Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Hmm - could have done with -10c across whole country, must admit i was hoping for -12c or -13c for me, anything at -8c or higher will melt on contact here, a little disappointed.

Well T168 and we have this zoomed in to the UK:

A0D6A86A-0975-4C1D-8EA9-7A71AAA18743.thumb.png.4cc7c3d7a15621a9edbe2b81e7c0ac7e.png

-9 most places, -10 midlands/Wales.  But melt on contact i get you - if it is coming on the back of +24C temperatures, that will be a big issue!  Then the question will be how long the northerly will last for with these uppers in place, and it is too early to tell yet...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Hmm - could have done with -10c across whole country, must admit i was hoping for -12c or -13c for me, anything at -8c or higher will melt on contact here, a little disappointed.

Unless we can get it wrapped around the N or W flank of that trough and get some continuous heavy snow.

Nyet spaceeba, I'd rather see +15C!

• Like 7

Posted

We had snow melt issues in February with -10 uppers on an easterly. The only way you’re going to get lying snow out of this is with a frontal disturbance embedded in the arctic air with some sustained precipitation. The problem with convective showers is that you need the sun to generate it, and it’s way too strong to allow snow cover to last.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

image.thumb.png.be986f63309e3545e34d0b07cca56b31.png

Excellent. I look forward to the incoming wind, rain and hail shower-fest IMBY. I might, just might see a flake or three of snow if I climb to the top of a very tall building

Can't wait

image.png.f6a16254524d23043e4b2a5243264358.png

Edited by LRD
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
11 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Nyet spaceeba, I'd rather see +15C!

Another go now at 216, you aint gonne see that for a while

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Dominic Carey said:

I really am hoping for a major weather model u-turn in the next few days as nice is it is seeing these charts I don’t really want them in April. I’m sorry if that goes against snow hopes but I rather have warm and sunny weather now.

I’m with you on that, would massively prefer warmth now, but the weather enthusiast in me senses the possibility of an unusual event, which has to take priority in the short term, since it seems to be firming up now on the models.  Even if that unusual event only amounts to a couple of hours of big snowflakes that only settle on the grass.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dominic Carey said:

I really am hoping for a major weather model u-turn in the next few days as nice is it is seeing these charts I don’t really want them in April. I’m sorry if that goes against snow hopes but I rather have warm and sunny weather now.

Me too. I’d be more up for it if we got a historic snow event out of it (just to say  I experienced it), but it’s hard enough to get a northerly to deliver snow in mid-winter, let alone April.

• Like 3

Posted

So ECM goes for a repeat at day 10?

144 not looking so west based any more is it.... where's Don? One of these charts is before day 10!

ECH1-144.gif

ECH1-240.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Another go now at 216, you aint gonne see that for a while

I'd rather nail my willy to a piece of wood!

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, General Cluster said:

Good luck with that mate!  Look we can only comment on what the models are showing and they are interesting for cold next week, and it is getting into the reliable now.  A cold spell in April would be highly unusual given recent years, wouldn’t you say?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Au contraire, powerful convection on a deeply cold N’ly is a weather lover’s dream. We’ve got months ahead of us for sun and warmth.

And we have months of half-hearted cold behind us

This is utter dross and no good for coldies (unless you're high up somewhere) or warmies

image.thumb.png.01e3ba7c5b55d0afb87b2a0ec5071582.png

But for MBY, the hype:

image.thumb.png.1907c36c461f1e7cffdabaf5355da027.png

and the reality:

image.thumb.png.2ba3779e6e8ca2317444ae185ba779db.png

Much like the winter just gone here!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

If we get another go that would be better than benign weather.

