Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted

24C locally yesterday, making it a tad warmer than Tuesday. One more very warm day to come before temperatures start to fall away. The latest ECM is showing 3C and snow at day 5-6. We'll see! 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Quite a remarkable 18z run there, just keeping us in cold air throughout. I worked out the CET would be at 4.06C by the 15th. If that came off, it would be the coldest first half to April since 1917 (which was a remarkable 2.65C at halfway).

Only 1917, 1837, 1784, 1816 and 1839 have had colder first halves. This run is probably amongst the very coldest of the ensemble pack. The northerly early next week is nailed on. The question is whether we see a gradual return to normal temperatures or a second dip at the weekend. EC has been hinting at this too but it could easily just revert to something more benign.

Either way, next week will be a shock to the system! An additional side note, the start to this April looks very very similar to what we saw in 1968, which had a very warm end to March also.

I can't help but feel that in reality, although next week is now likely to be cold, it probably won't be anything out of the ordinary.  We have seen plenty of sensational charts so far this year (and plenty of other recent years for that matter), which get watered down as the event draws closer.

An interesting point you make about 1968.  Gavin Partridge illustrated on his video today that the warm setup at the end of March 1968 and what followed in early April is virtually identical to this year (as per current model output)!

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Quite a remarkable 18z run there, just keeping us in cold air throughout. I worked out the CET would be at 4.06C by the 15th. If that came off, it would be the coldest first half to April since 1917 (which was a remarkable 2.65C at halfway).

Only 1917, 1837, 1784, 1816 and 1839 have had colder first halves. This run is probably amongst the very coldest of the ensemble pack. The northerly early next week is nailed on. The question is whether we see a gradual return to normal temperatures or a second dip at the weekend. EC has been hinting at this too but it could easily just revert to something more benign.

Either way, next week will be a shock to the system! An additional side note, the start to this April looks very very similar to what we saw in 1968, which had a very warm end to March also.

I have quoted  April1968 quite a few times in the Scottish thread as it is an abiding memory with sowing half a field of spring barley before a few weeks of snow cover which after the snow melted was green underneath it before we got back to sow the other half. This year we are 90% sown with just one field after neeps to sow and I am thinking it might be at least two weeks away before we get to it so all the rest should be green by then.Can be a big difference of temperature between the top and bottom of a snow blanket.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Finding myself distinctly cheesed off with the forecast from Monday onwards. I quite like April snow on occasion, but not when it's a week or more of chill. Been enjoying being outdoors more for the last week or two, looking forward to the 12th... and now it feels like an endurance test before we get back to something warm enough to sit out in without a winter coat. I've had enough endurance tests over the last year, thank you!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Finding myself distinctly cheesed off with the forecast from Monday onwards. I quite like April snow on occasion, but not when it's a week or more of chill. Been enjoying being outdoors more for the last week or two, looking forward to the 12th... and now it feels like an endurance test before we get back to something warm enough to sit out in without a winter coat. I've had enough endurance tests over the last year, thank you!

I really wouldn't worry too much at this stage.  I doubt the cold will last a week or more and it will be different come April 12th!

Posted

Time to take a break from the model thread for a week or two and try to get through this revolting spell of weather with my sanity intact. 

• Like 3

Posted

23.4C at the Met Office station in Bude on Monday. That's quite impressive for North Cornwall in March. Mind you it reached 25.3C there on the 10th April last year under a similar set up (ESE flow that comes over Dartmoor). 

In contrast Swanage on the Dorset coast saw a 12.7C max.

18.6C here, cooler as usual near the south coast but still very nice. Yesterday had high cloud until mid afternoon with a 16.4C max

16 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Time to take a break from the model thread for a week or two and try to get through this revolting spell of weather with my sanity intact. 

Same, I know we are all different but after months of cold and dark I just don’t understand how so many a relishing the thought of it being 8 in the evening, being light and snowing......it just repulsed me...

