Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020-21 overview, statistics

damianslaw

Posted

The meteorological winter (Dec-Feb) is coming to an end. Time for recollections, thoughts and statistics please.

Yes March can and often does deliver wintry weather, but for comparison purposes the line is drawn 1 March.

For the Lake District it's felt the most 'wintry' since 12-13, but has come in fits and starts. A very episodic winter, more akin to 08-09 in many respects.

Snowfall wise, not great, a number of light dustings, the most was 2 inches 2 Feb. Indeed we missed out on about 6 decent snowfalls, perhaps the most frustrating in this respect for a long long while. No major frontal events despite enough embedded cold at the surface.

Temperature wise, late Dec, early Jan and second week Feb brought decent cold, but no ice days and nothing severe frost wise. I enjoyed the turn of the year period alot especially given the general gloomy feeling pervading everything, lots of sunshine gave me a needed boost.

Least appealing periods, run up to Christmas and second half Feb, too mild for my liking!

Early Dec was quite wintry as well.

Rainfall- average, no major flooding thankfully.

Storms- nothing

Overall compared to last 50 years, a fairly average winter temp wise. Compared to last 20 years, a decent one for cold and the best since 12-13, but had potential to be so much better, especially February.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Best winter since 2013.

In terms of snow depth poor but that may have more to do with my lower height in comparison.

In terms of settling snow events there were 7 and that is the highest since 2013.

In terms of falling snow days there were 14 which is the most since the winter of 10/11.

Posted

The coldest and snowiest here since at least 2013 especially January which felt like the coldest month for years. Ended very abruptly after the February cold spell however. December was fairly dull but the Christmas week was very cold. I’d rate it 7/10. 

Posted
20 hours ago, Weather-history said:

According the the Manchester Winter Index, the "wintriest" winter since 2010-11.  The period from Christmas to mid February was probably the snowiest period since 2009-10 

It is actually got to be above 2010-11 thanks to the recent frosts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

My south coastal location saw no snow in this winter, except for a few grains falling for a couple of days second week of Feb but didn't amount to anything. 

It's been very dull also up until recently where the sun's made a welcome appearence with the mild weather. Rainfall seems like it's been way above average but I suspect it's just rained lightly for many days.

A definite colder feel this winter but always the wrong side of marginal for snow here especially during January.  Nothing much to remember here other than a few frosts and one spectacular rime frost on the 10th Jan.

An ok winter but a bit boring for me as a weather enthusiast.

Posted

Manchester Winter Indices

1978-79: 262

2009-10: 197

1981-82: 149

1976-77: 141

1984-85: 140

1995-96: 135

1990-91: 126

2020-21: 120

2010-11: 119

2008-09: 105

2012-13: 102

1986-87: 100

It has been a pretty good winter, if you are going to be realistic around here. Just above 2010-11, it was a snowier winter than 2010-11. There was not a lot of falling snow days during the winter of 2010-11 and after the first week of January 2011, it was snowless. 

Although December 2010 was an amazing month to have lived through, I prefer this type of winter with the main winter occurring during the core of the winter rather than virtually disappeared after the New Year.

Weather event was Storm Christoph. Very mild to snow in a few hours.

Early hours of 28th December 2020, with the frontal system pivotting over my area giving about 4 hours of snow, the cover lasting until 9th January

Topped up by the New Year's Eve, snow showers off the Irish Sea

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

It has been a pretty good winter, if you are going to be realistic around here. Just above 2010-11, it was a snowier winter than 2010-11. There was not a lot of falling snow days during the winter of 2010-11 and after the first week of January 2011, it was snowless. 

Although December 2010 was an amazing month to have lived through, I prefer this type of winter with the main winter occurring during the core of the winter rather than virtually disappeared after the New Year.

Early hours of 28th December 2020, with the frontal system pivotting over my area giving about 4 hours of snow, the cover lasting until 9th January

The southern part of NW region did very well for snow, up here, not so we missed out on about 6 decent snowfalls, systems and convection stayed away. Alas I would rank it lower than 12-13 for the Lake District. Half decent, and best Jan since 2013. Good to have the coldest weather in the core from late Dec to mid Feb rather than either ends..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

February just proves how difficult it is now to get a 'cold' month...January before showed more continuous chilly/cold conditions throughout the month particularly the further north you went with a CET of 3.1c but even that wasn't that noteworthy.

I mentioned the last time we had a -1c anomaly winter month on the 1961-90 series was over a decade ago and that wait goes on and the main problem in my mind come early winter is there is not enough cold in place, the continent isn't cold enough, sst's are too warm (around our coast and elsewhere) all the ingredients to stop frigid months.

