Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
47 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

But now my attention turns to heat, and I think we are in a good position there going into the warm season, long range modelling is supportive of a decent summer, I will develop this theme in my posts over the next weeks, I’m sure. 

But to coldies, I think that is it for this year.  It has been fun talking so much more than usual on here throughout winter because of the lockdown.  You guys and girls are the best!!

All the very best, Mike.

Really? Last time I checked, GLOSEA looked mixed and CFS had a trough sat just to our west (potentially warm and thundery).

Admittedly not checked for a couple of weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
3 minutes ago, danthetan said:

Anyway...... sorry to Interrupt the winter funeral on the 20th of february. Yes we are going through a mild phase which to be fair is expected as we've been very fortunate this winter.  My thoughts are we will see a few more days of above average temperatures as the High pressure builds from the south later next week it will cut off the supply of warm air and as the days are getting longer so we will continue to see temperatures into double digits but also falling at night to low singe figures. After that a trough dropping into Scandinavia coinciding with vortex in canada on the move which could allow high pressure to pull west and give a northerly.

Yes, it's like burying somebody just because they're at the end of their life.. Wait until they're actually dead first.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Really? Last time I checked, GLOSEA looked mixed and CFS had a trough sat just to our west (potentially warm and thundery).

Admittedly not checked for a couple of weeks.

Probably a discussion for another day, Crewe?  I posted GloSea the other day, and it looks good, if you like summer that is (!). Admit I haven’t looked at CFS yet!  

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Probably a discussion for another day, Crewe?  I posted GloSea the other day, and it looks good, if you like summer that is (!). Admit I haven’t looked at CFS yet!  

Looks westerly to me Mike, perhaps more in the way of decent ridging further S-

2cat_20210201_mslp_months46_global_deter

But yes, discussion for another thread!

CFS has decent July with UK troughing for June and August.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Looks like there are no ice sculptured solutions in the offing in the foreseeable looking at the models. What a difference  from earlier in the winter when there were plenty, despite some saying it was a cold biased narrow minded view. Lol. It wasn’t- just a realistic assessment of what was on offer. Just as now is.  Back to the norm. 

• Like 9

Posted
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Looks like there are no ice sculptured solutions in the offing in the foreseeable looking at the models. What a difference  from earlier in the winter when there were plenty, despite some saying it was a cold biased narrow minded view. Lol. It wasn’t- just a realistic assessment of what was on offer. Just as now is.  Back to the norm. 

Yep, what a let down this February has turned out to be!  Probably get a few teasers from the models during March but that’s likely to be as as far as it will go.....

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Hey chio I disagree with those closing the curtains on Winter..its still to early and we just can't rule out another cold blast.. plenty of ens are showing those Heights in a better position. And personally I think its far to early to be talking about what kind of Summer we are heading for! At least 3months away.

gens-2-1-300.png

gens-3-1-300.png

gens-5-1-312.png

gens-7-1-312.png

gens-10-1-300.png

gens-11-1-300.png

giphy (2).gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
Just now, MATTWOLVES said:

Hey chio I disagree with those closing the curtains on Winter..its still to early and we just can't rule out another cold blast.. plenty of ens are showing those Heights in a better position. And personally I think its far to early to be talking about what kind of Summer we are heading for! At least 3months away.

gens-2-1-300.png

gens-3-1-300.png

gens-5-1-312.png

gens-7-1-312.png

gens-10-1-300.png

gens-11-1-300.png

giphy (2).gif

Lol. Winter ends in a week. Wouldn’t rule out spring cold shots though

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Thing is Mike Glosea was literally absent of the idea of blocking this Winter,so I'm very sceptical on that front!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, chionomaniac said:

Lol. Winter ends in a week. Wouldn’t rule out spring cold shots though

For many it does chio...im old school and keep with the 21st analogy though..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

CFS nailed summer 2020 months in advance- it was advertising thundery and thundery we got! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
3 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

Pub runs, both of them at T180:

BE884BF5-5764-426D-A29E-1638E0241DE7.thumb.png.745dc8d41efba127a4cf02a9511e7219.png10813A38-6C73-4AD1-8188-E14C16118B64.thumb.png.0e67b1a76310d48a7e73dac2334cf9e4.png

You’d have to back the // here, given the latest influence of the SSW which it will so better resolve given the increased vertical resolution, and it is leading to the more amplified solution yet again.    A question for you mike what convinces you that the Strat will still have its influence with our weather also if that was the case wouldn’t the UK Met pick that signal up to? In their extended forecast they have nothing of the sort. Thank you

