Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Beast from the East 2021.Post-mortem.

sunnijim

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

A week of cold from February 6th to February 15th.

Snow has been patchy for some,non existent for others and plentiful for the lucky.

So give a quick rating and some detail for your locale as to what went  right or went wrong IYO for your neck of the woods and countrywide.

A rating out of 10 for snow.

A rating out of 10 for temperatures.

Personally speaking,and I might be wrong here but I feel the Storm system that tracked into the Low Countries on Sunday did for the snow chances for many.

It sent some warmer air into the mix and skewed the early days of what could of been a decent spell of settling Snow, decent North sea convection was limited and we were spending the first 48hrs clearing the 'dregs' of that system out of the way.

Only yesterday ( Wednesday) did I notice decent connective 'trains' arriving into the SE of England,which wasn't the case further North..but were they heavy here or just frequent?

Perhaps the depth of cold was never there in the first place and the flow to slack to send Heavy snow showers rattling across Southern England.

Temperatures, 6/10.reasonably bitter here and one Ice Day at 0c as a daytime high.

Snow.4/10. Falling from the sky on three different days,mostly light but a couple of heavier spells.Three different dustings that stuck quite well.

In Summary.No classic 'beast' here,but apart from wanting more snow,it has been quite a pleasant experiance.

Posted

4/10 at most. A little bit nippy - especially the last few nights getting down to -5/6 overnight, but not even the most snowy period of this winter round here, a covering at most one day. Awful. 

Would have took sunshine, mild and rain showers above a snowless Easterly like this. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A beast it was not. Virtually no snow here, temperatures creeping above freezing most days and nights weren't that cold.

This cold spell doesn't deserve to shine the shoes of the actual beast.

• Like 6

Posted

There were a few sweet spots (Eastern coats/higher ground in Scotland) who bore the brunt, and I'm pleased for some areas of the South East and East Anglia in particular who saw some of their best snowfall for many a year.

I still can't class it as a beast though. This wasn't a nationwide event, the impacts were extremely localised and very much focused on the eastern extremities. Whilst the rest of us felt cold, we only had a few days with flakes flying around in the air to appease our snow cravings!

Down in my part I'll give this a 1/10. No ice, no frost, no laying snow. Just 1 or 2 days with flakes flying around in the air. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

A waste it was in the NE, Saturday to Tuesday morning was just rubbish here. High cloud and Graupel showers 3/10. Tuesday night and Wednesday were much better and last night brought some very low temps in my region but all in all I would give this beast a 5/10. Synoptically it looked almost perfect an easterly with -12 uppers but it failed to deliver. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hardly a beast! too mild for snow to settle most of the time, only 2 dustings, nothing like 2018 and 30th Nov 2010

quickest thaw think ever yesterday in strong sun

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Unlike some, I am not whining... Five consecutive snow-days equals the March 2018 BFTE!

• Like 1

Posted

2/10 for snow. Very little only a few dustings

6/10 for Temps. 1 true ice day where temp stayed at -1 all day. I call it true as it wasnt due to a frosty start or cloud cover just that it was that cold if you know what I mean. As mentioned before felt it was overhyped. 

Defo not a Beast from the East. -12 uppers dont deliver now either

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Quite incredible really for parts of Scotland - snow and minimum temperatures wise!

363099F8-CF59-4876-A77A-872AFA6F99D5.thumb.jpeg.2b55c417d8902ee5fde5ff6758457001.jpeg

Check out the current maximum temperatures as at 12:00! 

76B49373-D49C-41B0-9B97-C5C73461A3E0.thumb.jpeg.546a6b74713c6fa3da7d79c9838e3817.jpeg

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
17 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Unlike some, I am not whining... Five consecutive snow-days equals the March 2018 BFTE!

Well you live in one of the few areas that was actually affected so what do you expect?

Accusing others of whining because you disagree or had a different experience was unnecessary. 

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Well you live in one of the few areas that was actually affected so what do you expect?

Accusing others of whining because you disagree or had a different experience was unnecessary. 

Moderator or not, Nick... give it a rest, eh?

Posted
25 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Quite incredible really for parts of Scotland - snow and minimum temperatures wise!

363099F8-CF59-4876-A77A-872AFA6F99D5.thumb.jpeg.2b55c417d8902ee5fde5ff6758457001.jpeg

Check out the current maximum temperatures as at 12:00! 

76B49373-D49C-41B0-9B97-C5C73461A3E0.thumb.jpeg.546a6b74713c6fa3da7d79c9838e3817.jpeg

Epic stuff here on the outskirts of Edinburgh 30cm level snow,,,,definitely the beast showed its hand up here ❄️

• Like 2

Posted

Amazing stuff up in Scotland. Enjoy.

