Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The storm of July 18-19 2014

Eagle Eye

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I remember this as the scariest storm of my life, I came home and new there was going to be a storm, it was the last day of school and I had just been to the park. My Mum and my friends mum were talking about how the Met Office had the storm tracking right over us unlike the BBC, who had it missing us.It was that kind of day though and it began to rain and at that point in life I hated thunderstorms, so I went upstairs because I hated being in the kitchen which was more open in a thunderstorm.My Mum said it wasn't going to storm but I looked outside to something i'll remember forever it looked crazy lightning flashing with split clous that I realise now are probably Altocumulus Connecting to the main Cumulonimbus, eventually though the main cloud came over, fully it became an amazing storm looking now i'll look outsie and wonder about the beauty of mother nature but at that time the sky at Midnight ws never dark because it was that much lightning.Here's the lightning map.

image.thumb.png.ad3c9c48b53d5dad346ee73a26c17eef.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I do always remember this storm and sticks out as a good one in the last decade or so.

Temperatures had peaked around 32°C at the weather station at Gravesend.

Lovely warm evening (24/25°C) before the sky to the south started turning darker around 7 pm, big old shelf cloud with the sunset illuminating an orange glow underneath it. A real beauty of a storm, gust front accompanying it as it went right overhead.

I do wish for another storm like it photographically with the sunset illuminating it. I'm sure French imports have had similar features over the years but shrouded in the dark. Don't think the storm was particularly of notable intensity but the look was just amazing from a typical Spanish Plume setup which usually brings the storms well into the night over to Kent.

image.thumb.png.fbb22244dd70a7de8af99c7ab988fe61.png

Edited by Jamie M
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Here in Birmingham we had a corking overnight storm, the first overnighter for a few years

A really high voltage affair throwing out massive CG`s

It was the night of the BT tower strike which was caught by Brumcam

(I really wish i could stream audio back then)

Here`s one from another camera

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

This was the mother of all storms here on the Sussex coast, never known lightning so frequent flashing a couple of times a second, this along with 17/18 July 2017 both the best storms I've ever seen! Hopefully a repeat this year!

Nothing beats standing at the beach watching an electrical storm getting ever so closer off the channel from France. 

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

That was the best Spanish plume in recent years and the only time I remember 2 nights in a row, 17/18th and 18/19th with severe storms.  July 14 id say is a forgotten decent summer month, probably as it followed the amazing July 2013. 

We had another thunderstorm on the 25th.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Sticks out for me because we had a strike literally on the street. Felt like a lorry hit the place.

• Like 1

Posted

Strong memories of this one. A bolt struck a house in the next street and set it on fire. It sounded like a bomb went off. Car alarms were going crazy.

We went around the house turning every plug socket off after that.

Love a storm but would not care to repeat that one!

Edited by Spikey M
  • Thanks 1