Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
30 minutes ago, rwtwm said:

It's that time of year that the sun gets high enough to be truly pleasant, particularly around noon. The only issue is that we have barely seen it in weeks! 

Even with high pressure in charge, it still feels like winter down here. 

Yep, very grey and cool here but when the sun does make a fleeting appearance it does feel pleasant - first time i've got in my car the other day and it felt pretty warm inside

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looking pretty grey here to for the upcoming days with classic anticyclonic gloom and decaying fronts trapped under the high. Think as we head into next week and the Atlantic starts to spring into life we should see it brighten up a bit, though with the threat of a little rain. No washout looking likely either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 17/03/2021 at 15:08, cheeky_monkey said:

just out of interest it says east Exeter on your location? i lived in Broadclyst from 2001-2010

Yes, I'm living in the Whipton area in the east of Exeter itself, so about 5 miles south-west of Broadclyst.  I'm looking set to move to Lincoln in early April though.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
36 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Yes, I'm living in the Whipton area in the east of Exeter itself, so about 5 miles south-west of Broadclyst.  I'm looking set to move to Lincoln in early April though.

Still with the Met, you move a lot?

To keep on topic, looks like 20C was breached.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

Still with the Met, you move a lot?

To keep on topic, looks like 20C was breached.

No, I've changed jobs at the start of this month, working at the university of Lincoln now.  To be fair I haven't moved for over 6 years, but I've been on Netweather for 18 years and have moved a lot in that time so it probably seems as if I have moved around frequently.

Interesting that we're getting such high temperatures, including in places like Edinburgh.  We're in an anticyclonic/northerly flow which is pulling in warm air from the Azores, but still it's rather unusual to get such warmth from a northerly flow.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Not quite 20C today on the official weather stations but still very impressive!

Meanwhile...here in the West it has been a glorious week of sunshine and daytime temperatures between 12C and 15C. 
Same again tomorrow. 

Always great to reach those first pleasant/warm feeling days of Spring - especially after a long cold Winter.

Yes can't help but think some sort of Foehn effect is at play, warm air on the Lee side of Scottish highlands I.e. Fife area.. there is more of a flow off N Sea majority of England and Wales, but here in Cumbria it's been more of an unified NW flow, yes quite unusual to see such warmth from a NW flow.. but the airflow us tropical maritime dried out by high pressure .

Subtle shifts in positioning heights will see warmest conditions move to the south and east in time.. 

Posted

A pretty slow start to spring here. Temperatures are stuck in single figures by day and almost every night has seen an air frost. It was sleeting yesterday and there's a chance of snow in the early hours tonight. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
6 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

funny i went to Whipton Barton Junior school when we first moved to Exeter from Chelmsford many moons ago

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Interesting to see such high temperatures so early in the season from a northwesterly. I can recall a number of warm humid northwesterly spells from the returning Tm scenario of dried out tropical air between mid spring and late summer. Nearly hit 28C in late July 2010 from such a scenario. 

Back to here and now and a pleasant early spring day after an early minimum close to zero.

Posted

Had snow showers on and off today. Surprisingly given the temperature (high of 6C) it's been the fluffy type of snow rather than the wet stuff. Got a thin covering now.

The next couple of days will struggle to get much above freezing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Cold few days here in Prague, woke up to a cm of snow today which didn’t last long, but had heavy graupel and fluffy snow showers all day, which gave temporary thin coverings. Only a degree or two above freezing by day and frosty at night. 

• Like 1

Posted

I follow the Munich webcams and there have been a number of snow showers there in recent days:

https://camera.deckchair.com/the-westin-grand-munich/v/5f6a7d3f009e0100017f9998

Looks like becoming warm and settled and possibly sunny in continental Europe in a few days' time though.  A month of switch-arounds in central Europe perhaps?  I remember it was warm and sunny there earlier in the month.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
23 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Model and weather watching at present same as watching paint dry.. 

Indeed, the number of posts recently in the model thread tells the story!

• Like 1

Posted

It's been snowing all afternoon and evening here but with varying amounts of stickage. Got a light covering on the cars but a good couple of inches in the nearby forest.

IMG_20210321_174645.thumb.jpg.fb399d98b886ee47cb9e5181cc5140c6.jpgIMG_20210321_173821.thumb.jpg.30b0e8ac65033a0d737f54b74aacb6d8.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Tonight is I believe the first night I’ve gone into the garden where it’s nice and calm and I can faintly smell plant growth. Wonderful. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
14 hours ago, Azazel said:

Tonight is I believe the first night I’ve gone into the garden where it’s nice and calm and I can faintly smell plant growth. Wonderful. 

I'd be worried about faintly smelling plant growth - the fuzz will be round before you know it!

The weather has been pretty boring recently though. I like settled weather, but all this clag has made it pretty drab.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Azazel said:

weather for the bank holiday weekend looking positively revolting.

Quarantine, probably find it will turn out much more settled

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

@Man Without Beard Never understand why a switch is flicked at a certain date and people change what pressure pattern they prefer, isn't that like supporting Manchester United then changing to Liverpool, ie - wanting a Northerly then wanting a Southerly the next, cannot understand it me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

@Man Without Beard Never understand why a switch is flicked at a certain date and people change what pressure pattern they prefer, isn't that like supporting Manchester United then changing to Liverpool, ie - wanting a Northerly then wanting a Southerly the next, cannot understand it me.

Or... it could be like what I do, each year -- follow THFC in winter and Kent Cricket Club in the summer. It's a totally different ballgame?

Posted
22 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

People base their desires on the extremes. I favour cold from Nov-Feb because I've experienced individual idealised examples. In that same vein I favour high pressure from March-June because of months I've experienced.

On average we will be disappointed but then we that spend our time on a weather forum are not the most normal of folk in expectations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I just love cold, but i tell you now - if i really felt the cold and felt miserable like a lot of you do on here, there is no way i would be rooting for a 1987 style Easterly every year, i would be rooting for a knocker setup, but fortunately i hate heat so i can just root for polar / Arctic airmasses all year around.

EDIT : but unfortunately they never materialise these days at anytime - the expanded tropical cell just sits right where we dont want it all the time.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
10 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Nice analogy! For me, it's all about extremes. I love seeing how hot it can go, how cold it can go, how snowy/windy etc. So I guess I do switch depending on the time of the year

• Like 2