Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

1 hour ago, B87 said:

12c is still far too cold to comfortably sit outside if there is even the slightest hint of a breeze. 15c-16c and up would be much nicer at this time of year.

Depends, I’ve been sat outside this week in a jumper and been just fine, I’m Greater London and has been lots of sunshine and I’ve felt okay, so 12 degrees for me is comfortable 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I swear after this is over I will never complain about average weather again 

im sure this will come back to bite you in the behind forever more on here 

• Like 1

Posted

Appears to be a lot of bemoaning of this cold spell.. we had alot of mild even warm weather second half of March and this may have lulled people into a sense that its all warm steam ahead.. as we know April is our most fickle month and can see sudden flips to winter mode as we are seeing.

I'd much rather we had this cold dry sunny weather than days of grey clag and rain.. mind April tends to least deliver such conditions, and I'm always thankful for its arrival, marking the better third of the year for the NW (April-July).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Appears to be a lot of bemoaning of this cold spell.. we had alot of mild even warm weather second half of March and this may have lulled people into a sense that its all warm steam ahead.. as we know April is our most fickle month and can see sudden flips to winter mode as we are seeing.

I'd much rather we had this cold dry sunny weather than days of grey clag and rain.. mind April tends to least deliver such conditions, and I'm always thankful for its arrival, marking the better third of the year for the NW (April-July).

Consider yourself lucky to have sunshine. Down here we've had cold AND cloud. It was part and parcel of Dec-mid Feb but now it's just a pain.

Posted

There’s been more sunshine in London from this chilly weather than all that mild weather it can continue on  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
48 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Appears to be a lot of bemoaning of this cold spell.. we had alot of mild even warm weather second half of March 

I'm not sure about the "We"

I only recorded 4 days in March of what I would call mild or warm.

And as MP-R said, it hasn't been anywhere near as sunny down in these parts.

Winter was bad enough in terms of nothingness, but March has followed suit, and now April is as well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
13 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm not sure about the "We"

I only recorded 4 days in March of what I would call mild or warm.

And as MP-R said, it hasn't been anywhere near as sunny down in these parts.

Winter was bad enough in terms of nothingness, but March has followed suit, and now April is as well. 

Even with that mild/warm spell at the end of March, we probably had two days of decent sunshine here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's been up and down here in N Worcs. Easter Monday for example was chilly and the wind had a bite to it, but the afternoon was fairly sunny and if you could get somewhere sheltered it was quite pleasant. Today was just grey and unpleasant all round: a max of 6.8 °C and overcast until nearly sunset. Looks like creeping into double figures tomorrow, which will at least be an improvement if any showers keep away. Might even see a glimmer of brightness.

I suppose I'm probably partly mentally comparing this April with the same time last year, which is unfair as last April was exceptional. But a few sunny days in the low-mid teens really would be nice, even if the price is some sharp April showers in between the sunny spells. Unfortunately it looks like being a while yet before we get that kind of thing.

Posted

Snowing again here but yesterday's cover is gradually thawing. Got 3-4cm in the space of about half an hour, which is pretty impressive.

It's supposed to be 20C again on Sunday and Monday before temperatures come crashing down once more on Tuesday. Quite the rollercoaster! 

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 3

Posted

I think I saw somewhere it has been the dullest 5-6 months on record which would surprise me because I’ve seen the sun about 4 times since September (not including the last few days, which although freezing, have been kinda sunny). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, AderynCoch said:

Snowing again here but yesterday's cover is gradually thawing. Got 3-4cm in the space of about half an hour, which is pretty impressive.

It's supposed to be 20C again on Sunday and Monday before temperatures come crashing down once more on Tuesday. Quite the rollercoaster! 

Similar conditions here in Prague, but no laying snow now. Had an impressively heavy snow shower yesterday that dumped a couple of cm’s, couldn’t see across the road.

20°C forecast for Sunday here (lovely) but by Tuesday a maximum of 3°C is expected with further snow. Crazy  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I think I saw somewhere it has been the dullest 5-6 months on record which would surprise me because I’ve seen the sun about 4 times since September (not including the last few days, which although freezing, have been kinda sunny). 

