Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

The recent feature of op runs being amongst the coldest options continues on this morning's GEFS:

image.thumb.png.feb6ccd1dc0de24404641759901a2d6f.png

The mean reaches uppers of -5 for about 20 minutes in London. But there is a healthy cluster supporting uppers being lower than that come the time. Obvious question is are the milder members, which are bringing that average up right or wrong? If they are wrong, we're in for an unpleasant spell. If they're right we're still in for an unpleasant spell - but it'll be a milder one!

Edited by LRD
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
51 minutes ago, LRD said:

The recent feature of op runs being amongst the coldest options continues on this morning's GEFS:

image.thumb.png.feb6ccd1dc0de24404641759901a2d6f.png

The mean reaches uppers of -5 for about 20 minutes in London. But there is a healthy cluster supporting uppers being lower than that come the time. Obvious question is are the milder members, which are bringing that average up right or wrong? If they are wrong, we're in for an unpleasant spell. If they're right we're still in for an unpleasant spell - but it'll be a milder one!

As it's time for making guesses as to how April's CET will go, the crystal-ball charts suggest hints of something better, possibly, by mid-month:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

I'm now wearing my summer plumage!

And the ECMWF looks to be firmly in the 'Who knows?' category, at Day 10:

ecmt850.240.png    ecm500.240.png

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Pretty awful charts for April, it must be said. Just wish it was winter - I’d be getting excited now.

Wrong thread this is the model discussion output not the moans and groans thread.

Amazing weather at the moment going from unusually warm weather to unusually cold weather in the span of days with chance of warm weather records being broken then could be cold weather records being broken.

Fascinating model watching again after dross for 6 weeks,

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Wrong thread this is the model discussion output not the moans and groans thread.

Amazing weather at the moment going from unusually warm weather to unusually cold weather in the span of days with chance of warm weather records being broken then could be cold weather records being broken.

Fascinating model watching again after dross for 6 weeks,

Totally agree sleety 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

ECM 0z ensemble graph:

image.thumb.png.644c9b39cf2f9cfdf97d57cb8e265146.png

A few things I see

1) a slight delay of the coldest conditions until later on Monday for London. Probably of no consequence though

2) when the cold is here it's colder than yesterday's mean. Seems to be going in the opposite direction to the GFS ensembles which are trending warmer

3) an op run which, yet again, is amongst the coldest options

I'm very much looking forward to a hail shower or three and some fleeting sleet

image.png.8043308248a0351aeb5e4bd3b3f82d0e.png

• Like 7

Posted
10 hours ago, Empire Of Snow said:

18z has no significant changes. Quite similar to 12z until 174h but the difference is that it's setting up a direct reload at 180h. 

Boo, was hoping it would have reverted to colder again after the blip on the 12z. The signals are for the worst of all worlds, cold and unsettled in April but no white stuff.

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

YES PLEASE 

Yes indeed, I have my bit & brace firmly in hand -- I'm ready to start drilling!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

As we get nearer to the reliable we see the usual correction from the ECM and new-GFS viz over-hyped blocking, so the pattern gets pushed east with each run, as the phantom Thursday cold spell proved. So as the Atlantic high topples and sinks we should still see cold uppers dragged from the north, but the trough is now to our east and the over amplification is toned down yet again:

d7 gfs 06z>gfs-0-168.thumb.png.089774e1c36dca93565b485aade0ba57.png

At least we had the Yin to the Yang with the old GFS, now just the Yang, no balance here, just over zealous modelling of heights post-d8 and quite unhelpful. Looks like a 2-3 day cold upper air flow IMBY before temps are moderated more towards the average?

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Lots of fair weather cloud around at the moment in the South - will the all time March record be under threat after all!? Interesting day ahead! Usual London hotspots are still forecast 24C! 25.6C to beat! 

Gonna be a close run me thinks and after looking unlikely a few days ago, I think it's probably more than likely now.  Familiar trend these days of warm spells continuing to be upgraded.  Bit like the end of July last year when a warm spell was modelled and many were wondering if 30C would be breached.  The reality was 37C was recorded in London!

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Gonna be a close run me thinks and after looking unlikely a few days ago, I think it's probably more than likely now.  Familiar trend these days of warm spells continuing to be upgraded.  Bit like the end of July last year when a warm spell was modelled and many were wondering if 30C would be breached.  The reality was 37C was recorded in London!

37.8C, 100F!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Several places have 23c+ , mainly Lincolnshire.... we might not have beaten the all time March record, but we have beaten the daily one. That was 22c set in 1907... So thats 2 daily records broken in successive days.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
15 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

This really is looking like a direct hit from the north at 5 days out.  Uncertainty about how long it will last and what depth of cold will follow, but it is sure going to feel a lot different to today!