Posted

Go away Winter ...... I really don’t care for snow in April ( and I’m a huge snow lover ) 
I was just getting used to 20 °C and tennis !!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Nice to see some cooler weather again for the next few days.  I know a lot of people hate cold weather at this time of year but I hate the warm any time of year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Winter had its chance in winter, can do one now.

Even the warm weather over the last few days has turned into a cloudfest.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Winter had its chance in winter, can do one now.

Even the warm weather over the last few days has turned into a cloudfest.

Aye but winter hardly arrives Dec to Feb, jet stream too strong, PV over Greenie, now all that much weaker and sea temps colder

• Like 2

Posted

I for one am delighted to see a bit of snow in April as it reminds me of springs up here in the sixties when snow was fairly common. Its just the climate and seasons returning to a bit of normality inn my opinion because  of greatly reduced worldwide land and air pollution.Also as said sea temperatures are at their lowest now and a good bit of Scotland is closer to the Arctic circle than Moscow and with the frequency too of N and E winds at their highest in spring and early summer then snow was always on the cards.

Ben More in Sutherland is solid  white down to 2000 feet this morning and it was 0c down  here at 6.00am

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

The last 3 days were brilliant, though yesterday could've been better if the cloud wasn't there but still pleasant, but now its April 1st (April fools) nature has decided to April Fools us showing more wretched cold charts. Those are for late November, December, January, February and early march not for April. People are getting excited for snow? it's April, April is a spring month, when u stand in the sun you can FEEL the warmth and you expect snow? no all we'll get is awful cold winds and a chill in the air and that's better than what we've just had? I know April is the coocoo month not knowing what to do but snow no way. 

since the 00's climate change has done a lot to our weather and that's mainly with record high temperatures and as we proceed with this century we almost break record high temperatures every year but i'm not saying cold weather will never happened but with the month we're in now..

is snow possibly with the current charts over at the model discussion? yes it is but mainly the further north u go.

could u see some snowflakes farther south. maybe but it would be very isolated

Would it be worth it? no way, although the sun isn't at maximum strength , any break through in the clouds or no clouds at all will melt that snow and it will be gone in an hour or two

other than snow all other elements are awful and you want that? 

p.s if titles were allowed i would actually call myself grumpy sod who despises cold weather

• Like 3

Posted

will judging by the 6z  next week is a total right off  if you want to potter about in the garden   cold  snow  and a bitter wind chill.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Feel sick knowing whats about to come. Wish I could hibernate for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Posted

We has cold shots early April 2012, 2013 and late 2016, not unusual for April to bring a cold northerly, indeed I always expect one. Sometimes not of a significant nature, other times significant as this one will be.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Sure, it's not rare to get a cold snap/spell in April. I just particularly didn't want one this April! A repeat of 2020 was always going to be too much to ask, but mid-teens and quiet would have done fine. Even Atlantic sunshine and beefy showers would be preferable (for me) to days on end of cold when IMBY at least it's never going to be more than rather pointless transient snow at best. (Well, not unless there's a repeat of the incredible late April 1981 snowstorm, but even the current charts don't suggest that!)

• Like 2

Posted

With the exception of Sunday, the forecast is one of bleakest I’ve ever seen in April. I reckon April 2021 will be a cold one throughout, possibly into May too. Hopefully we’ll be in for a hot summer instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

Same, I know we are all different but after months of cold and dark I just don’t understand how so many a relishing the thought of it being 8 in the evening, being light and snowing......it just repulsed me...

I agree. But it probably won't even snow for the majority of us. Not in any significant way anyway. There might be a little bit of snow falling in one or two of the showers. Scotland, NI and also Northern and Welsh hills might do 'well' for snow. Some coldies in the model thread are getting their hopes up. That's NEVER happened before of course! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Feel sick knowing whats about to come. Wish I could hibernate for a couple of weeks.

Monday and Tuesday look utterly foul. But GFS and ECM op runs are, again, near the coldest in terms of forecast upper temps next week so it might not turn out that bad where you live for beyond Tuesday. Too early to say at this range of course.