Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

THE CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL HORSE RACING COMPETITION

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy, wintry weather

Evening all,

Hope we find yourselves and your Families, well.

As some of you will no doubt be aware, my Son Antony, passed away last Wednesday, due to Aspiration Pneumonia, after a 17 Year battle, with Huntington's Disease.

I will introduce this Competition with a comical anecdote, about my Son.

Below is an image of Antony, during his early Years at St. John Rigby R,C. College in West Wickham, Kent.

The School became infamous, when the Headmistress (Colleen McCabe), was found to have embezzled £500.000 of School funds.

Some of you may have seen the TV series, starring Pauline Quirke, entitled "The Thieving Headmistress", about that episode. Below, is an image of Antony in the uniform of St. John Rigby R.C. College:

image.png.9eefa70557224b383c30c36642d2052b.png

It was a few Years later, that I started to realise that Antony was beginning to get a taste for Horse Racing!!

On the Afternoon of Tuesday 16th March 1999, Antony returned home from School, in a very excited fashion.

I, thinking that my Son had attained a very good mark in an Exam, pressed Antony on the reason for his excitement?

He came back with this response, "Dad I backed the first 2 Winners of Day 1, of the Festival".

"Hors La Loi 111 (9/2) and Flagship Uberalles (11/1).

Gobsmacked, I retorted, "Ant, since when has the Cheltenham Festival, been part of the 6th Year Curriculum?"

Quick on his feet, my Son replied, "It's ok Dad. I took my tie and blazer off, before I went into William Hills."

Evidently, Antony/Friend would pop into the Betting Shop, in West Wickham High Street, to begin their Punting careers.

I thought to myself having a 10p Each Way Lucky 15, was a novel way of spending your £3 lunch money!!

But I found it hard to lose my temper with Antony, because of those innocent, angelic looks.

That first flirtation with Betting occurred in March 1999, a couple of Weeks short of Antony's 18th Birthday.

So, although Antony shouldn't have entered Hills until he was 18, he wasn't far off of it.

Because of his innocent, cherubic looks, my Son looked younger, than he actually was.

As the title of the Competition Thread suggests, this Competition will be held in memory of my Son.

The Competition will begin on Saturday 13th March, as in my other Horse Racing Competitions, they will be based on ITV's excellent Horse Racing live broadcasts.

It will then incorporate, all 4 Days of the Cheltenham Festival, and end with ITV's Live coverage of the Midland's Grand National Meeting at Uttoxeter, on Saturday 20th March.

I will flesh out the format, over the next few Days.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with a couple of Youtube clips, of the 2 Winners that began my Sons punting experiences, in March 1999.

First HORS LA LOI 111, winning the Supreme Novices Hurdle, ridden by my Sons namesake, (Sir) Anthony McCoy:

Finally, FLAGSHIP UBERALLES ridden by Joe Tizzard and trained by Paul Nicholls, winning the 1999 Arkle Challenge Trophy Chase: 

The Festival was my Son's favourite Race Meeting, and I would to make the Competition as fitting a tribute to Antony, as possible.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

Edited by TomSE12
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 163
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was disgusting to see such disrespect for the very animals that give Gordon  Elliot a very nice standard of living. The majority involved in the industry love these animals that risk their lives da

Thinking of you and your family this coming Wednesday, Tom. Wishing you peace and tranquility over the coming days. Regards BB

I will now post up a detailed, Racing Post National Hunt type analysis, of the Result of the Cheltenham Festival Competition, dedicated to the memory of ANTONYBR7. 1st - BRISTLE BOY - In 5th

Posted Images

Posted

Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Seems very strange to get up on a Saturday Morning, with no Horse Racing Competition ahead of me.

But these are very surreal times, for myself and my Family.

As I stated above, I wanted to have a break before the Cheltenham Festival started.

Having had a long chat with my Wife Colette, I've decided to give the Cheltenham Festival a miss, as well.

I was planning to make it a memorial to my Son Antony, who as you are aware passed away on Weds. 24th February.

The realisation is now sinking in, that he is lying in a Mortuary, some 7 miles south of here in Orpington, Kent.

Apologies but I'm simply not in the right frame of my mind, to do the Festival justice.

I would be quite happy for someone else, to take the reins (no pun intended), for the Cheltenham Festival week.

I'd also be quite happy to work alongside them, in an advisory capacity.

If you do take it on though, be aware it's requires a lot of commitment and is very time consuming.

I already had some ideas for the format, for Cheltenham Week I was going to choose the additional Categories.

But I'm really in no fit state. to go through with it. I've experienced a lot of sleepless nights, in the past week or so.