The Met 10-day update suggests a continuation to at least d10 based on latest ecm data which is trending for a UK trough. The gfs moves towards that on the 12z at d9.5:

gfsnh-0-228.thumb.png.27eb744cae504106ef40b2070157ad00.pnggfseu-1-228.thumb.png.3af8adaa79e485588bcbe37702c85414.png

Certainly a cold upper flow and chances of snow for some I would have thought? The above being what many of us wished for in Jan/Feb! The tPV has been open to this all winter and finally the waves marrying with a UK direct hit!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Still caution advised but the models are firmed up on at least two days of unseasonal cold. Remarkably well modelled by the Gfs in its strongest area, Greenland. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, IDO said:

The tPV has been open to this all winter and finally the waves marrying with a UK direct hit!

This is absolutely correct.  There has been no significant trop PV in any of the usual places all winter, and we’ve had a SSW, but we’ve never landed anything severely cold during the entire winter.  Obviously we have had colder and snowy weather on occasion, mainly further north, but it will go down as the winter of potential that was largely unrealised.  

Having said that, these patterns are actually more likely in the spring than winter.  

• Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, IDO said:

As we get nearer to the reliable we see the usual correction from the ECM and new-GFS viz over-hyped blocking, so the pattern gets pushed east with each run, as the phantom Thursday cold spell proved. So as the Atlantic high topples and sinks we should still see cold uppers dragged from the north, but the trough is now to our east and the over amplification is toned down yet again:

d7 gfs 06z>gfs-0-168.thumb.png.089774e1c36dca93565b485aade0ba57.png

At least we had the Yin to the Yang with the old GFS, now just the Yang, no balance here, just over zealous modelling of heights post-d8 and quite unhelpful. Looks like a 2-3 day cold upper air flow IMBY before temps are moderated more towards the average?

5 hours ago, Griff said:

Being prudent, I wouldn't plan a BBQ anytime between Sunday evening and Tuesday lunchtime, and I'd be hesitant to make socially distant picnic plans on Thursday through to Saturday of next week either...  

That said, stranger things have happened in shorter time spans, we could be fortunate and have a slight glancing hit, blink and you'd miss it, or, equally we could be looking at the full-monty, double dipper, with a direct hit then more potent reload. 

I'm not a gambling man, and taking emotion and preference out of the equation, these are interesting charts and make for good model watching. 

As other, wiser people have said, this scenario is difficult for the models and I'd expect further chopping and changing... 

20 minutes ago, IDO said:

The Met 10-day update suggests a continuation to at least d10 based on latest ecm data which is trending for a UK trough. The gfs moves towards that on the 12z at d9.5:

gfsnh-0-228.thumb.png.27eb744cae504106ef40b2070157ad00.pnggfseu-1-228.thumb.png.3af8adaa79e485588bcbe37702c85414.png

Certainly a cold upper flow and chances of snow for some I would have thought? The above being what many of us wished for in Jan/Feb! The tPV has been open to this all winter and finally the waves marrying with a UK direct hit!

Just so long as no one says anything is guaranteed, even at this range. 

As already mentioned, I'd expect a few chops and changes yet

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
32 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Really exceptional stuff from GFS 12z just seems the cold taps are left running. Fascinating output for April.

66206388-294F-45EB-832D-004C5D280263.thumb.png.0d17072aebec0287aa8b439476b4e12d.png467CA477-B6DA-4E87-A5C3-0F841CC8E59F.thumb.png.023770a9262d5e67934f10faceb6615f.png

Yes the gfs 12z lines up at least 3 more organised sleet/snow chances for some in between the sunshine and wintry showers. 

image.thumb.png.52b0053ee090d947029e831ad07571d8.pngimage.thumb.png.3c25641eb7cd8d4ac63e5f6bef05cfe9.pngimage.thumb.png.9427ac1a0e0e9d29db8357280b04a84c.png

53 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

UKMO T120:

95AE8906-571B-4261-A174-D13FEF1FEE80.thumb.gif.c17b504aac6a59ecd84fecd60145e53c.gif5E83613D-8AB7-49B5-999D-3746ED124A09.thumb.gif.631d25fb3dd38d0b42c75d87ed4a41fc.gif

GFS T120:

1F55A913-2AE8-4BE5-B544-891114FCCB53.thumb.png.f479e2f0de98aa5d07f4c66d3e137540.png5C9FC041-6498-4D8B-B70E-8233D3269BD5.thumb.png.8c4aa5095a3c55c8e0e177f985012357.png

This really is looking like a direct hit from the north at 5 days out.  Uncertainty about how long it will last and what depth of cold will follow, but it is sure going to feel a lot different to today!

I think the UKMO T120 presents the almost perfect northerly Mike....

Edited by minus10
  • Like 7