Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, Static Prevails said:

I can’t wait for single digit temperatures, a ghastly wind chill and cloud. 

Seriously though, I’d be fine with it if it was only a few days but this cold spell looks quite prolonged. I just don’t see the good in this kind of weather at this time of year, I miss warmth. Even more frustrating is getting a taste of warmth early next week and then having it snatched away.

hope it's better than the 2 E'lys so far this year, 3-6 Jan and 7-10 Feb, mostly wet snow Feb and rain in Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Something tells me that the upcoming April will be very akin to April of 2016, but with a few warm days around the middle of the month. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
12 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I'd say a bit further north around the central part of the UK - from Greater Manchester up towards the Yorkshire Dale's but no further. These areas tend to be far enough north and east for cold and snow, far enough south and east for heat, far enough north and west for decent Atlantic storms. Worst for variety is probably West Wales near Aberystwyth, most of the south-western coastline of Scotland, west Cumbria coast, and coastal south-west England. All these areas get below average snow and heat compared with other areas of the UK.

Some people say Orkney & Shetland is right up there but I disagree as they get some violent Atlantic storms and it snows a bit more so both of which bumps them up the interesting list a bit. Admittedly very poor for heat though. Probably the worst areas because of their latitude and situated off the mainland with cold seas. Wick and Thurso are probably the coolest towns in mainland Britain and don't fare much better than the Northern Isles in Summer.

I have often thought of Norwich as being right up there for places for exciting weather - it's one of the UK's thunderstorm hotspots, has relatively hot summers and cold winters, and has a history of being susceptible to snow showers from north and east winds.  I admit that it's pretty sheltered from the Atlantic storms though, which can make the weather drag a bit during westerly spells in winter.   Since the very potent ones in 2010, however, northerlies often haven't been cold enough for Norwich in recent years, delivering just rain, hail and sleet showers.

I also remember Leeds being pretty good for varied weather and excitement when I was there.  It does seem to taper off as you head north from there, though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
14 hours ago, mpkio2 said:

Yay! A perfect setup pattern for cold weather! We got our wish cold lovers!

Late and in April!!!!!! 

Gah!!!, its like someone you invited to a party and they don't show up til the party is ending and then they show up ready and then you think "You might as well go! You missed it!"

Like......ugh what a waste!! I would rather it didn't show up and we just had a pro-longed warm spell now.

Thanks weather gods, but no thanks!! 

I feel you're frustration I too was looking at the models and thought 'imagine this in January'.

However if it makes you feel any better, this is perfectly normal for spring. March, April and May have always seen the most Easterly to Northerly winds. I'm not an expert so can't exactly explain why, but a combo of lower sea temperatures and stronger sun input encourages high pressure to build to the North and West. 

Also, spare a thought for other islands or west coasts around the world who have even longer seasonal lags. Places like Oregon coast see their coldest weather in April and May meaning a long downward trend from October to April!

• Like 1

Dreadful model output through Easter was hoping to get a couple of rounds of golf in, do some walking without scarfs, gloves, hats etc. Instead looks like it'll be stay indoors, crank up the heating, play fortnite pretend Lockdown is continuing. Hopefully the May BH weekends will be better. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Heartbreaking forecast for Easter just as we were looking forward to the easing of the rules. Very frustrating. I have a decorator doing the outside next week - it could be either too hot or too cold to paint all in one week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Something tells me that the upcoming April will be very akin to April of 2016, but with a few warm days around the middle of the month. 

I've been thinking that too, just maybe with the significant northerly in the first week rather than the last week. That month saw plenty of switcheroonies between chilly and pleasantly warm, the warmth of course normally during the week and the cold at the weekend...  

Summer 2016 wasn't too bad either, albeit better during the second half.

• Like 1

Posted

BBC monthly update going for a cool April throughout, fair to say we've been spoilt with the good April's of 2018/19 and 20. Wouldn't be surprised if we got the CET cooler than 2012's 7.2c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I have often thought of Norwich as being right up there for places for exciting weather - it's one of the UK's thunderstorm hotspots, has relatively hot summers and cold winters, and has a history of being susceptible to snow showers from north and east winds.  I admit that it's pretty sheltered from the Atlantic storms though, which can make the weather drag a bit during westerly spells in winter.   Since the very potent ones in 2010, however, northerlies often haven't been cold enough for Norwich in recent years, delivering just rain, hail and sleet showers.

I also remember Leeds being pretty good for varied weather and excitement when I was there.  It does seem to taper off as you head north from there, though.

Yes Leeds is in that zone that I mentioned i.e the central swathe of the UK that gets the most variation. And you are right that the SE corner including East Anglia often gets more thunder than other parts. Seen this many times radar watching. This risk extending sometimes up towards Lincolnshire too. I could be wrong as I'm not a thunderstorm expert but it's probably to do with plumes as they seem to brush these areas more often than other parts of the country and with it the more unstable air. 

