Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted

GFS is having the morning off on the French website, so here's the Canadian model all the way from Germany... Clear? 

GEMOPEU00_84_2.png

GEMOPEU00_108_2.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
Just now, Griff said:

I know a certain @MattHugowho rates the gem highly at short range

Very cold at ground level as well griff . Certainly not your standard April

228193B5-BC40-4934-BED4-2E8EBC2138D4.png

16321D9B-00D7-4796-BDDD-1524D3ECE4AF.png

B24390D5-4101-4682-82D3-218EF0F7E828.png

• Like 8

Posted

This depth of cold is unusual for January now,, nevermind April! must be odds- on some records are broken next regarding cold temps and maybe even snowfall!

• Like 8

Posted

I think we will begin to see a marked change in the weather pattern in 6-10 days time. The outputs from the anomaly charts is starting to show this.

I'll post in a bit with charts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I think we will begin to see a marked change in the weather pattern in 6-10 days time. The outputs from the anomaly charts is starting to show this.

I'll post in a bit with charts

To be honest John, i would be a heck of a lot more surprised if we didn't, given the -10c isotherm and snow showers are going to be powering down the country in 5 days time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

To be honest John, i would be a heck of a lot more surprised if we didn't, given the -10c isotherm and snow showers are going to be powering down the country in 5 days time.

I get your point, feb -- but the springs of 1975 and 1996 come to mind: the cold just seemed to go on and on and on?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

I get your point, feb -- but the springs of 1975 and 1996 come to mind: the cold just seemed to go on and on and on?

Yes, but the -10c uppers would have to get cut off for a mild sector, as troughs have to keep coming down from the North for a N'ly to continue, and at this time of year, the mild sector will mean a big change in surface temps so if only brief, where as in Jan, the troughs might just mean an injection of moisture and heavy snow, so you might not really notice much difference apart from the flakes getting bigger and juicier, now it will almost certainly mean rain / much warmer temps, that was a very long winded way of saying that i don't know if its even scientifically possible to have everything that falls from the sky to be snow with the -8 to -10c 850hpa isotherm over us for ages in April, where as in Jan it probably is although unlikely these days.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Crazy pressure over Greenland. GFS 06z GFSOPEU06_48_1.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And here it comes: Bish, bash, bosh!

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 6

Posted

Friday 2 April and looking at the 500 mb anomaly charts

Ec-gfs, just ec, anyone any idea where gfs 500 output is please?

Ec shows very little ridging on the latest output with marked troughing from n of Alaska/n canada all the way ne of Greenland down over n’ern Scandinavia but not quite as pronounced as 24 hours ago into southern Europe. The flow over the uk n of w but less n’ly component than 24 hours ago

Noaa and it continues its idea of shifting the area of maximum +ve heights westwards. It is now over where usually the deepest upper trough sits, so its centre of 210 DM, effectively cancels out most of the usual troughing, leaving a segment off sw Newfoundland. The effect is still sufficient to give a n if w flow across the uk, but it shunts the trough a bit further east and makes it less sharp into Europe.

What do these changes on both models suggest fr uk surface weather?

Well, as I often post, we need continuity from the models and agreement between them, each for 48-72 hours. Noaa is not usually wrong but it does happen. IF the pattern suggested by both models continues along the lines of the last 24-48 hours then a more westerly upper air pattern would follow. Currently about 30% in my estimation. I’ll wait for at least another, preferably two, before I become convinced.

The 8-14 noaa is very similar to 24 hours ago and it shows more general w'ly flow into the uk, so perhaps a touch more reliability to the 30% I suggested, time will tell!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
39 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Friday 2 April and looking at the 500 mb anomaly charts

Ec-gfs, just ec, anyone any idea where gfs 500 output is please?

Ec shows very little ridging on the latest output with marked troughing from n of Alaska/n canada all the way ne of Greenland down over n’ern Scandinavia but not quite as pronounced as 24 hours ago into southern Europe. The flow over the uk n of w but less n’ly component than 24 hours ago

Noaa and it continues its idea of shifting the area of maximum +ve heights westwards. It is now over where usually the deepest upper trough sits, so its centre of 210 DM, effectively cancels out most of the usual troughing, leaving a segment off sw Newfoundland. The effect is still sufficient to give a n if w flow across the uk, but it shunts the trough a bit further east and makes it less sharp into Europe.

What do these changes on both models suggest fr uk surface weather?

Well, as I often post, we need continuity from the models and agreement between them, each for 48-72 hours. Noaa is not usually wrong but it does happen. IF the pattern suggested by both models continues along the lines of the last 24-48 hours then a more westerly upper air pattern would follow. Currently about 30% in my estimation. I’ll wait for at least another, preferably two, before I become convinced.

The 8-14 noaa is very similar to 24 hours ago and it shows more general w'ly flow into the uk, so perhaps a touch more reliability to the 30% I suggested, time will tell!

Im a little more optimistic than you John.. timing may be open to change but a return to a Westerly is going to happen, and so the current evolution of the NOAAs is more likely than 30% imho, but i may well be wrong! lol, im just hopeful .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 hour ago, Ramp said:

Just cold all the way through the 6z

Couldn’t agree more, I’m not saying the 6z op is right by any means but it’s certainly the coldest Gfs run I’ve seen for a while in the build up to this upcoming unusually severe arctic outbreak (for the time of year)...! ❄️   

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 8