I had already prepared my Competition folder, for the usual 12 Entrants.

Please let me know, if anyone is willing enough to take this on.

God willing, I plan to return to Competition mode in April.

I plan then to "host" a Grand National Festival Competition, in Antony's memory, plus a Fantasy U.S. Masters Golf Competition.

Very best wishes,

Tom and Colette. 👍 🏇

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
    4 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Seems very strange to get up on a Saturday Morning, with no Horse Racing Competition ahead of me.

But these are very surreal times, for myself and my Family.

As I stated above, I wanted to have a break before the Cheltenham Festival started.

Having had a long chat with my Wife Colette, I've decided to give the Cheltenham Festival a miss, as well.

I was planning to make it a memorial to my Son Antony, who as you are aware passed away on Weds. 24th February.

The realisation is now sinking in, that he is lying in a Mortuary, some 7 miles south of here in Orpington, Kent.

Apologies but I'm simply not in the right frame of my mind, to do the Festival justice.

I would be quite happy for someone else, to take the reins (no pun intended), for the Cheltenham Festival week.

I'd also be quite happy to work alongside them, in an advisory capacity.

If you do take it on though, be aware it's requires a lot of commitment and is very time consuming.

I already had some ideas for the format, for Cheltenham Week I was going to choose the additional Categories.

But I'm really in no fit state. to go through with it. I've experienced a lot of sleepless nights, in the past week or so.

I had already prepared my Competition folder, for the usual 12 Entrants.

Please let me know, if anyone is willing enough to take this on.

God willing, I plan to return to Competition mode in April.

I plan then to "host" a Grand National Festival Competition, in Antony's memory, plus a Fantasy U.S. Masters Golf Competition.

Very best wishes,

Tom and Colette. 👍 🏇

You served us well Tom and you deserve a break. It still hasn't sunk in that my dad has gone. I still think he is upstairs, it will hit me one day soon. Stay strong for your family and I wish you all, all the best and hope you get through this deeply traumatic time.

• Like 3
    Posted

if i was going to have an EW punt today it would Yazaman 2.00 Lingfield

• Like 1
    Posted
    57 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

if i was going to have an EW punt today it would Yazaman 2.00 Lingfield

Hi Lass,

Much thanks, for your very comforting words.

Just want to comment on another upsetting situation, that started to emerge last Weekend.

That of the reprehensible and thoughtless action of Gordon Elliott, of sitting on a dead horse that had suffered a fatal heart attack, on his gallops.

As I've stated many times, I worked for nigh on 30 Years in the Bookmaking Industry.

Although I wasn't earning a fortune, my work earned me a fairly comfortable living.

I'm fond of all animals, especially Horses.

I wasn't the right shape, to work in a Stable, so Bookmaking was a way of having contact with these magnificent beasts.

But I always found it difficult to reconcile my love of Horses, with an Industry that exploited Horses.

I was lucky enough to visit Stables on four occasions.

Twice to the Newmarket Stables of Francesca Cumani's Father, Luca.

Once to the Stables of Josh Gifford in, West Sussex, and once with a colleague to the Epsom Stables, of Roger Curtis.

The last visit, was with a view to buying a share in a Racehorse.

The overriding impression I came away with, was how much these Horses are loved and cared for.

I totally agree with the views expressed by members of ITV's Racing team, on the Opening Show, this Morning.

One bad apple, is in no way representative of the feeling and welfare, given to these Horses, by Stable staff.

Often, during ITV's excellent Broadcasts, do they highlight the after Race precautions regarding making sure Horses receive ample water, after their exertions during a Race.

It's up to the Racing Industry, via media outlets such as ITV Racing, to make sure that message gets across to Joe Public!!

Just wanted to register my tuppenceworth, in the current debate. 

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

P.S. I see the winner of the first TV Race at Kelso was owned by an old Client of ours at Sunderlands, Mr. Kelvin-Hughes.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

You served us well Tom and you deserve a break. It still hasn't sunk in that my dad has gone. I still think he is upstairs, it will hit me one day soon. Stay strong for your family and I wish you all, all the best and hope you get through this deeply traumatic time.

Hi Lass,

Much thanks, for your very kind words.

Just want to comment on another upsetting situation, that started to emerge last Weekend.

That of the reprehensible and thoughtless action of Gordon Elliott, of sitting on a dead horse that had suffered a fatal heart attack, on his gallops.

As I've stated many times, I worked for nigh on 30 Years in the Bookmaking Industry.

Although I wasn't earning a fortune, my work earned me a fairly comfortable living.

