Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted

Kicked this thread into a bit of action, can understand it being quiet over recent days, but the models are showing quite a bit of variety rest if month and into April, so couldn't understand why no comment.

• Like 8

Posted
16 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Kicked this thread into a bit of action, can understand it being quiet over recent days, but the models are showing quite a bit of variety rest if month and into April, so couldn't understand why no comment.

the last time we had a proper cold Easter period was in 2013. Easter 2019 and 2020 were both pretty good i'd say, so I wouldn't mind a cool Easter this time around. Chart's do look very interesting, maybe a 2008 repeat 

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

The GEM 12z is a mad start to the Easter weekend . 

E2ED39B3-E77F-4EFE-B9BA-4254398BDF37.png

CDF6C215-8257-45D4-837D-F29229A9C969.png

The ECM day 10 mean is looking strikingly similar to the Gem day 10 . 5A30FA52-1276-4CAD-B91E-C665EAAC60FA.thumb.png.08cebd3fcaec0e56ee6bfe4ccf4f40ec.png

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted

GFS 18z same theme to an extent to 12z high pressure moving in next week, but instead of keeping it to our west, it moves it through the UK, but the eventual path is the same, retrogression to the NW and a arctic northerly thereafter, a sustained one as well..

• Like 9

Posted

There’s definitely been a shift to a cool opening week to April even warmth late March looking more subdued. This March has been extremely average, and boring let’s hope April is more varied and interesting it could well be we all knew a repeat of last spring was very unlikely. 

ECE8EEFE-69A2-4E92-8069-8C7DCFD7A20E.thumb.png.a44d95dc1e71dbc30b017dcfb2cb4106.png

• Like 5

Absolute horror show through Easter and typical weather now we can met people outside. GFS 00z ensemble suite dreadful from the middle of next week onwards really very below average and one of the coldest Easters in years on the cards with temps struggling to get past mid single digits and snow showers almost down to the south coast. Given cold SSTs and outlooks like this I don’t fancy the chance of any big spring warm up any time soon unfortunately. 

Posted

Morning..

Much colder upper air temperatures moving southeast across the country on friday.. frequent showers for the north and west, there is the small chance of isolated thunderstorms, if these do occur they will probably most likely be for northern Ireland and Scotland..  the showers will probably fall as sleet and snow to some lower levels of Scotland at times, showers may also fall as sleet and snow on high ground of northern England and northern Ireland too.. the chance of hail in a few of these.

1532915427_EUROPE_OVERVIEW_66(1).thumb.jpg.6bfafb58b1e231b046d58f83fa554195.jpg

Upper air temperatures..

EUROPE_TMP850_66.thumb.jpg.24c92c0349158e3155c3a02cdac08a79.jpg

Likely to be wetter than initially thought for southern parts of England, this largely from a weather front set to move through England and Wales during friday which may be squally, a short period of heavy rain which may give 5-10mm in 2-3 hours in a few places with strong gusty winds, developments along this front probably slowing the clearance until friday evening for eastern England.

Icon..

00_57_ukpreciptype.thumb.png.b5e4aec8dd1259c18131c0112773603b.png

00_63_ukpreciptype.thumb.png.273cebb3f0a5c06452fc664ecf4f9a6b.png

Still likely becoming generally drier for southern England during the weekend although with the exception of some possible patchy rain most likely on sunday from a frontal system moving west to east in northern areas with snow on higher ground of Scotland in this and from showers also very windy in the north too.

Overview..

EUROPE_OVERVIEW_90.thumb.jpg.b51886ec252a0a2cce7eed260b8a1b2b.jpg

EUROPE_OVERVIEW_114.thumb.jpg.ff77700a2b6a31b08ff03cc9033eace9.jpg

Temperatures..

Saturday..

EUROPE_TEMP2M_90.thumb.jpg.cc7d964706d3a4069e287bcc04157ee4.jpg

Sunday..

EUROPE_TEMP2M_114.thumb.jpg.1ce313c09c27042722ec2f5bb8f5458f.jpg

First half of next week remaining unsettled in the north, temperatures likely to rise further for southern parts of England and Wales possibly central areas too, 14-16c likely for some parts of eastern and southeastern England. Although less likely.. temperatures may be higher than this with a chance of 17-19c.

Monday..

EUROPE_TEMP2M_138.thumb.jpg.e08d538fe9ef997574865b7bb8e198bc.jpg

Tuesday..

EUROPE_TEMP2M_162.thumb.jpg.8f60d71c98358f5e92bf8069f900226a.jpg

Later on next week wednesday-friday there is the chance of unsettled weather returning south to all again with a chance of wintry weather for some and low pressure near or over the country... Although it's probably more likely to become drier for most with colder weather moving south after tuesday or wednesday with higher pressure close by or over the uk. Northerly winds may feature for a time during this transition.. then perhaps turning more unsettled by next weekend but that's far out.