Someone posted a stat the other day showing the last six months all well below average sunshine in their neck of the woods. It wasn't just 98% or something either, but well below (eg 50-70%) for most/all months. It's been very very poor in some areas at least for sun lovers.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Britneyfan said:

Depends, I’ve been sat outside this week in a jumper and been just fine, I’m Greater London and has been lots of sunshine and I’ve felt okay, so 12 degrees for me is comfortable 

I’m in London, and anything below 14c is too cold to sit around in. Yes the sun does help at this time of year, due to it being stronger compared to a month or so ago, but it’s still chilly if there’s a wind or under cloudy conditions. 

I’ll take the cold now, if it means we get a warm sunny July and august. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Been a sunny spring here so far compared to most with solidly above average sunshine following on from an average Nov-Feb, sunny Sep/Oct and record dull summer. No complaints from me, it's been very nice with lots of fine days since the last week of February besides the cloudy but dry first 2 weeks of March.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Feb and March were probably sunnier than average in Leeds.

Posted

The sunshine does seem to have been very patchy. I would guess that the overall Met Office stat for England (very close to average) conceals an awful lot of regional variation.

A decent morning here today, with quite a bit of mostly hazy sunshine. Definitely felt warmer than yesterday. Deteriorated into yet more grey gunk after lunch, though, a weather type which I would gladly do totally without for a long time now! Looks like yet more cold over the weekend  here, but then a sloooooow warm up. Heaven knows when we might see 20 °C again, though. At this rate it might not be until May!

Posted
22 hours ago, Azazel said:

This would surprise me if true- there have been some dull months but wouldn't have put it in record breaking territory.

Where did you see that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

If we get all the cold out of the way in April and then a May to rival 2008, 2017 or 2018 then I'll be happy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
5 hours ago, Scorcher said:

This would surprise me if true- there have been some dull months but wouldn't have put it in record breaking territory.

Where did you see that?

October and January were exceptional (around 45-55%), if not the dullest on record. November was very cloudy. December, February and March were around 70-85% of average.

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

October and January were exceptional (around 45-55%), if not the dullest on record. November was very cloudy. December, February and March were around 70-85% of average.

February was definitely above average for sunshine in these parts- in fact considerably above average I believe. I'm interested to see an official stat backing up that statement about it being the dullest 5-6 months on record. I find that hard to believe considering the smog that blighted the UK in years gone by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
20 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

February was definitely above average for sunshine in these parts- in fact considerably above average I believe. I'm interested to see an official stat backing up that statement about it being the dullest 5-6 months on record. I find that hard to believe considering the smog that blighted the UK in years gone by.

Look at Heathrow's sunshine hours since September 2020, the last time we had a sunny month. These are the corrected values, not the raw ones. * values are estimated.

Sep 2020: 183.7 hours (117% of 91-20 avg)

Oct 2020: 57.2 hours (50%) - dullest on record

Nov 2020: 48.2 hours (68%)

Dec 2020: 39.1 hours (71%)

Jan 2021: 30.8 hours* (50%) - 2nd dullest on record

Feb 2021: 62.3 hours* (79%)

Mar 2021: 98.6 hours* (79%)

That's a 6 month period with just 66% of the average sunshine.

Edited by B87

Posted
7 minutes ago, B87 said:

Look at Heathrow's sunshine hours since September 2020, the last time we had a sunny month. These are the corrected values, not the raw ones. * values are estimated.

Sep 2020: 183.7 hours (117% of 91-20 avg)

Oct 2020: 57.2 hours (50%) - dullest on record

Nov 2020: 48.2 hours (68%)

Dec 2020: 39.1 hours (71%)

Jan 2021: 30.8 hours* (50%) - 2nd dullest on record

Feb 2021: 62.3 hours* (79%)

Mar 2021: 98.6 hours* (79%)

That's a 6 month period with just 66% of the average sunshine.

Perhaps a clear representation that we've had more in the way of anticyclonic cloudy conditions, easterly and northerly airstreams, rather than westerly which tends to result in more sunshine in the SE. Conversely there has probably been a little more sunshine than average in western parts.  

• Thanks 1