Posted
On 14/02/2021 at 20:57, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Again a model over estimating a cold block, under estimating the Atlantic

It amazes me the Met forecast mild wet  weather days away and it usually comes true every time without fail yet cold or snow and it's a mess or wrong,  British weather eh

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Lookie here what I found...a Gfs 0z op low res cold snap..any takers?  ❄️ 

FB82E615-57B4-43F5-BDD4-06EE66223600.thumb.png.5d6340792f42f60bd0b30e39d68deae2.png60C8F754-2482-4E87-A921-1E3ED7463193.thumb.png.eb38dd57c838e65917ffc4ea9971b3bc.png77904A94-6A8B-47E0-9BCA-E6D10E82977A.thumb.png.beb6c56b141e8d1734364b5d2b9ec6e4.png0625E9DF-4B86-48D5-B70E-D265FC557FA1.thumb.png.e4efe29f6b92f9bf87695aa8276dfac0.png

• Like 7

Posted

Ensembles still not buying any proper cold snap. My towel is being prepared for launch. I’m actually looking forward to some spring sun and warmth next week

725F6137-E34E-4B07-AE05-4D91AB91FABF.png

• Like 7

Posted

It’s not looking that mild, pleasant days and frosty nights. Notable how dry it’s looking for most of England and Wales this winter we haven’t really had a break.

52792134-A413-4202-B0BB-5E9A80BD7D0E.thumb.png.4166fb4ded4968ba56452773a4752ab8.png2163D82B-5811-4F7E-878A-B5D0D1846B06.thumb.png.39ed47d25e91afd8681b6aa4f2829aa6.png

Posted

Same message as yesterday as second week March seems the earliest (based on the means) that we could see cold return. The forecast strat picture slowly being reflected a week or so later on the trop means. Of course we’ve seen many times in the past that a predicted disappearance of the Canadian tpv is overplayed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
8 hours ago, chionomaniac said:

Im not a coldie as most of you know, but i entirely agree for what its worth....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

IMHO the ECM 00z is likely to be closest to the eventual outcome, as theres strong agreement between the ECM 00z and the NOAA Anomaly charts. heres the 6-10 day mean (so day 8 being the middle of that period) alonside the ECM00z for day 8 (850hpa, i prefer to use the 850s). thats what i call agreement, so the ECM ooz is highly likely to be the nearest current run?

610day.03 sunday.gif

ECM sunday.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
7 hours ago, syed2878 said:

Sorry, can’t seem to quote your question, but it was about further influence from the strat, I think there is some influence predicted on the NH as a whole, but I think it is looking increasingly unlikely that it will lead to a further cold spell here.  That’s a change from the kind of runs we saw only two or three days ago, but they were always in FI anyway.  

Posted
44 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It’s not looking that mild, pleasant days and frosty nights. Notable how dry it’s looking for most of England and Wales this winter we haven’t really had a break.

52792134-A413-4202-B0BB-5E9A80BD7D0E.thumb.png.4166fb4ded4968ba56452773a4752ab8.png2163D82B-5811-4F7E-878A-B5D0D1846B06.thumb.png.39ed47d25e91afd8681b6aa4f2829aa6.png

Would fog/mist start becoming a player under these cooler nights?

I mean it was pleasant yesterday in these parts, but I didn't remove my jacket during my walk yesterday afternoon. Seems we're in for some typical late-Feb / Early March weather, cold mornings/evenings with decent afternoons - where the fog/mist stays away. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

As I said in my previous post, teasers likely for March but that's all they're likely to be!

Posted
10 hours ago, D.V.R said:

Yes, it's like burying somebody just because they're at the end of their life.. Wait until they're actually dead first.

Considering the rest of February looks mild, I think it's safe to say from a cold perspective winter passed away last weekend?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

FB82E615-57B4-43F5-BDD4-06EE66223600.thumb.png.5d6340792f42f60bd0b30e39d68deae2.png60C8F754-2482-4E87-A921-1E3ED7463193.thumb.png.eb38dd57c838e65917ffc4ea9971b3bc.png77904A94-6A8B-47E0-9BCA-E6D10E82977A.thumb.png.beb6c56b141e8d1734364b5d2b9ec6e4.png0625E9DF-4B86-48D5-B70E-D265FC557FA1.thumb.png.e4efe29f6b92f9bf87695aa8276dfac0.png

Gfs trying to sell us a parrot! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

Meteogroup (BBC) talking about 18c possibly being reached in parts of East Anglia Weds. in the sun that will feel very warm