Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted

Absolutely sickening charts for next week. Getting very frustrated browsing the model thread at the moment with some people actually rejoicing over it. What is wrong with some people? The last 3 days of March were truly stunning- blissful. Yet there were almost no posts about it beforehand and a total obsession with this horrendous cold spell that is coming next week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it
6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Absolutely sickening charts for next week. Getting very frustrated browsing the model thread at the moment with some people actually rejoicing over it. What is wrong with some people? The last 3 days of March were truly stunning- blissful. Yet there were almost no posts about it beforehand and a total obsession with this horrendous cold spell that is coming next week.

You seem to be getting a bit obsessed :-). Yup most people on this site are much more interested in the cold stuff. I like a nice sunny day but it holds no interest for me meteorologically speaking. I certainly wouldn't be looking at models etc showing a few days of nice weather. What is there to see? On the other hand, a proper Arctic plunge at this time of year - now that's exciting! Bring it on!

I think i probably speak for most people on this site regarding this disposition (I thought you would have worked that out by now if you had spent any time on here ). But of course, it takes all sorts. However, your overly emotive talk of "sickening charts" and "what is wrong with some people" etc suggest to me that you need to take a little lie down. Or watch 'Homes in the sun'. Or emigrate to the Costa Del Sol.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
21 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

So what if they are enjoying it? I love a bit of cold in winter but am done with it now and would prefer warmth but since when are people to be censored on what weather they like and why would there be anything wrong with them? It's a weather forum for flip sake we should be able to like what we like. 

Edited by James1979
  • Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, James1979 said:

So what if they are enjoying it? I love a bit of cold in winter but am done with it now and would prefer warmth but since when are people to be censored on what weather they like and why would there be anything wrong with them? It's a weather forum for flip sake we should be able to like what we like. 

Where did I say they couldn't post about it 'for flip sake'? All I said was I can't understand it...which is allowed in the moan thread.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Sleet30031972 said:

You seem to be getting a bit obsessed :-). Yup most people on this site are much more interested in the cold stuff. I like a nice sunny day but it holds no interest for me meteorologically speaking. I certainly wouldn't be looking at models etc showing a few days of nice weather. What is there to see? On the other hand, a proper Arctic plunge at this time of year - now that's exciting! Bring it on!

I think i probably speak for most people on this site regarding this disposition (I thought you would have worked that out by now if you had spent any time on here ). But of course, it takes all sorts. However, your overly emotive talk of "sickening charts" and "what is wrong with some people" etc suggest to me that you need to take a little lie down. Or watch 'Homes in the sun'. Or emigrate to the Costa Del Sol.

It's the moan thread...and no I don't need a lie down thanks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

today worst weather, sea mist just clearing now, been freeeeezing! bring on next weeks snow chances, not boring sea mist

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Lovely day on the south coast, maxed at 16.5c (same as yesterday), however it's sunny today so actually feels warmer than yesterday here. Cold air not arrived here just yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, let me get this right: if you use the mod thread for anything other than 'great, super', you should be posting in the moans thread. But, when you do post in the moas thread, you're nae supposed to do that, either?

Curiouser and curiouser... Dives back down the rabbit hole!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I enjoyed the brief warm sunny spell and was hoping this would be the start of things to come, after what was a colder winter( and I like cold weather in the colder months), but now it’s April, I’m not looking forward to this coming cold period.

Can’t wait for the next warm spell and the first 26-29c, and they will be coming soon, towards the end of April or sometime before late May. Can’t wait for the heat and warmer nights to kick in.

Fed up with feeling cold, and the wind was chilly this afternoon, even in central London.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I want both, really liked last 3 days, and exciting from Monday, really want snow

my worst setup is easterly winds, hate nothing more, cold with sea mist that can take all day to lift, ruining many spring/summer days, this location is the capital, Manchester probably never even been hit by north sea mist

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sleet30031972 said:

I think it’s fair if people who like cold weather, get cold weather or damp windy conditions in the colder months of the year(October to March), but I don’t understand why some people want cool or even cold weather between April to September. That’s not normal in my book.

Some of us don’t want to move to Spain, we just want some decent warmth in the warmer part of the year, without having to endure more damp and cloudy days. Unfortunately, this happened last summer, after the lovely sunny and warm spring, June and July, plus the second half of august was a letdown for warm sunny weather, even in London. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Although i do prefer my summer to be in March-June (its a drier heat even when very warm) i think the love of the cold spell to come both stems from the fact that it may produce snow showers and also the fact that as weather lovers many of us like extremes and so a 'pleasent' spell does not have quite the same impact.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I want both, really liked last 3 days, and exciting from Monday, really want snow

my worst setup is easterly winds, hate nothing more, cold with sea mist that can take all day to lift, ruining many spring/summer days, this location is the capital, Manchester probably never even been hit by north sea mist

I get wanting snow between November and March...although I'm not keen at any time of of year.