I wonder why these conditions have lead to a record cold night. The uppers are nothing special and its not been particularly prolonged. My guess would be the extreme snowfall coupled with the uppers. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Epic stuff here on the outskirts of Edinburgh 30cm level snow,,,,definitely the beast showed its hand up here ❄️

And Edinburgh looks beautiful anyway, cant imagine what its like with the snow

• Like 2

Posted

Snow rating - 9.5/10 (You can never have enough snow)

Cold temperatures - 9.5/10 

37 cms of snow in this area. 33 cms of that fell from Sunday evening until 5pm Tuesday. The winds died down from early Wednesday so we lost the convective ability. We achieved just over 40 cms here in 2010 - that had 5 days worth of convective action. Had we managed to get another day or two of convective showers in this event then 50cms wouldn't have been out of the question. So, Feb 21 will be mentioned in the same breath as 2010 - to almost achieve what we got in 2010 in half the time is staggering.

IMG_20210210_163616816[2133].jpg

IMG_20210210_131427555_HDR[2134].jpg

IMG_20210210_131500874[2135].jpg

Edited by Sawel
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Back down to hertfordshire where it has been disappointing overall. Looking at those pictures from scotland reinforces the feeling that it is a different world up there as far as winter weather is concerned. We can only dream of those quantities of snow down here ,(apart from Kent/suffolk this time). It is true that if you include todays graupel then that is five days in a row that snow has fallen. Also these last few days have definately been cold. Also had some lying snow from Monday early morning so thats 4 out of 10 for snow. 5 out of 10 for temp. Just seems a pity with such a rare easterly synoptic set up for these times that we couldnt have had a better result. Certainly a few select areas did have 'beast' type snowfall and wind, but overall , no beast. Just a cold spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Pretty poor overall started like a kitten one day I gave lion cub status however I don't think anyone will really remember much about it in coming years. Certainly no Beast from the east here too feeble.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Pretty poor attempt at a real cold night last night, started out well getting down to -3.9c at around 8, but didn't drop from there. 2018's easterly was much more potent getting down to -6.1c the day before March! and four days in it was still was going strong 4 days in, this spell has already peaked. I'd put this easterly similar to the Feb 2012 one but even that had a low of -5.9c and deeper snow into inland parts rather than just the Eastern Coasts. Feb/March 2018, January & March 2013, all of the winter months of 2009 and 2010 were all better than this. 

Edited by 95 Degrees
  • Like 1

Posted

Been a good event here maxed out with almost 30cm, surpassed my expectations and brought some cheer to what has otherwise been a testing time. Commiserations to those less fortunate, I know this event has been far less generous in it's distribution so for those still waiting for snow good luck and there's still a few weeks of winter opportunities yet.

Forgot to add my ratings....doh

Snow 8.5/10

Temperature 7/10

Edited by pinball wizard
Ratings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

2/10

Max snow depth a pathetic 3cm that melted in the sun, zero ice days (closest we got was a high of 0.9C), lowest temperature only -5C.

Nothing special in any sense of the word. As mentioned, a few areas have done well but as the satellite images confirm, it’s been a very underwhelming affair for most of the UK. A classic it certainly isn’t, and -23C in Aberdeenshire doesn’t change that.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

was dry and nippy/fresh, nothing to really remember, trouble is this forum turns into the express as soon as the wind direction has a touch of E in it. 2 for snow 4 for cold, overall a good winter tho 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
11 hours ago, cheese said:

2/10

Max snow depth a pathetic 3cm that melted in the sun, zero ice days (closest we got was a high of 0.9C), lowest temperature only -5C.

Nothing special in any sense of the word. As mentioned, a few areas have done well but as the satellite images confirm, it’s been a very underwhelming affair for most of the UK. A classic it certainly isn’t, and -23C in Aberdeenshire doesn’t change that.

Never understand how the sun has so much effect in the UK in February. Places like Canada at a more southerly latitude to us can keep snow on the ground into March, even with full sun. 

• Like 2

Posted

Dry and very cold, 0/10 (maybe revised tomorrow) and 8/10). Agree with the opening statement, the low which brought all the snow to the far south east probably killed it for the rest of us before it really got going, no embedded troughs formed as per 2018 and the much touted significant snow event due to a battleground never happened. Does make me smile that the met refuse to remove this from their further outlook. Overll, a waste of heating oil!

• Like 1