Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
29 minutes ago, Ramp said:

I don’t have the knowledge in this field, mainly due to them being as rare as hens teeth. 

Yes, in my time on here, I’ve only ever seen 1 polar low, it was the one we tracked real time on here, which was interesting because they don’t normally show up on the models in advance, and this one did, just.  Can’t remember which year it was, maybe someone can remember?  I seem to remember @chionomaniac posting a lot about it?

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
33 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, in my time on here, I’ve only ever seen 1 polar low, it was the one we tracked real time on here, which was interesting because they don’t normally show up on the models in advance, and this one did, just.  Can’t remember which year it was, maybe someone can remember?  I seem to remember @chionomaniac posting a lot about it?

January 2004....

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

January 2004....

Thanks!  But definitely before my time!  There was one in the last few years.

Edited by Mike Poole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

The Iclandic met office show temperatures of - 5 to -15 widely over the whole country on Easter Monday . These are the lowest I have seen in a long time so very very cold air heading our way and I totally agree with mr frost the convective showers could be epic along with any kind of polar low.. This could produce a memorable spell.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The ECM 12z charts for Easter Monday  takes my breath away..they have the WOW factor for sure!...that, with the wind-chill factor would feel absolutely bitterly cold...it’s amazing to think we’ve seen almost 25c 77f in parts of the south and yet early next week we could be talking about drifting snow, severe frosts etc...wow wow wow..the duality of spring in a nutshell..these charts are nuts!!! ❄️ ⛄️ 

841B5B26-8697-4D69-B298-B8762476728E.thumb.png.3ca2e8e35301fe1c62b18e289b4e5b97.png5FD2CB5C-24BD-49C2-BB3D-E93D1EBE3347.thumb.png.b66b5b6151dd3726de69bd279b3a6cd6.pngFC5B5D6E-23BD-491A-81D4-5FE0F68D5A06.thumb.png.35c775cd4e385dfea94ad9200d75316e.png2DA6778F-6E11-4B4E-91BB-D3ECB1973D98.jpeg.92aeadd991186f6491bd1fa6e0528c6a.jpeg

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

ECM mean T144:

5CFFAC6D-08D8-4F31-AC25-C3A437ABBDCA.thumb.png.2885149f26ce9137476cb2f37f67f3da.png

The cold is coming, what is not clear at all is whether this will be a blink and you miss it cold snap, or a more prolonged affair...we will see...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I'm certainly expecting some heavy downpours in lowland east London with hail or thunder.

Snow? No, in all honesty - maybe a flake or two falling but nothing settling.

-8 850s across most of the country by Monday.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

All Easter egg hunts will require hats and gloves kids.

That is if the 12z ECM mean has anything to do with it

You don’t see many Easter days like this 

image.thumb.gif.7cd43af3ff92d60bb3912a1d171da30e.gifimage.thumb.gif.92358fb22c587e3492f8da42b7b84350.gif

• Like 9

Posted

ECM 12z clusters, first the T120-T168 one:

20619A42-3913-431E-AD12-502A1BACF2B9.thumb.png.00c921204a068bec2165480e33343c72.png

Variations on a theme i would suggest, cold and unstable airflow from the north.  

T192-T240:

22F39620-2734-40FE-99F0-6C10C939491D.thumb.png.0ee071e18a40746e5dd6fa914b832d24.png

They don’t actually look that different, to be honest, UK in trough, high lat blocking to our east and west.  Pick the bones out of that!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

All Easter egg hunts will require hats and gloves kids.

That is if the 12z ECM mean has anything to do with it

You don’t see many Easter days like this 

image.thumb.gif.7cd43af3ff92d60bb3912a1d171da30e.gifimage.thumb.gif.92358fb22c587e3492f8da42b7b84350.gif

Erm, don't like to point it out but Easter Day in the South will be pleasant enough for an Easter Egg hunt. BH Monday might be different though, granted

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM 12z clusters, first the T120-T168 one:

20619A42-3913-431E-AD12-502A1BACF2B9.thumb.png.00c921204a068bec2165480e33343c72.png

Variations on a theme i would suggest, cold and unstable airflow from the north.  

T192-T240:

22F39620-2734-40FE-99F0-6C10C939491D.thumb.png.0ee071e18a40746e5dd6fa914b832d24.png

They don’t actually look that different, to be honest, UK in trough, high lat blocking to our east and west.  Pick the bones out of that!

