 1st and 3rd made average there, every other day below and looks like that trend will now continue for another week. 

Posted
7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Scorched grass is a rare thing up here in NW England. We don't seem to get prolonged dry spells in the heart of summer like the SE corner. 2018 brought it though as I can remember thinking the grass hasn't been like that since 1995. Practically everywhere was yellow/brown with not a tint of green. That's why the moorlands just a few miles to my east ended up on fire, the land isn't used to prolonged dry weather, that and irresponsible people taking bbq's up there in the tinder dry conditions.

I noticed how stunted plant growth was during first half of 2018. First the cold spells delayed the spring and then from May onwards, it was very dry and that held back growth. 

• Like 1

Posted

mid spring and still de-icing the car every morning. The house is freezing cold and so is the office. Sickening.

Posted
8 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It's not quite as rare as you make out though in NW England.

The grass was very brown in the summer of 2006 as well around Manchester.

There was also a period last year in early June when the verges were rather brown and patched around here.

It's definitely more unusual than it is further south and east (and often less prolonged) but it does happen on occasion.

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Standout for this April so far for me is the number of air frosts there have been, just recorded the 11th air frost  so far.  

A consequence of just how clear it's been- it's been a very sunny month so far which looks like continuing.

Cold, sunny Aprils must be quite an unusual combination.

6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

A consequence of just how clear it's been- it's been a very sunny month so far which looks like continuing.

Cold, sunny Aprils must be quite an unusual combination.

It’s not sunny everywhere, only 41% of the month avg so far so below average here still. The infill for the last three days is dragging us down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Yes this is boring, if we’d had mostly sunny skies and temps up to around average this would have been great for golf and walking and generally being outside but instead 11c and overcast is just cold and miserable to for April. Only April 1st and 3rd made average there, every other day below and looks like that trend will now continue for another week. 

Next week looks a bit warmer for much of the UK, at least but it won’t reach even the mid teens here. Pretty poor, I’m long over it now. Need some sun, warmer temperatures and I’d quite happily enjoy watching some decent April convection, too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

As long as this weather continues I'll be happy, temps might not be that high but sat in sun with little or no wind it feels much warmer, it probably is as temps are measured in shade. 

• Like 1

Posted
49 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s not sunny everywhere, only 41% of the month avg so far so below average here still. The infill for the last three days is dragging us down.

Not everywhere perhaps but it explains why air frosts have been so frequent in these parts.

My local weather station is running at just under 100 hours up to yesterday and another clear morning now. Probably be close to 110 hours for the first half.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

For me this month would be ok if that wind would sod off or at least be lighter. If that wind went away it would actually be an early summer month imo, I know it's not summer temperatures but just being in that sun and not having that wind is pleasant enough for me to chill out on the lounger, though i'd still like it to be warmer but it's decent enough to chill outside

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 1

Posted

percentage of blue sky beginning to shrink due to the almost clockwork appearance of flattened-cumulus infill.

Another cold and grey afternoon beckons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I have mixed feelings about this current weather setup. As a gardener and nature lover, I think we are overdue a good rainfall or two. On the other hand, it is nice going out for a walk in the sun and as someone who doesn't own a clothes dryer this is good weather for drying your laundry. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
13 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

London even had yellow/brown grass in 2012, though it had to wait until August/September that year.

• Like 1

Posted

More sleet/graupel showers today. Meanwhile there's a foot of snow on the nearby hills (about 500m). Sadly by the time I get a chance to visit it will probably be all gone.

Posted
6 hours ago, Scorcher said:

It's not quite as rare as you make out though in NW England.

The grass was very brown in the summer of 2006 as well around Manchester.

There was also a period last year in early June when the verges were rather brown and patched around here.

It's definitely more unusual than it is further south and east (and often less prolonged) but it does happen on occasion.

I think your view is through rose tinted spectacles though as I don't recall seeing much in the way of drought stress in those periods you mention. Maybe July 2006 for a brief time but look at the big gaps between these years. My point of it being rare still clearly stands. Unfortunately Manchester is poor for hot weather really, especially compared to down south. The city doesn't get a reputation for rain for nothing. It might not be now but Spring is on average the driest period for the area anyway. So nothing unusual. Like last year it will probably be wet again from June onwards. If you did a forecast for this most years it would be more right than wrong. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, B87 said:

London even had yellow/brown grass in 2012, though it had to wait until August/September that year.