EUROPE_TMP850_AVG_168.thumb.jpg.e4f11611319f6185743ea11d3bbc6dbb.jpg

EUROPE_TMP850_AVG_216.thumb.jpg.79ae74ef6884071dca1873b77702583e.jpg

Edited by jordan smith
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Is anyone actually happy about the prospect of this northerly? I don't think I've ever wanted warm sunshine more in my life than right now.

Truly depressing to see the output this morning.

I'm expecting it to be mostly dull too as well as cold.

It’s crazy, I can’t think of anything worse in a normal year let alone after not being able to see people for nearly 4months in places, utter madness but most weather nuts are a bit loopy and will take their preferred whenever it comes along. I’d happily have 30c on Xmas day for instance... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

As a few others have stated, we are starting to see some guidance and patterns emerging for next week.

Looks like being very mild to start the week, perhaps up to Wednesday in places. By Saturday though...

image.thumb.png.f6195da89ad9b9e43e129dbb7f64b04d.pngimage.thumb.png.511c2c8abf5262111d18f06c4a3a75cb.png
image.thumb.png.a6c46c49c3e4233727b5a83592ffe8c1.pngimage.thumb.png.880c9df0a18d0ca21ce6e519f342d215.png
image.thumb.png.e34b1ef67a3775dd976219f08d898ec7.pngimage.thumb.png.808244ec7cb4a69c458d3928895b7109.png

Big -NAO pattern setting up, with mid Atlantic/Greenland blocking very possible....and a bitter Arctic northerly potentially setting in. The old adage about it being more likely to snow at Easter than at Xmas may be coming true again soon. Very cold maxima in low single figures, with high snow potential.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
56 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

I for one am very pleased to see this as its very seasonal for up here in spring and seems to support my theory that lack of pollution has allowed us to return to more defined seasons in the last 12 months.If true to form heat will arrive about the 20th of April along with the swallows and swifts.

I remember going through to Aberdeen in mid April in the early sixties on the bus along with my mother and sister to see Sound of Music at cinema in Holburn Street. We  came out of cinema at about 4.00pm to a heavy powdery snow shower. On the way back we sat in back of bus and I was able to observe some great towering  cloudscapes highlighted in pink as sun began to  set. They could be seen all the way home to the east coming on to the Buchan coast,I think they were traditionaly known as Buchan Boaters or spring snow showers on a north wind.  I only went because I knew I would see falling snow!!!!!  21c arrived the follwing week.

If my thoughts are right a traditional summer beckons with three fine days and a thunderstorm so something for everyone

Yes it does seem that the weather has been a bit more seasonal down here lately. Overall a colder winter and in particular i have noticed the delayed appearance of many of the spring flowers and those that are out staying out for longer in the cooler conditions. As a gardener i do not relish the thought of further frosts at this time of year however the onset of northerlies often mean you have crisp clearner air with good visibility and sunshine between  the showers (Must be particularly noticeable in scotland) . I often remember as a child in 60/70 s experiencing 'wintry' showers in April/May. Almost like chunks of ice falling from the sky!. Anyhow some warm weather to look forward to first hopefully before the onset of the colder air if it arrives. All in all very springlike....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Snowfish2 said:

Snowy Easter Anyone?! 

And, if we're extremely 'fortunate', even a slim possibility of some slush, underfoot! No, I think I'll give that a miss... BTW, when is the Easter weekend, anyway!

• Like 4

Let’s just hope there’s no lingering effects into May and early summer. With SST’s much lower along the south coast than in recent years I’m already concerned we’ll be shrouded in fog through late spring and early summer assuming warmer spells start to gather speed, we’ve been fortunate to have totally missed those horrid foggy days during the past 3-5years. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Let’s just hope there’s no lingering effects into May and early summer. With SST’s much lower along the south coast than in recent years I’m already concerned we’ll be shrouded in fog through late spring and early summer assuming warmer spells start to gather speed, we’ve been fortunate to have totally missed those horrid foggy days during the past 3-5years. 

Now this doesn't concern me. Things can flip very quickly and SSTs respond quickly. Just look at 2018 as a case in point. The SSTs had very little impact on that mid April hot spell after a cold spring up to that point.

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

I for one am very pleased to see this as its very seasonal for up here in spring and seems to support my theory that lack of pollution has allowed us to return to more defined seasons in the last 12 months.If true to form heat will arrive about the 20th of April along with the swallows and swifts.

I remember going through to Aberdeen in mid April in the early sixties on the bus along with my mother and sister to see Sound of Music at cinema in Holburn Street. We  came out of cinema at about 4.00pm to a heavy powdery snow shower. On the way back we sat in back of bus and I was able to observe some great towering  cloudscapes highlighted in pink as sun began to  set. They could be seen all the way home to the east coming on to the Buchan coast,I think they were traditionaly known as Buchan Boaters or spring snow showers on a north wind.  I only went because I knew I would see falling snow!!!!!  21c arrived the follwing week.

If my thoughts are right a traditional summer beckons with three fine days and a thunderstorm so something for everyone

A ten day chart is a ten day chart for awe that in that.