Overall the winter 2020/21 was probably better overall for cold than expected coming into the season, don't forget the fear was for La Nina to become to strong which in effect didn't happen and the month most amateur forecasters wrote off (January) for cold actually was the coldest, remember Brain Gaze of TWO suggested the winter could be 'bookended' with cold shots...way off the mark!

• Like 1

Posted

It's definitely been a better winter than 2019/20 that's for sure. December was pretty cold at the start and end, with the first White Christmas since 2004. Lots of days with falling snow and many snow days. I only recorded 1 ice day on the 7th Jan, but many days had maxes of 1-2c. The snowfall on the 20th Jan was probably the best snowfall, and what makes it even more special was that it was 11c in the morning, with heavy snow in the evening. 

Winter 2020/21, I'd rate it a 7/10 purely because of the number of snowy and frosty days, though it would be higher if the February cold spell offered more.. A very enjoyable season.

Posted

A mediocre 5 out of 10 here. Decent cold at times, disappointing on the snowfall front, but one if the better ones of the last 10 years or so, not as good as 12-13 but better than 17-18. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Just purely in my location: December was pretty mediocre colder after Xmas,  January was simply dire, chilly with many cold rainy days although the month did start with some air frosts (something which didn't happen at all previous winter). Finally Feb delivered some actual cold weather for a week with a bit (not enough) of snowfall with the usual post milder event after. 

Better than anticipated for cold coming into the winter but what will stick in my memory will be the awful January - 5.5/10 for me

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

Not spectacular down in the south east, however a week of lying snow in February is better than most winters so I won't complain, particularly as my location isn't generally great for snow in the shadow of the north downs. Some areas not to far from me managed some rather more impressive depths. 

2020-21 will also go down in the south of England as a winter of marginal near misses. Often we got sleet or cold rain when northern areas fared a bit better. 

The period from Christmas to mid-February was the most intriguing period of model watching for a number of years and served to remind us on a number of occasions how unpredictable forecasting snow is in this country and the computer forecasting systems still have quite a long way to go before they can be relied upon completely beyond around 72-96 hours. 

Overall, not bad, best since 2013 (2018 was better if you include March). 

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here in Edmonton it was a very dry but fairly average temperature wise winter.

overall mean temps finished at -11c which is below the average of -8.9c this mainly due to the severe cold outbreak in the first 3 weeks of Feb ..Dec and Jan were above average for temps...but Feb ended well below normal

we received only 20mm of precipitation for all 3 months with most of this falling in Feb..Dec had 0mm and Jan 7mm so winter was exceptionally dry. Also had no winter storms this winter which i have never seen before and have had only one this season which happened over the weekend of Nov 7-9th.

All the above is pretty remarkable since we were in strong La Nina conditions which historically favours very cold and snowy winters

looking forward to spring so bad now 

Posted

A pretty decent Winter here.

Quite a snowy period late December into early January. 

Then another even better snowy spell on the 24th January. Only lasted a couple of days really but was great to have none the less.

The second week of February cold spell, though not giving copious amounts of snow, I still enjoyed the dry powdery nature of the little we did get along with the frigid temperatures and ice it brought. Loved walking on hard frozen ground with patches of snow around and a hard frozen canal along side. Of course had we had more snow then it would have been better, but I still appreciated it for what it was. 

Not sure whether I'd rank it above Winter 2017/18 or not though. That Winter had a pretty good snowy spell in early to mid December round these parts, which was if I remember rightly was deeper than the deepest snow we had this Winter (24th Jan) and lasted a little longer too. Not forgetting the beast from the east in late Feb/early March 2018 and even the mini beast of mid March. 

If we're  strictly speaking the period 1st Dec to 28th Feb then technically it might be said Winter 2020/21 was better than 2017/18 but practically speaking it probably isn't. Although that might still change I'm certainly not anticipating it.

What it certainly was better than though by a country mile was Winters 2018/19 and 2019/20 as well as all 4 Winters from 2013/14 to 2016/17.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
13 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I am very surprised that "Weather History's" winter index for 2020-21 ranks above 2012-13, when that winter was colder overall than this year.  The CET for winter 2020-21 was 4.4*C, which is slightly milder than the 1961-90 average, and close to, or just below the 1971-2000 and 1981-2010 averages, and around 0.4 - 0.5 under the 1991-2020 average, which all in all, makes winter 2020-21 look a very average winter overall in terms of temperature, and similar for overall temperatures to 2017-18.  In some ways this winter was similar to 2008-09 in terms of the cold spells that occurred, with the cold end to December and first third of January, an overall January CET similar to that of 2009, a cold spell in the first half of February suddenly fizzling out into mild weather in mid-February.

