Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

For me I like cold producing synoptics from late October to mid-March and warm producing the other times. 

I'm happy to admit in the past week I've flipped to wanting southerlies! That's to say when looking at models my idea of a good run changes, but expectations remain the same.

Posted

Ohhhh goodyyy. Easter weekend I could be looking at temps of 4-6 degrees down here - probably not cold enough to actually snow while it’s dank and grey with a rancid windchill. Would’ve been nice to see my parents in the garden and switch off the heating finally but nevermind. Forgive me for not being besides myself with excitement because it looks utterly revolting. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Ohhhh goodyyy. Easter weekend I could be looking at temps of 4-6 degrees down here - probably not cold enough to actually snow while it’s dank and grey with a rancid windchill. Would’ve been nice to see my parents in the garden and switch off the heating finally but nevermind. Forgive me for not being besides myself with excitement because it looks utterly revolting. 

Quite the contrast to this time last year, especially given such a set-up would produce a lot of cloudy and wintry stuff coming from the north sea. Not the best timing given the restrictions but we did luck out last year instead.

At least Monday and Tuesday are looking decent at the moment, fair shot at 20c, maybe outside chance of a 21c in hotspots.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Monday and Tuesday will see temperatures more akin to early May, then after that we will be having temperatures more akin to November. This is what I like about spring; the weather is often erratic. I like a variety.
It's the same with autumn.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Regarding the switch flick thing, it was interesting to read the parallels with supporting sports teams, because I've had a recurring tendency in many areas of life to back both horses in a situation where the unwritten rule is that you can only side with one or the other.  For example, when I was living in the North East, I supported Sunderland, but at times I also supported Newcastle United, which really went against expected norms.  I have also had some puzzled reactions over the years for supporting net zero emissions and sustainable transport but also supporting cars and driving to some extent. 

The question of whether to want warm sunshine or snow in spring is much the same, I tend to welcome both all year round but the emphasis shifts depending on the time of year.  I guess I have an unusually "spectral" way of seeing things and tend not to get into "either-or" thinking.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Apparently a spring heatwave is on the way, where Spain? What nonsense, just headlines to get us all outside in the garden, as if we need encouragement. More like a spring freeze on the way for Easter.

Posted

My eyes might be deceiving me but met office current forecast suggests no more than 21 degrees for London, our expected high is 12 degrees, hardly heatwave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

My eyes might be deceiving me but met office current forecast suggests no more than 21 degrees for London, our expected high is 12 degrees, hardly heatwave.

Depending on whether a heatwave requires 3 or 5 days' duration, 9C above average might, I think, qualify as a heatwave...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
11 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Depending on whether a heatwave requires 3 or 5 days' duration, 9C above average might, I think, qualify as a heatwave...?

Nothing suggesting that there will be a 3 day spell 9c above average though. 21c is about 8c above normal for the end of March, and it's only for one day.

Average high for April (91-20) is 15c.

Posted
24 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Here it's possible for 3 days above 16c. Whilst not a heatwave it is a nice change from the dull weather we've been experiencing

Posted

It just annoys me generalised statements in the press, heatwave conditions very SE bia yet again... happens all the time. Scotland had maxes easily 10 degrees above the norm recently but was barely mentioned because the SE was suffering with average temps. Don't wish to open up the north- south divide but such headlines need to be heavily caveated, if it said something like much milder than normal conditions for the SE that would be a far more accurate statement..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
57 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

It just annoys me generalised statements in the press, heatwave conditions very SE bia yet again... happens all the time. Scotland had maxes easily 10 degrees above the norm recently but was barely mentioned because the SE was suffering with average temps. Don't wish to open up the north- south divide but such headlines need to be heavily caveated, if it said something like much milder than normal conditions for the SE that would be a far more accurate statement..

Similar with this winters Beast as the big snowfall amounts were mostly across Scotland, think there were quite a few in England thinking it was not a beast but it definitely was with Dundee being the big winners but even here only the 2018 beast and the snow event at the end of November 2010 beat it for snow amounts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

How many March’s have breached 20C in the last decade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Some of the warmest March days of past 120 years in the UK

29 Mar 1968 25.6C

29 Mar 1965 25.0C

09 Mar 1948 23.9C

30 Mar 1929 23.9C

27 Mar 2012 23.6C

12 Mar 1957 23.3C

28 Mar 1965 23.3C

26 Mar 1907 23.2C

25 Mar 2012 22.9C

11 Mar 1957 22.8C

16 Mar 1961 22.8C

18 Mar 1990 22.3C

Not a complete list but gives you an idea. Years that have reached 20C in March this century as of now include 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014 and 2017.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
57 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

How many March’s have breached 20C in the last decade.

We went to Chester Zoo on my Son & my Birthday (March 18th) in either 04' or 05' & that was a 21c day! (next year was Fereeezing!!!!)

Posted

Please let the UKMO win.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Yay! A perfect setup pattern for cold weather! We got our wish cold lovers!

Late and in April!!!!!! 

Gah!!!, its like someone you invited to a party and they don't show up til the party is ending and then they show up ready and then you think "You might as well go! You missed it!"

Like......ugh what a waste!! I would rather it didn't show up and we just had a pro-longed warm spell now.

Thanks weather gods, but no thanks!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I think if youre looking for the most exciting place to live weather wise, be it snow, thunderstorms, warmth, squally showers, anything interesting, then cheshire is the place to live. They get everything...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Freeze said:

I think if youre looking for the most exciting place to live weather wise, be it snow, thunderstorms, warmth, squally showers, anything interesting, then cheshire is the place to live. They get everything...

I'd say a bit further north around the central part of the UK - from Greater Manchester up towards the Yorkshire Dale's but no further. These areas tend to be far enough north and east for cold and snow, far enough south and east for heat, far enough north and west for decent Atlantic storms. Worst for variety is probably West Wales near Aberystwyth, most of the south-western coastline of Scotland, west Cumbria coast, and coastal south-west England. All these areas get below average snow and heat compared with other areas of the UK.

Some people say Orkney & Shetland is right up there but I disagree as they get some violent Atlantic storms and it snows a bit more so both of which bumps them up the interesting list a bit. Admittedly very poor for heat though. Probably the worst areas because of their latitude and situated off the mainland with cold seas. Wick and Thurso are probably the coolest towns in mainland Britain and don't fare much better than the Northern Isles in Summer.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

yaaaay more bloody cold just what we need, i can't wait to wrap up in a bear suit in April. Sure it's spring where stuff is mix but the sun has enough warmth to it now that anything wintery that is trying to settle will be melted in a few hours and then u got the mess of slush (if it does snow) and the horrible wind chill making you want to go back inside your house within 10 mins , such lovely weather to experience as if we haven't had enough of it already 

• Like 1

Posted

I can’t wait for single digit temperatures, a ghastly wind chill and cloud. 

Seriously though, I’d be fine with it if it was only a few days but this cold spell looks quite prolonged. I just don’t see the good in this kind of weather at this time of year, I miss warmth. Even more frustrating is getting a taste of warmth early next week and then having it snatched away.

• Like 1