I wasn't the right shape, to work in a Stable, so Bookmaking was a way of having contact with these magnificent beasts.

But I always found it difficult to reconcile my love of Horses, with an Industry that exploited Horses.

Once to the Stables of Josh Gifford in, West Sussex, and once with a colleague to the Epsom Stables, of Roger Curtis.

The overriding impression I came away with, was how much these Horses are loved and cared for.

I totally agree with the views expressed by members of ITV's Racing team, on the Opening Show, this Morning.

One bad apple, is in no way representative of the feeling and welfare, given to these Horses, by Stable staff.

Often, during ITV's excellent Broadcasts, do they highlight the after Race precautions regarding making sure Horses receive ample water, after their exertions during a Race.

It's up to the Racing Industry, via media outlets such as ITV Racing, to make sure that message gets across to Joe Public!!

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

P.S. I see the winner of the first TV Race at Kelso was owned by an old Client of ours at Sunderlands, Mr. Kelvin-Hughes.

• Like 1
    Posted
    44 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi Lass,

Much thanks, for your very kind words.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

It was disgusting to see such disrespect for the very animals that give Gordon  Elliot a very nice standard of living. The majority involved in the industry love these animals that risk their lives day in day out. He obviously just sees them as money making machines and not living breathing animals.

• Like 4
    Posted
    Posted (edited)

Afternoon all,

Even though I won't be hosting a Cheltenham Festival Competition, for reasons I've gave Yesterday Morning, I thought I would post up some Youtube videos, of Cheltenham Festival previews.

I'll start with Irish legendary Trainer, Willie Mullins:

With Gordon Elliott now banned from appearing at Cheltenham , Mullins could have even more winners than usual.

Now, a long Youtube video of a Cheltenham Festival preview Evening, featuring ITV's Racing and my youngest Sister's doppelganger, Francesca Cumani, Sir Anthony McCoy and Paul Nicholls:

Finally, another long Youtube video, featuring another 2 members of ITV's Racing team, Matt Chapman and Kevin Blake:

I will post up a few more clips of Cheltenham Festival previews, in the next few Days.

Regards,

Tom.  👍 🏇

Edited by TomSE12
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Thank you for everything you doTom ❤️ 

• Like 1
    Posted
    Posted (edited)
    17 hours ago, Dreckly said:

Thank you for everything you doTom ❤️ 

Morning all,

Much thanks, for those kind words Jackie.

I will now post up some Youtube videos of the main contenders of the Willie Mullins Stable, at this Year's Festival:

APPRECIATE IT, favourite for Supreme Novices Hurdle on Day 1, looks a smashing fella.

They are all magnificent creatures of course and adds further "grist to the mill", if it were at all needed, how incredulous the actions of Gordon Elliott, were.

How you can abuse/disrespect an animal, in such a way, simply beggars belief!!

Looking at the way that Mullins strokes the Horses muzzles, reminds me of the time I went to those 4 Stable Open Days, I mentioned on Saturday. You have to make sure you don't stroke that area, with a flat open hand, this will likely result in a nasty bite. You need to gently stroke the area, with a clenched fist. For some reason, Horses seem to have a liking for Polo Mints but offering them to a Horse, can be quite hazardous!!

If you let the above Youtube clip run on, there are previews for the other 3 Days of the Cheltenham Festival, in respect of the Willie Mullins Stable.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

Edited by TomSE12
    • Like 1
    Posted

Hi Tom! I hope you are coping as well as you can, and looking after yourself. I know how much grief can mess with your well-being. I was interested to know if you had any long term fancies that you followed through the season for the Champion Hurdle and the Gold Cup and whether they have been declared?

Best Lass

• Like 1
    Posted
    Posted (edited)

Morning all,

It all seems so surreal sitting here on a Saturday Morning, not about to and already having posted ANTONYBR7's, selections.

I had been picking Antony's selections for the past few Years, as his illness meant he had lost the feeling in his fingers, to text me.

Instead, my Son lies in a Mortuary, a few miles South of here in Orpington, Kent.

As I stated in my introductory Post, Today would have been the first Day of the Cheltenham Festival Competition but my heart really isn't in it, to do it justice.

It looks as if Antony's Cremation, will be delayed until the end of April now, such is the backlog of Funerals, due to the CV Pandemic.

When it does take place, it looks likely to be held at Beckenham Crematorium, a little way down the road from where I used to live with Antony and Hayley, at Anerley, when I first became a member of NW TomSE20, in January 2005.

With my Son's Funeral, delayed until late April, it's impossible to reach a little closure, in one's mind.