As for Willy, do you mean this one?image.thumb.png.6bb01f24313cba9151b639da204c5fdb.png

• Like 7

Posted

Got to say, too, that the much-maligned GFS (assuming next week's crud verifies that is) has handled this so much better than the ECM and UKMO. Those 2 have been all over the place at 144 and 168 lately

Last night the UKMO completely cut off the N'ly

Utterly typical that this happens in April. You can bet your bottom dollar if this was Dec, Jan or Feb this cold spell would disappear as quickly as... well... as quickly as lying snow in April

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, LRD said:

Got to say, too, that the much-maligned GFS (assuming next week's crud verifies that is) has handled this so much better than the ECM and UKMO. Those 2 have been all over the place at 144 and 168 lately

Utterly typical that this happens in April. You can bet your bottom dollar if this was Dec, Jan or Feb this cold spell would disappear as quickly as... well... as quickly as lying snow in April

Some of us have also been much-maligned for banging the drum over winter for the Parallel GFS, aka now the OP.

One thing noted is that it still has a tendency to find the correct solution then wobble once the others get on-board... so far so good this time round, even considering some slight delays to the original signal.... 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

All alingned.. the arctic outbreak is on.. we just need to decipher to what degree nxt 3/4 days.. intriguing/interesting doesn’t even cut it.....

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, LRD said:

Yes, it does look like another win for the GFS.  I said so earlier - as far as UK weather is concerned, if Greenland heights are the main driver, it is the only scenario it seems to have the edge over the ECM/UKMO.  This one not nailed yet, but like the scenario in the middle of winter, it seems to have handled this better.  

• Like 9

Posted
4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Some of us have also been much-maligned for banging the drum over winter for the Parallel GFS, aka now the OP.

One thing noted is that it still has a tendency to find the correct solution then wobble once the others get on-board... so far so good this time round, even considering some slight delays to the original signal.... 

The GFS that we have now - is that what used to be the Para back in the winter? Ah right, didn't know that. Ta

Even the Para used to overblow cold but it seemed to do better than the old GFS

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, it does look like another win for the GFS.  I said so earlier - as far as UK weather is concerned, if Greenland heights are the main driver, it is the only scenario it seems to have the edge over the ECM/UKMO.  This one not nailed yet, but like the scenario in the middle of winter, it seems to have handled this better.  

Interestingly the GFS 12z ens came in milder and a few ensemble members have the northerly way out west. I think the northerly will happen but it isn't set in stone till T96 either. In all likelihood, I think it will happen though given all the OPS are going for it.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Agreed.

Those who do want this wind and hail fest to come off, a friendly warning. Through the winter just gone there were loads of juicy looking charts spewed out by all models. In this part of the world the reality was far, far removed from the promise of the charts (as I said in a previous post in a flippant way)

Do you know what, if we were guaranteed an April 1981 event I'd probably be egging it on. But that's unlikely and I just fear it's going to be a grim, horrible slush, rain and hail-dominated spell that benefits hardly anybody - coldies and warmies alike - except some coldie sheep and cattle in the Highlands of Scotland and maybe Cumbria and Snowdonia

• Like 6

Posted
7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Interestingly the GFS 12z ens came in milder and a few ensemble members have the northerly way out west. I think the northerly will happen but it isn't set in stone till T96 either. In all likelihood, I think it will happen though given all the OPS are going for it.

Wow, yes, I've just had a look. Thanks for the heads-up. Those ensembles are nowhere near as good for cold as earlier GFS ensemble runs today. Could be a blip of course but interesting and offers some glimmer of hope

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Wow, yes, I've just had a look. Thanks for the heads-up. Those ensembles are nowhere near as good for cold as earlier GFS ensemble runs today. Could be a blip of course but interesting and offers some glimmer of hope

I'll happily take P13 but I'm clutching at straws. If the cold northerly does go wrong, it'll be because of an area of low pressure between Greenland and Iceland complicating things.

If we did get an April 1981 event, I'd be open to this coming off. However this pattern is just a marginal mess. Sleet and hail showers during the day. Something interesting may happen if a band of heavy and organised precip develops but that's a lottery. For most places, the most interesting thing will be the cloudscapes in the heavy showers.

• Like 2