Pretty representative of the operational 12z ECM. A cold unpleasant 3 or 4 days from Monday and then it goes west-based and more Atlantic influenced (and still quite unpleasant!) for the southern half of the UK. All in FI so little confidence in that of course but that's what we have in the models at the moment

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, LRD said:

Pretty representative of the operational 12z ECM. A cold unpleasant 3 or 4 days from Monday and then it goes west-based and more Atlantic influenced (and still quite unpleasant!) for the southern half of the UK. All in FI so little confidence in that of course but that's what we have in the models at the moment

In graph form:

image.thumb.png.5366dde9fbba829e1221f3905971890d.png

Op yet again at the coldest end of the envelope but it's nailed on for a cold three or four days next week

image.thumb.png.b476f70679d834110d700741b8a8defc.png

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, LRD said:

Erm, don't like to point it out but Easter Day in the South will be pleasant enough for an Easter Egg hunt. BH Monday might be different though, granted

Granted, it’s all to see regarding the output, it’s a long way to go yet, but Easter eggs could be not milk chocolate .....but white chocolate ❄️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
28 minutes ago, stodge said:

I'm certainly expecting some heavy downpours in lowland east London with hail or thunder.

Snow? No, in all honesty - maybe a flake or two falling but nothing settling.

-8 850s across most of the country by Monday.

On that point the latest met office 10 day trend is showing the northerly with the 'wish bone effect' with regards to showers. Other models are showing showers countrywide.  Surely now that we have stronger solar radiation I thought it was expected that if you have a robust northerly in place there will be considerable instability at this time of year. So what is behind the met office's thinking that showers will mostly be confined to coasts still ? Any ideas?..

• Like 1

Posted

ECM joining GFS and UKMO this evening, all show a direct potent, very potent arctic blast by Easter Monday. Significant wind chill whill feel bitter despite the strength of the sunshine, and I would expect plenty of convection thanks to the added heat from the sun.

Both ECM and GFS locking the cold in place for a few days, signs of a shortwave development over Iceland, polar low anyone, dropping into very low uppers, could be some significant low level snow from that feature - all conjecture though at this stage.

Look at forecast dewpoints exceptional stuff, evaporative cooling will be in free fall, this will increase likelihood of low level snowfall.

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Granted, it’s all to see regarding the output, it’s a long way to go yet, but Easter eggs could be not milk chocolate .....but white chocolate ❄️

Sorry, what I meant is you showed a chart for Monday and Easter Day (traditionally egg hunt day) is Sunday - which is still showing up as ok in the southern half of the UK. In fact most of the holiday weekend is looking alright for southern/central Britain. Monday looks awful of course

The hail and rain fest starts Monday (snow possible if you're north of Manchester)

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, minus10 said:

On that point the latest met office 10 day trend is showing the northerly with the 'wish bone effect' with regards to showers. Other models are showing showers countrywide.  Surely now that we have stronger solar radiation I thought it was expected that if you have a robust northerly in place there will be considerable instability at this time of year. So what is behind the met office's thinking that showers will mostly be confined to coasts still ? Any ideas?..

Probably like the cold earlier this year which was supposed to have showers limited to the East coast that made it all the way to the Midlands west.... ?‍♂️ 

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Got to be honest and I don't want to be a killjoy here but I don't think you nor I, in our respective locations, will see an awful lot of snow anyway. If GFS is correct some lows crashing into colder air will give us more chance late on next week

The north, in places, look like getting something significant out of this, however

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Indeed - Easter Sunday looks lovely down there! Mid teens and sunshine for many!

9AFCA3BB-091A-4978-89E0-C582C7DA2729.thumb.png.8afa083ca8433af896fda0c4c2a653f3.pngBB4547B6-9F57-4339-83E3-AF1AFF47311D.thumb.png.cb6435aba862922153822d11e4b6c68e.png

Also later that night into the early hours of Easter Monday...watch out for some back edge snowfall/wintry mix in the SW/S/SE. (Especially East Anglia)

Cold air is not far behind at this stage.

Monday 00:00:

D29877F3-CD34-4161-956A-A5D3A6DBCEFE.thumb.png.74102511c953922cb20ea66b01e59fe5.png1039B462-9C21-4113-A894-3023A62ED5B1.thumb.png.34c6446f8178b64dbdb9f8f887a4683c.png

Purely speculation at this timeframe of course - interesting none the less. 

Yep, agreed. That is going to be quite squally overnight Sunday into Monday down here. I want it to delay until Monday morning just to witness what it produces rather than sleep through it. For me the change is unwelcome but as someone interested in weather it'd still be interesting to watch it unfold

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, LRD said:

Sorry, what I meant is you showed a chart for Monday and Easter Day (traditionally egg hunt day) is Sunday - which is still showing up as ok in the southern half of the UK. In fact most of the holiday weekend is looking alright for southern/central Britain. Monday looks awful of course

The hail and rain fest starts Monday (snow possible if you're north of Manchester)

Correct, how wrong of me Easter is on a Sunday and I’ve kids as well

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Correct, how wrong of me Easter is on a Sunday and I’ve kids as well

Ha! No worries mate! I've only got one who is young enough for that sort of stuff now.

Sorry mods. Delete if necessary

• Like 1