As somewhat of a distraction, although as stated there is no Competition at present, I will post up some selections for Antony, Hayley and myself, to give me something to watch on ITV a little later.

By all means, please do the same, if you so wish.

I'm determined to return to Fantasy Competition mode in April, when I will be "hosting" a Grand National Festival, to Antony's memory, plus a Fantasy U.S. Masters Golf Competition.

In a while, I will post up those selections for Today's ITV Races.

Regards,

Tom, Colette and Family. 👍 🙏

Edited by TomSE12
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    Posted (edited)

Below, are those selections I spoke about, in my previous Post: 

ANTONYBR7

SANDOWN

1.50: - The Mick Preston.

2.25: - One True King.

3.00: -  Precious.

3.35: - Stratagem

WOLVERHAMPTON

2.05: - Documenting.

2.40: - On A Session.

3.15: - Summerghand.

HAYLEYBR7

SANDOWN

1.50: - Riggs.

2.25: - Langer Dan.

3.00: - Dazzling Glory.

3.35: - No Getaway.

WOLVERHAMPTON

2.05: - Mum's Tipple.

2.40: - Tadleel.

3.15: - Juan Les Pins.

TOMSE12

SANDOWN

1.50: - Patroclus.

2.25: - Hasanabad. 

3.00: - Code Name Lise.

3.35: - Farinet.

WOLVERHAMPTON

2.05: - Shimmering Dawn.

2.40: - Mission Boy.

3.15: - Repartee.

For those of you that would like to join in, below are the Racing Post links, to the Runners for Today's 7 ITV4, Live Races:

SANDOWN

1:50 Sandown | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

1.50: - 

2:25 Sandown | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

2.25: - 

3:00 Sandown | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

3.00: -  

3:35 Sandown | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

3.35: - 

WOLVERHAMPTON

2:05 Wolverhampton (AW) | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

2.05: - 

2:40 Wolverhampton (AW) | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

2.40: - 

3:15 Wolverhampton (AW) | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

3.15: -

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

Edited by TomSE12
    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

SANDOWN

1:50 Sandown | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

1.50: - The Mick Preston

2:25 Sandown | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

2.25: - Miranda

3:00 Sandown | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

3.00: -  Precious

3:35 Sandown | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

3.35: - Annsam

WOLVERHAMPTON

2:05 Wolverhampton (AW) | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

2.05: -Ghaith

2:40 Wolverhampton (AW) | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

2.40: - Milltown star

3:15 Wolverhampton (AW) | Standard Racecard | 13 March 2021 | Racing Post

3.15: -  Repartee

• Like 2
    Posted

Thanks for those Selections above, Callum.

Evening all,

Below, are the "Virtual" Returns from Today's impromptu, mini Competition, on this Afternoon's 7 ITV4 Races, in performance order:

HAYLEYBR7 - 21.88 - TOMSE12 - 12.76 - ANTONYBR7 - 4.38 - K/WEATHER - NIL.

HAYLEYBR7, performed best of all, and found 2 Winners - LANGER DAN (5/1) and MUM'S TIPPLE (9/2).

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

Posted
    Posted (edited)

Morning all,

I see the Bookmaking Company (Sunderland) and the Boss (Martin Densham), I used to work for, got a mention on the ITV4 Racing programme, Yesterday Afternoon.

They were mentioned in regard to the Bonus the Company offered for a Horse that won the Imperial Cup, and then went on to winning any Race, at the Cheltenham Festival.

Horses Trained by the Pipe Family, won the Bonus 3 times - OLYMPIAN (Martin Pipe, 1993), BLOWING WIND (Martin Pipe, 1998),and GASPARA (David Pipe, 2007).

I missed the first two but was working for Sunderland, when Gaspara won in 2007.

Later on Today, I will post up a few more Youtube clips of Cheltenham Festival previews.

Regards,

Tom. 👍 🏇

Edited by TomSE12
    Posted

not sure if you got my email @TomSE12 had tried sending a message here but it was saying u couldn't receive them. As it is dedicated to Antony it would be a big shame for it not to happen so I will have a go at hosting, with me having my champions league competition and calculating the money not being a strong point I will do it with point scoring - winner = 3 points, 2nd place = 2 points, 3rd place = 1 point in the event of a tie in the competition leaderboard (hopefully not) I will ask each entrant to predict the winning distance in the final race of Cheltenham. 

@Bristle boy @lassie23 @Dreckly @Summer Sun if anyone else wants to take part feel free 😆

WINNING DISTANCE IN FINAL RACE OF CHELTENHAM - 

CHELTENHAM 16TH MARCH 2021

WWW.RACINGPOST.COM

Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle (Grade 1) (GBB Race), 16th March 2021. 1:20 at Cheltenham, standard racecard from Racing Post.