This winter leaves us with two of the past four winters close to average, and two well above, and prior to that 2013-14 and 2015-16 were also well above average, and 2016-17 was also quite mild.  We have still not had a colder than average winter since 2012-13, and the last significantly cold winter overall was in 2009-10.

At least winter 2020-21 was a significant improvement from a cold perspective on the previous two winters, although it wasn't particularly cold overall, and was reasonable for cold outbreaks even though it saw nothing too severe or prolonged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

For here I'd rate the winter as a 7/10.

Above average for snow and cold. We had a lot of falling and settling snow but nothing heavy (15cm+). So that stops me rating it any higher. Certainly the snowiest winter since 2012-13 in terms of the number of separate snow coverings but in 2012-13 we did get heavier snow so I'd rate that winter as an 8.5. Similar rating to 2017-18.

Overall though this winter just gone could've been much worse but better too. 

Posted
9 hours ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

I am very surprised that "Weather History's" winter index for 2020-21 ranks above 2012-13, when that winter was colder overall than this year.  The CET for winter 2020-21 was 4.4*C, which is slightly milder than the 1961-90 average, and close to, or just below the 1971-2000 and 1981-2010 averages, and around 0.4 - 0.5 under the 1991-2020 average, which all in all, makes winter 2020-21 look a very average winter overall in terms of temperature, and similar for overall temperatures to 2017-18.  In some ways this winter was similar to 2008-09 in terms of the cold spells that occurred, with the cold end to December and first third of January, an overall January CET similar to that of 2009, a cold spell in the first half of February suddenly fizzling out into mild weather in mid-February.

This winter leaves us with two of the past four winters close to average, and two well above, and prior to that 2013-14 and 2015-16 were also well above average, and 2016-17 was also quite mild.  We have still not had a colder than average winter since 2012-13, and the last significantly cold winter overall was in 2009-10.

At least winter 2020-21 was a significant improvement from a cold perspective on the previous two winters, although it wasn't particularly cold overall, and was reasonable for cold outbreaks even though it saw nothing too severe or prolonged.

This is because you are only looking at it from a temperature perspective. The index is also based on air frosts, falling snow days and lying snow. More lying days with snow here than during the winter of 2012-13.  Winter 2012-13 only got going  almost half way into the winter, there was a very mild spell from 20th December 2012 to 8th January with a CET of 7.6C, winter CET by end of first week in January was about 5.4C 

Same with summer, a high CET does not mean it was a great summer. You have to include sunshine totals and rain days. August 2008 is a great example of this, summer 2004 is another.

Infact the Manchester Summer Index for 1981 is above 2004 (196 to 194) , even though the CETs are 15.0 and 16.2 respectively. 

Posted

Better than last year's abomination but still poor, with all three months coming in comfortably above-average. The first half of winter was god-awful, with the festive period and run-up being particularly repellent - damp, sunless and with temperatures hovering between 1C and 5C, day and night, all thanks to a slack but persistent southerly flow. The absolute nightmare Covid Christmas. The second half saw two weeks of decent cold (one in January, one in February) more than cancelled out by exceptional mildness.

Another one for the bin in my book.

Posted
On 01/03/2021 at 05:34, Weather-history said:

It looks like it was a much better winter in your area compared to here. Here the winter index was 77, much below 2012/13 (103), 2010/11 (129) and 1995/96 (130).

The index actually flattered the conditions aswell, as out of the 19 days sleet/snow falling in the index, just 7 of those were of snow.

In a way it was a very similar winter to 2011/12 for us: completely snowless until February which was the month that actually salvaged the winter. We had a snowcover of 5.5cm on the 9th which was the best for us since January 2013. Frost-wise it was decent with the most air frosts since 2010/11 at 27.

The biggest story was how much rain fell though. For us it was the wettest since 1994 and it was just 2.2mm short of being the wettest since 1984.

• Like 1

Posted

I'd say it was a 'near average' winter here with nothing too interesting. January was perhaps slightly below average temperature wise but February was slightly above (-0.8C and +0.8C from my estimated 1981-2010 means).

Virtually no snow, not unusual for low ground here but 2019 saw more snow, as did 2018 (most of that in March I guess with two falls of 15-18cm).

It was also duller than average, so not a winter I'm particularly fond of.

No unusually low minima, but -5.3C on 1st Jan was possibly my favourite feature of winter with the hard frost and orange sunrise combination on New Years Day.

The February easterly was cold and windy but with no air temp below -2.2C. Indeed February had the 2nd highest 'minimum temp' for February in my 2008-present records (behind 2020's -0.1C).
Fun stat... winter 2013/14 had a lower minimum than this February 6 times, usually off a westerly.

