Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold wintry Marches 1996, 2001 and 2006

damianslaw

Posted
On 27/02/2021 at 13:44, hillbilly said:

Yes an epic month.I believe in Whitby the March Maximum of 25 deg was recorded and was incredibly the hottest day of the entire year there,truely incredible.However with that in mind some places could have possibly recorded their hottest and coldest temps or very close anyway in the same month!

Yes, I remember reading about Whitby getting up to 25c on 29th March 1965. We had a holiday further up the N Yorkshire coast later that year and the weather was cool and cloudy throughout, leading my mum to refuse to holiday there ever again. And as a family unit, we never did return. I sometimes think of that last holiday when I've been sweating away in Whitby during the past few summers. Global warming was definitely not on the agenda in 1960s Heartbeat country!  

Posted
17 hours ago, JeffC said:

20-22nd March 2013 gave us 24 level inches at valley level, much more on the fells....

I remember it well for a number of reasons including an epic rescue involving standing in the downdraft of an RAF Sea King helicopter with between -15 & - 20C windchill for best part of an hour...

Oh and my son got to meet the Duchess of Cambridge at a scout camp...

Wow what a difference a few miles makes... I was in Kendal at the time and barely an inch cover, I remember travelling to Windermere possibly on the 24th it was the Sunday to see how much more snow had fallen there, and was greeted by about 5cms level only, but large ish drifts on side of road. I think the band of snow just clipped here, and there was a major divide between far SW of the county and remainder, an exceptionally localised event. 24 inches really... wow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I remember March 2006 being very cold and some snow to go with it but after quite a frosty winter starting in November what i did notice was by the end of March and going into April all the fields had gone yellow,something i hadnt seen in many years and have only seen it in 2013 since.Maybe it is due to a long cold season and certainly cold late into spring.

Posted
5 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I remember March 2006 being very cold and some snow to go with it but after quite a frosty winter starting in November what i did notice was by the end of March and going into April all the fields had gone yellow,something i hadnt seen in many years and have only seen it in 2013 since.Maybe it is due to a long cold season and certainly cold late into spring.

Winter 05-06 was very dry and alot of frost, quite an unusual winter. There was little mild weather at all, but also little snow and never especially severe temp wise. Can't compare it to many others, perhaps 95-96 to an extent which brought a similar March and was also part of a lengthy dry spell lasting 48 months. The 05-06 dry spell was shorter in duration roughly 18 months Feb 05 to Sept 06. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 25/02/2021 at 15:44, A Face like Thunder said:

Posted before but South London / Surrey borders, 15th - 16th March 1964.

bramley avenue 19.jpg

57 years on. Sunday 15th March was a remarkable day in S London / Surrey - pouring rain all morning and heavy snow all afternoon leading to this scene the following morning. According to Philip Eden, it was worse in the Midlands and Yorkshire where 25-30cm fell. 1.02 ins of rain recorded in London on 15th March, the wettest day of 1964 outside of the summer (Brazell).

Edited by A Face like Thunder

Posted
On 28/02/2021 at 14:15, A Face like Thunder said:

sweating away in Whitby during the past few summers

You jest surely, it is rare Whitby exceeds 25C and often only a handful of days top 20C
The North Sea is exceptionally dominant and is always on the cold side.
Very rarely. as happened in 1965 a foehn effect is created by air descending and warming dramatically after passing over the moors a few miles inland

Edited by 4wd
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, 4wd said:

You jest surely, it is rare Whitby exceeds 25C and often only a handful of days top 20C
The North Sea is exceptionally dominant and is always on the cold side.
Very rarely. as happened in 1965 a foehn effect is created by air descending and warming dramatically after passing over the moors a few miles inland

Not entirely, the week in July 2019 culminating in the UK's hottest ever on the 25th was horrendous at Whitby, and this applied at night as well as during the day. In my 70 years of visiting the North Yorkshire coast, I have noticed quite considerable changes with the temperatures, certainly the 2000/2010s compared with the 1950s and 1960s.

Posted

I live very few miles away and it is rare to get more than 3 or 4 days over 25C in the entire year and over 30C is practically a once in a decade event.
Unless you go back to 1975/76 which mysteriously get overlooked when people want to present the idea it is getting hotter  in the UK.  

• Like 1