1:20 SELECTION - 

WWW.RACINGPOST.COM

Sporting Life Arkle Challenge Trophy Novices' Chase (Grade 1) (GBB Race), 16th March 2021. 1:55 at Cheltenham, standard racecard from Racing Post.

1:55 SELECTION - 

WWW.RACINGPOST.COM

Ultima Handicap Chase (Grade 3) (GBB Race), 16th March 2021. 2:30 at Cheltenham, standard racecard from Racing Post.

2:30 SELECTION 1 - 

SELECTION 2 -

WWW.RACINGPOST.COM

Unibet Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy (Grade 1) (GBB Race), 16th March 2021. 3:05 at Cheltenham, standard racecard from Racing Post.

3:05 SELECTION -

WWW.RACINGPOST.COM

Close Brothers Mares' Hurdle (Registered As The David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle) (Grade 1) (GBB Race), 16th March 2021. 3:40 at Cheltenham, standard racecard from Racing Post.

3:40 SELECTION - 

WWW.RACINGPOST.COM

Boodles Juvenile Handicap Hurdle (Registered As The Fred Winter) (Grade 3) (GBB Race), 16th March 2021. 4:15 at Cheltenham, standard racecard from Racing Post.

4:15 SELECTION 1 -

SELECTION 2 - 

WWW.RACINGPOST.COM

Sam Vestey National Hunt Challenge Cup Novices' Chase (Grade 2) (GBB Race), 16th March 2021. 4:50 at Cheltenham, standard racecard from Racing Post.

4:50 SELECTION - 

• Like 1
    Posted

1.20 metier 

1.55 Allmankind

2.30 soupy soups

3.05 James de berlais

3.40 floressa

415 homme public

4.50 next destination

Edited by lassie23
    • Like 2
    Posted

No email received; sometimes the personal message facility on here doesnt work.

Will defo post selections later this eve👍

• Like 2
    Posted
    22 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

1.20 metier 

1.55 Allmankind

2.30 soupy soups

3.05 James de berlais

3.40 floressa

415 homme public

4.50 next destination

U get to pick 2 selections in the 2:30 and 4:15 😀

• Like 1
    Posted

It's currently 15c, sunny here in BS34. Cheltenham only 35 miles up the road. 

The ground this week likely to be as good as the horses have run on for months. Will make selections a challenge. Laters.

• Like 2
    Posted

milan native 2.30

coltor 4.15

• Like 2
    Posted

WINNING DISTANCE IN FINAL RACE OF CHELTENHAM - 2L

CHELTENHAM 16TH MARCH 2021

1:20 SELECTION - Appreciate It 

1:55 SELECTION - shishkin 

2:30 SELECTION 1 - Alnadam

SELECTION 2 -Happygolucky

3:05 SELECTION -Honeysuckle 

3:40 SELECTION - Concertista

4:15 SELECTION 1 -Cabot cliffs 

SELECTION 2 - homme public 

4:50 SELECTION - Eden du houx 

• Like 1
    Posted

Evening all,

Hope I find yourself and your Families, well.

Bless you Callum, it's so kind of you to take up the reins, of the Cheltenham Competition.

Even though I don't have the heart, to do it myself this Year, it would seem very strange not to have something in place, when the tapes go up for the first Race, Tomorrow Afternoon.

I will get in touch with Hayley and Paul, to see if they fancy entering.  If not, I will put an entry in for them, and one for Antony of course.

I will get Colette and my Stepson (AvengerSE12), to enter as well. StephenSE12, my other Stepson has lost interest in these Competitions, so I will give him a miss, this time.

Ironically, the Points Scoring System you'll be using, is one I used originally when a few of us worked in the Summer for Sunderland Bookmakers, during Evening Racing. We'd each put in around a Fiver (about 4 of us), winner took all.

I then hit upon the idea of using the £1 Each Way "Virtual" Stakes, Format.

I will post up the Selections of the BR7 and SE12 Entrants, after I've had my Dinner.

Much thanks Callum.

Very best wishes, to all.

Tom, Colette and Family. 👍 🏇

• Like 1
    Posted

Hi Callum,

ANTONYBR7, AVENGERSE12, CASSIESE12, HAYLEYBR7, PAULBR7 and TOMSE12, will all be entering your Competition.

Much thanks again for "hosting" this Competition in Antony's memory, like a lot of Racing fans, it was his favourite Racing Week.

Regards,

Tom.  👍 🏇 🙏

• Like 1