Talking about 2010/11, that was in a different league here even if it was all about the December. 25cm of snow and -14.0C (on Christmas Day). January 2011 was still a touch colder than January 2021 here though, with -7.4C on the 31st. No winter since 2012 has managed -7C.

It shows how things vary around the country.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

Official statistics for winter 2020-2021 confirm a fairly average winter overall temp wise - compared to 81-10 figures, slightly milder when measured against 61-90 average, although Scotland was colder than 81-10 average. Rainfall wise quite interesting with the east much wetter than normal, Tyne and Wear reportedly had its wettest winter on record. Sunshine levels near average but duller than normal in western and southern parts.  Countryfile bbc forecast used to give an overview of the season just gone, as was expecting it on tonight's episode, nothing mentioned, almost as if we shouldn't talk about winter 2020-2021, erase from memory..

I was interested to note the Countryfile edition this evening reported on cold conditions in Scottish Highlands this winter, lochs frozen solid for 6 weeks yet the stats wouldn't make you think this could have happened. I suspect the period 24 Dec to 12 Feb was notably cold though, the remainder of the winter very mild. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Official statistics for winter 2020-2021 confirm a fairly average winter overall temp wise - compared to 81-10 figures, slightly milder when measured against 61-90 average, although Scotland was colder than 81-10 average. Rainfall wise quite interesting with the east much wetter than normal, Tyne and Wear reportedly had its wettest winter on record. Sunshine levels near average but duller than normal in western and southern parts.  Countryfile bbc forecast used to give an overview of the season just gone, as was expecting it on tonight's episode, nothing mentioned, almost as if we shouldn't talk about winter 2020-2021, erase from memory..

I was interested to note the Countryfile edition this evening reported on cold conditions in Scottish Highlands this winter, lochs frozen solid for 6 weeks yet the stats wouldn't make you think this could have happened. I suspect the period 24 Dec to 12 Feb was notably cold though, the remainder of the winter very mild. 

January was the really cold month for Scotland.

Mean temperature against 1981-2010:

9E74B1AC-AE6F-40BB-BEA3-00D20946E5A8.thumb.gif.189234e948ce926a027121bf89367c86.gif

Also against 1961-1990:

C128D8E3-B8CC-42A7-8020-350466AF7F78.thumb.gif.74a4299340a957288695f4a1b7d439c6.gif

Here are the overall Winter 2020/21 charts below:

Mean temperature against 1981-2010:

211C1745-092B-4464-AEDA-673AE72A6156.thumb.png.e7d4b066168f15ca0ac00dc9a6456928.png

Rainfall amount against 1981-2010:

67A8B513-1262-462D-8958-C7D77F8274B1.thumb.png.35b3d6ad17d38058985010da7f72d86c.png

Sunshine duration against 1981-2010:

A0D41B77-5A35-498F-A28E-18C5DF346C1F.thumb.png.7b81023b48db4d15f983ce7facb448b6.png

Fantastic Winter for many up here with plenty of snowfall/cold weather.

Special mention also for the distinct lack of gales/severe gales here in Western Scotland - recurring theme in recent times. 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Looking at the MO stats for winter, Scotland 2.12 C which ties with 1960, each month -December 3.4C tied with 2002, 1959 and 1985 , January 0.5C which is 10th coldest overall, Feb 2.5C tied with 1925

for my area of East Scotland -winter 1.71C which is .01 degrees below 2018, December 3.0C tied with 1929,1936,1912,1951,1959 &2000 , Jan 0.1C tied with 1982 and tied 12th coldest overall, Feb2.1C tied with 1899,1925 &1984 

• Like 2

Posted

Yes just a few miles inland from here all the heavy sleet and  very cold rain that fell here in January fell as snow inland and metres of snow piled up on modest hills so when we got freezing gales in mid February there was severe drifting,these scars are still very visible now and will probably last till June on those same modest hills. Some of the photos online of hill roads being dug out to service windfarms are awesome.

So really since last spring we have gone back to back to more usual in season weather with a fine dry spring with a cold early may here followed by the best growing summer i have seen on the farm.

Autumn started fine in September with a very wet October followed by a dry November often seen in the sixties. December went back to wet and turned cold in the last week with snow accumulating on ground above 600 feet. All in all a pattern reminiscent of my childhood days in the sixties. If we now experience a sustained cold spell in the next 6 weeks this will confirm that feeling as Easters /springwere often snowy up here. Remember one mid sixties Easter fishing on a loch with friend in fine powdery blowing snow showers.Would not do it today.!!!

• Like 1