Yeah when looking through all the years at Heathrow for their max temps on weatheronline it's rarely below 20C every summer. Up here that would be classed as great.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Standout for this April so far for me is the number of air frosts there have been, just recorded the 11th air frost  so far.  

Yes, we just had our 9th air frost of the month this morning.  The 1991-2020 average is 1.2 and the previous maximum was 5 in April 1984. The mean min for the first half of the month has been -0.1C compared to the rolling average of 4.0C. Exceptionally frosty.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
52 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yeah when looking through all the years at Heathrow for their max temps on weatheronline it's rarely below 20C every summer. Up here that would be classed as great.

Yes - Heathrow/Kew Gardens definitely benefits from the urban heat island effect compared to the UK overall.

740267ED-4558-4D98-BA81-45377A46A7DE.thumb.png.3e439b4a4e79340858806fdbd6b70540.png

Going back to the Manchester rainfall discussion...15th wettest city in the UK.
Always thought it would be higher! 

Cardiff at number one. 

Information below was taken from Met Office rainfall figures between 1981 - 2015.

82A3FEFF-4043-4F97-B4A6-9F59A9B36444.thumb.jpeg.725327670524f1226285e7bc654f6c5b.jpeg

I can also see why some folk are complaining about sunshine duration over the last six months or so.

October:

CB4E815A-D9B4-4B01-978D-62F3CE4E16BA.thumb.png.45fddfd44efaba9d612f706e75e8aa8f.png

November:

4655FEEF-112C-4B85-A079-6A605A8B2BA2.thumb.png.3c3874e24e80a8f58b4273ce0f938ea6.png

December:

92ECE6F7-68CB-4166-A8AD-8B8584087554.thumb.png.c272bf7587382aa8813eafda0bdbd21c.png

January:

2A9ABC14-BC8C-40EE-B0BA-73D80BAFB6E3.thumb.jpeg.a887c4b9e8a90d00b83d7c6e8ab83beb.jpeg

February:

C0A54626-E913-49BA-9A14-A05B32C40A8B.thumb.jpeg.c8323324d3f82e91766737744d843ca4.jpeg

March:

615A67C7-3C25-4F20-9CFD-556AD2E36284.thumb.jpeg.166257d233b99d3f453097341f240758.jpeg

Not too bad here..average to above average. 
Excluding November...that was woeful!

This month has been above average also.

Hopefully a warm/sunny May for us all with some decent thunderstorms thrown in. 
Last couple months of May have been fairly quiet.

May 2019:

B642FF5F-5E93-4D6D-A3D2-6FBE8414CC3B.thumb.gif.dbd5f6299ddf5848d8ee768e65dfe8b1.gif

May 2020:

233AAEB7-66DE-401D-BCA8-9127FA475E4E.thumb.png.19039db8dda8d71abfedd7a17fb95b10.png

May 2014: The most recent one I can think of that delivered the goods IMBY.

5CF313A9-E7EB-4CB6-BD05-C8D627D56CB9.thumb.gif.f3135976ffe6d032b4576d58f9afe280.gif

All the best to you all.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Really puts it in perspective how chilly it has been, December didn’t seem like a mild month to me!

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I think your view is through rose tinted spectacles though as I don't recall seeing much in the way of drought stress in those periods you mention. Maybe July 2006 for a brief time but look at the big gaps between these years. My point of it being rare still clearly stands. Unfortunately Manchester is poor for hot weather really, especially compared to down south. The city doesn't get a reputation for rain for nothing. It might not be now but Spring is on average the driest period for the area anyway. So nothing unusual. Like last year it will probably be wet again from June onwards. If you did a forecast for this most years it would be more right than wrong. 

I do have grass and I've seen it brown on a number of occasions though. It's definitely not a once in 20 year thing around here.

Of course it isn't as common as in the south and east. 

In 2006 the grass was certainly brown where I was living.

As for heat, Manchester does okay compared to most central towns and cities in England. Southerly or southeasterly flows are ideal here and easterlies are pretty good too.

There is a very sharp drop off to the rest of the NW region though- places like Preston and Blackburn don't do nearly as well and Liverpool gets a lot of sea breezes.

It goes without saying that we will never do as well as the SE though.