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

I've been thinking that too, just maybe with the significant northerly in the first week rather than the last week. That month saw plenty of switcheroonies between chilly and pleasantly warm, the warmth of course normally during the week and the cold at the weekend...  

Summer 2016 wasn't too bad either, albeit better during the second half.

Remember the late northerly in 2016 delivered a temporary snow cover here at noon and a temp of 0 degrees! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

BBC monthly update going for a cool April throughout, fair to say we've been spoilt with the good April's of 2018/19 and 20. Wouldn't be surprised if we got the CET cooler than 2012's 7.2c

My thoughts as well  April could be colder than March,  regarding the potential average temps ( CET Competition )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
33 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Remember the late northerly in 2016 delivered a temporary snow cover here at noon and a temp of 0 degrees! 

That's impressive! Must've been some decent falls on the mountains? Snow fell (of sorts) here too with some sharp swings in temperature, but the main feature of the 26th and 27th were the dramatic skies, huge cbs and thunder - something I look forward to more.

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes Leeds is in that zone that I mentioned i.e the central swathe of the UK that gets the most variation. And you are right that the SE corner including East Anglia often gets more thunder than other parts. Seen this many times radar watching. This risk extending sometimes up towards Lincolnshire too. I could be wrong as I'm not a thunderstorm expert but it's probably to do with plumes as they seem to brush these areas more often than other parts of the country and with it the more unstable air. 

I'm moving to Lincoln shortly (probably sometime in the first half of April, although my date hasn't been decided yet) so am hoping that Lincoln will similarly serve me well, being in between Leeds and Norwich.  Yes, the most thunder-prone area region of the UK has often extended up from East Anglia into parts of Lincolnshire in recent years.  I think when I was growing up Kent and Sussex had the most storms, but they have recently had a marked decline in thunder.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Leo97t said:

Worth noting that we are due a sunny month here in London. The last 5 months have probably been the dullest series on record here with respective percentage of average values:

image.thumb.png.58e3846d01b7144a8fd3f0d2ec11b15f.png

Deficit of 37% which is pretty notable

October 2020 had 43% of average? Looking at Heathrow the numbers are worse than you depict. Really bad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
6 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I'm moving to Lincoln shortly (probably sometime in the first half of April, although my date hasn't been decided yet) so am hoping that Lincoln will similarly serve me well, being in between Leeds and Norwich.  Yes, the most thunder-prone area region of the UK has often extended up from East Anglia into parts of Lincolnshire in recent years.  I think when I was growing up Kent and Sussex had the most storms, but they have recently had a marked decline in thunder.

Yes I definitely remember storms more frequently when growing up here in sussex, not so much any more although every few years or so we get a cracker of an overnight storm from plume set ups. Most convection happens just to the north of here and heads north east towards east anglia. We seem to just brew them here on the coast recently.

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Yes all down to evaporative cooling, can't quite remember the synoptics, think a warm front moved into very cold arctic air following the northerly, there was zero wind, temps dropped as the precipitation became heavier the rain turning to snow, it lasted s few hours, but only settled for an hour or so, about 1cm, couldn't see the fells, they were shrouded in cloud. As soon as the front moved through temps rose rapidly.

Posted

I'm not ordinarily a fan of Spring cold but I would be up for some of the charts I saw this morning. An unusually cold northerly for April with sunshine and convective snow/graupel showers bubbling up during the day, with good cloudscapes and excellent visibility.
Interesting to see a temperature switch-around typical of more continental areas too.

This evening's ECM and ECM parallel sends the coldest air too far west but I'm not so keen on that because it has a higher risk of being wet and cold while I'm working outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
58 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

The Beast from the North West....

The Beastly Pest from the North West. 

Posted

GFS giving me an early reminder of the clocks changing. Woke up at 5, thought I may as well check the latest output. 

It's barely started. Tuesday still looks nice though.

Posted

I’m currently ‘between jobs’ so I’m truly excited about the next three days of ☀️ and relatively warm temps. Decent chance to get on the bike and squeeze some miles in. 

Snow and cold in April is just wrong so I’m glad that’s getting pushed back. 

• Like 1

Posted

I oft said, during the time I was a regular poster in this forum, that the the words 'upgrade' and 'downgrade' should be placed in the swear filter sine die. They are subjective and superfluous and invariable crop up during 'discussions' in F1, when by definition, the models are unreliable and subject to frequent inter run and daily changes And the observation is still pertinent

Edited by knocker
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

oh the joys of spring on the Prairies. Was +15c yesterday afternoon ..this morning its -25c with the wind-chill in gale force winds with blowing snow..as the song says 'what a difference a day makes'

• Like 5