Normally I could tolerate late snow more but with this prolonged lockdown I'm desperate for a long sunny, warm spell as I know the vast majority of the public are.

Many are fascinated by potential damage to plants on this forum which is one of the things I don't understand- that is what concerns me most about Monday and Tuesday.

Posted

First 25C of the year here today. There was even a 26C locally (Kráľová pri Senci). Back down into the teens tomorrow.

Quite a few thunderstorms have broken out in Central/Eastern Slovakia. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it’s fair if people who like cold weather, get cold weather or damp windy conditions in the colder months of the year(October to March), but I don’t understand why some people want cool or even cold weather between April to September. That’s not normal in my book.

Some of us don’t want to move to Spain, we just want some decent warmth in the warmer part of the year, without having to endure more damp and cloudy days. Unfortunately, this happened last summer, after the lovely sunny and warm spring, June and July, plus the second half of august was a letdown for warm sunny weather, even in London. 

I think it's the fact that it's not "normal" that attracts the interest. This is a site for weather enthusiasts. Thus this site comes alive for unusual weather. So yep, the majority on here will be cheering excitedly on for a very potent arctic blast. Because they don't come around that often. For those of you who live for models showing fine calm conditions, that's great, but come on here to discuss that in June and you will be in a small circle of like minded people. I don't personally mind what weather people like of course. But to keep on expressing frustration at others in post after post which veer on agression ("what is wrong with people" etc) on this site is verging on the peculiar. Lots of people on here love snow. At any time of year. Get over it. And if you can't, once you've expressed your bemusement, move on rather than keep on banging on about how weird you think we are.

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I get wanting snow between November and March...although I'm not keen at any time of of year.

Normally I could tolerate late snow more but with this prolonged lockdown I'm desperate for a long sunny, warm spell as I know the vast majority of the public are.

Many are fascinated by potential damage to plants on this forum which is one of the things I don't understand- that is what concerns me most about Monday and Tuesday.

After the potential snow things looking good in the other extreme maybe on 12Z, hopefully going straight to 18 degrees again, this the last day of quarantine

gfs-0-246.png?12

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I personally don't want it to go cold again, but this is disingenuous. It's like saying anybody who likes cold winters or hot summers hates old people. The fact is, everything but boring, mundane weather is likely to have adverse effects in some form or another.

Not that temperature swings in spring are even that unusual. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, AderynCoch said:

I personally don't want it to go cold again, but this is disingenuous. It's like saying anybody who likes cold winters or hot summers hates old people. The fact is, everything but boring, mundane weather is likely to have adverse effects in some form or another.

Exactly. Silly crocodile tears. Weather happens. Plants die. Don't start laying down a guilt trip about it.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sleet30031972 said:

Exactly. Silly crocodile tears. Weather happens. Plants die. Don't start laying down a guilt trip about it.

Seriously, you say I'm obsessed? How many times have you responded to my initial post? Already several sanctimonious monologues. We are never going to agree to just leave it out.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

I just don't want to see plants and flowers damaged by the cold...what's wrong with that? I'm allowed to express some frustration. Just like other people have a right to get excited about this.

I haven't said people can't do that...just that I don't understand it. You are free to disagree with me as well.

And it's nothing like the other examples you've given. I just don't want to see plants die! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

So those who don't want this cold spell come to the right place - the moans thread - to moan about it and then get moaned at for moaning in the moan thread. Good grief

I dared disagree with someone in the model thread a few days ago, suggesting the cold might not come off (hey, I was wrong - **** happens) and got jumped on like a ton of bricks. I'm interested in the weather and like to see it warm in the summer with proper thunderstorms and cold and snowy from mid Nov - mid March but some folk take it all far too seriously. 

I hope the mods don't mind me posting this in the moans thread but a BBC report on the incoming cold weather:

_117803993_hi066537984.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

After this week's warm temperatures, colder weather over Easter could even bring snow in some areas.

