Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February 1994 Snowy

damianslaw

Posted

February 1994 brought two cold spells, a mid-month easterly and then a battleline set up between 20-25th with the cold air to the east fighting with the atlantic.

The mid-month easterly brought a couple of inches and I remember the strong winds.

Dates are hazy but I think it was Wednesday 22 Feb that brought over a foot of snow here, earlier forecasts suggested the milder air would win through quickly, but the cold air fought it off, and won. Remember walking home from school in the afternoon with heavy snow falling and deep depths. Thursday 24 Feb was cold, and on the 25th another short lived snowfall commenced I think but the mild air quickly swooped in and there was a rapid thaw.

Would welcome others memories of Feb 94. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Great month here, Tues 22nd to Thu 24th, think I had 36 hours continuous snow, 13th and 14th good as well

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Great month here, Tues 22nd to Thu 24th, think I had 36 hours continuous snow, 13th and 14th good as well

Very quick reply. It must have been Wed 23 Feb then. The snow started late morning and lasted through the evening. Only had one snowfall that brought deeper snow since then and that was 5/6 Feb 96. 25 years and waiting for a single fall to produce more a foot or more. Heavy snowfalls seem a rarity nowadays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Just 20 miles from Windermere and it was a rubbish month here.

a few snow showers from the mid month easterly then the snowfall on the 22nd amounted  to 2cms.

had to wait till 25th for proper 8cms snowfall but that melted quickly.

I was in Keswick on the 22nd which was dry but watched in astonishment at cars coming from Ambleside which 8 inches of snow on the roof!

Pants!

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I was living in the Tyne and Wear area that month and there was some snow on the morning of 15 February which gave a dusting, and then frontal snow on the 16th which gave a more sizeable covering (probably a few centimetres or so) and then after early freezing fog on the 17th it thawed in the sun.

Snow depths were more substantial via snow showers from a second easterly on the 21st - probably around the three inch mark - which had reports of thundersnow in Newcastle although my personal weather records for that day don't mention thunder, so it might have missed my location.  The 22nd was a dry sunny day with a light snow flurry in the morning.  However, as is often the case near the Tyneside coast, the frontal breakdown from the SW didn't deliver much because of the onshore winds which resulted mainly in rain and sleet rather than snow.  There was one day, probably the 24th, when the rain/sleet turned to snow for a time.  The snow took a while to thaw though, it was gone by the 26th.

Locally the 1993/94 season was a little snowier than the 1995/96 one, thanks mainly to six consecutive days of snow cover even near the coast from the easterly of 20-22 November 1993, though the winter quarter (Dec/Jan/Feb) was snowier in 1995/96.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I remember this period too and in the south it was more transitory in nature.  This month sprang to mind actually, after the real battleground January and 1st week of February that we've just had.

The morning of 14th bought a decent snow shower from the east giving an inch or so but the deepest for us was about 2, maybe 3 inches tops, on the morning of the 15th.  This quickly melted by the evening though.

There was nothing more until a light covering from a snow shower early morning 21st, and then about 2cm the next morning (and even this was localised down here).  This was all gone by the 23rd and if I remember we had rain for the next few days while I remember hearing about snow for the midlands northwards.

Real battleground stuff, and not too dissimilar to what we've just had (though feb 94 was more easterly compared to jan 21s northerlies)..

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Just 20 miles from Windermere and it was a rubbish month here.

a few snow showers from the mid month easterly then the snowfall on the 22nd amounted  to 2cms.

had to wait till 25th for proper 8cms snowfall but that melted quickly.

I was in Keswick on the 22nd which was dry but watched in astonishment at cars coming from Ambleside which 8 inches of snow on the roof!

Pants!

Andy

I think the frontal snow came in from the south, and there was probably a rain shadow effect for the northern part of the County, but surprised only 2cms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

I think the frontal snow came in from the south, and there was probably a rain shadow effect for the northern part of the County, but surprised only 2cms.

The front was stalled by the Cumbrian Mountains and actually 2cms is being generous!

The snow reached Tebay which recorded 15cms but north of Shap the snow decreased rapidly.

Same thing north of Dunmail Raise so Keswick stayed dry.

Remember it all very well a Terrible day 

Andy

Posted
10 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

The front was stalled by the Cumbrian Mountains and actually 2cms is being generous!

The snow reached Tebay which recorded 15cms but north of Shap the snow decreased rapidly.

Same thing north of Dunmail Raise so Keswick stayed dry.

Remember it all very well a Terrible day 

Andy

It's that great Cumbrian divide, the Dunmail to Shap line I mentioned a while back..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

February 23rd 1994 was the last time a single snowfall in February exceeded 20cm here with a mean depth of just over 20cm. The 9th in 2007 came close though with a mean depth of 19.3cm.

No February since 1994 has matched the accumulated snowfall for the month of 33cm.

Posted

A month I remember quite fondly, in no small part because it ended 3 years of virtually no snow round here.

There were two snowfalls as others have described: one in the late afternoon/evening of the 14th which gave about 5cm and another the following week (22nd-23rd) which gave a good 10-15cm. The first was a classic straight easterly setup, and the second a great example of what I call a "Bristol Channel Low" which is one of the best setups for snow round here but usually brings rain to far southern parts (I remember the weather on TV that day, 0C under the snow in the Midlands and 10C on the south coast). English Channel Lows on the other hand often keep all the snow too far south (yes you 1st Feb 2019!)

Only thing that stopped it being a truly great month was the milder interlude in between about 17-20th, which stopped it having 2 weeks of straight snow cover. 

Just read the post above: it was the last time we had 10cm on the ground in Feb here, incredibly. Likewise the closest since was Feb 2007 (7cm). February snowfall really has fallen off a cliff since the 90s while January if anything seems to have become snowier.

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Was great childhood times 90's, nowadays cold spells break down with a whimper away from Scotland, this one, a few snowy breakdowns before mild air eventually arrived on 25th

archives-1994-2-24-12-0.png