One quote from a Met Office spokesperson - "For Easter Monday, the daily high forecast for London is 7C (44.6F) and 6C (42.8F) in Leeds and Manchester"

That is really not that unusual for April. Cold, yes, but not out of the ordinary. Reading the model thread you'd believe there were polar bears about to start roaming the 'arctic landscape' of the UK. I get people getting excited and I like cold and snow in winter but some just go a bit OTT. I've just had another mediocre winter IMBY but, reading the model thread in the winter, you'd think we were entering a new ice age at times. This hype was especially prevalent in January

The irony being that when/if a lot of folk in Southern England get not-a-lot (of what they think they're getting) next week they'll be in this thread moaning

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I just don't want to see plants and flowers damaged by the cold...what's wrong with that? I'm allowed to express some frustration. Just like other people have a right to get excited about this.

I haven't said people can't do that...just that I don't understand it. You are free to disagree with me as well.

And it's nothing like the other examples you've given. I just don't want to see plants die! 

Of course you're allowed to express frustration - I do it all the time! But there's a difference between not understanding someone's viewpoint and making insinuations about them. You can't expect not to ruffle some feathers when you claim that other people want plants to die based on nothing but the fact that they happen to like the weather that can cause it.

I know you like hot weather (so do I) so I'm pretty confident you loved Summer 2018. Would it have been fair for others to accuse you then of being fascinated by the killing of plants due to drought/wildfires? Of course not - you were entitled to enjoy the weather even if it brought misery to others. Sitting inside and feeling bad about it wouldn't have helped relieve the drought. And so it is now. Some people prefer cold weather and get excited by any snow prospects. It doesn't mean they're rubbing their hands in glee and laughing maniacally at the thought bad things may come of it.

I don't mean to have a go, but it just frustrates me how often arguments break out because people can't express their own frustrations about the weather without guilt-tripping others because they happen to like the forecast. You don't like what's coming (me neither), others do. That's all there is to it really.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, Sleet30031972 said:

I agree; I'm a weather enthusiast because I like interesting weather. Spring days can be lovely at this time of year, but a potent, late-season Arctic blast will pique my interest far more, just as the early-season warmth this week did. This topsy-turvy stuff is great. Won't happen, but if we had snow showers (whether or not they settle) from brisk northerlies for the first fortnight of April, I'd be very happy.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, LRD said:

So those who don't want this cold spell come to the right place - the moans thread - to moan about it and then get moaned at for moaning in the moan thread. Good grief

I dared disagree with someone in the model thread a few days ago, suggesting the cold might not come off (hey, I was wrong - **** happens) and got jumped on like a ton of bricks. I'm interested in the weather and like to see it warm in the summer with proper thunderstorms and cold and snowy from mid Nov - mid March but some folk take it all far too seriously. 

I hope the mods don't mind me posting this in the moans thread but a BBC report on the incoming cold weather:

_117803993_hi066537984.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

After this week's warm temperatures, colder weather over Easter could even bring snow in some areas.

One quote from a Met Office spokesperson - "For Easter Monday, the daily high forecast for London is 7C (44.6F) and 6C (42.8F) in Leeds and Manchester"

That is really not that unusual for April. Cold, yes, but not out of the ordinary. Reading the model thread you'd believe there were polar bears about to start roaming the 'arctic landscape' of the UK. I get people getting excited and I like cold and snow in winter but some just go a bit OTT. I've just had another mediocre winter IMBY but, reading the model thread in the winter, you'd think we were entering a new ice age at times. This hype was especially prevalent in January

The irony being that when/if a lot of folk in Southern England get not-a-lot (of what they think they're getting) next week they'll be in this thread moaning

The irony of this is (if i can borrow your phrase) is that the person who is taking this the most "serious" (an attitude which you rightly disapprove of) is you! . In post after weirdly weather  morally judgemental post, you continue to moan and groan disbelievingly at some people wanting it to be cold. It's just the weather. It does what it does. Relax. And if someone wants to enjoy it, let them. Or if not spare me the hypocritical  "some people take it too serious line" which, at the very least, shows a lack of self awareness. Chill out. 

Edited by Sleet30031972
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 minutes ago, Sleet30031972 said:

The irony of this is (if i can borrow your phrase) is that the person who is taking this the most "serious" (an attitude which you rightly disapprove of) is you! . In post after weirdly weather  morally judgemental post, you continue to moan and groan disbelievingly at some people wanting it to be cold. It's just the weather. It does what it does. Relax. And if someone wants to enjoy it, let them. Or if not spare me the hypocritical  "some people take it too serious line" which, at the very least, shows a lack of self awareness. Chill out. 

Think you're getting me mixed up with someone else pal. I've never taken anything seriously on here. Seems you are. You're coming across as pretty angry

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2