Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 10/02/21

phil nw.
Message added by Paul,

Please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
For more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GEFS 18z are a good match with the EC46.

The latest EC46 is showing a coldish week 2 and 3.  Not seen the rest of the run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, Don said:

The latest EC46 is showing a coldish week 2 and 3.  Not seen the rest of the run.

Yes - image.thumb.png.c737373464702d8527ac698fc7fc6ae0.png

image.png.676067d5d5733096a1d2390f7123d6e7.png

image.png.e712cfd93b8f71892b32edbed3d95677.png

Surface cold not frigid though - yet.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
2 hours ago, Battleground Snow said:

Ukmo at 144,

pretty consistent from yesterday, maybe a bit weaker pressure in Scandi, and the trough a little bit nearer to the UK

UN144-21 (1) (19).gif

UN144-21 (1) (20).gif

Considering the over night runs are consistently dog poo, it's an improvement, 

Let's look for a better day, and good 12z

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty ordinary output this morning.  There are indications that we might finally get there on the ECM and ECM para but it’s messy, tortuous and slow with lots of hurdles to cross.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Pretty ordinary output this morning.  There are indications that we might finally get there on the ECM and ECM para but it’s messy, tortuous and slow with lots of hurdles to cross.

240 attached for both runs, Para preferred

Hopefully the EPS will improve this time 

ECH1-240 (14).gif

ECH1-240 (13).gif

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Why are the 0z runs nearly always the most progressive? Is there some sort of bias built in, because it happens far too often for it to be a random quirk.

It's a myth.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, bumpydogz said:

It's a myth.

I'd like to think so too, but you can't deny how often they seem to be the most progressive suite.

Anyone else looking forward to some spring warmth currently suggested by the models?

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Robbie Coldrain said:

Starting to look like deep cold may be done for this year. Perhaps a tame beast towards the end of Feb?

Thanks for all the excellent posts and analysis. 

Never say never - but unlike a lot on here, I would take spring warmth over cold in March any day of the week! Deep cold should be reserved for winter only.

The EC46 are hinting that cold may not be a completely done deal though.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
17 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Not the sharpness to the upstream troughing this morning .

So chances of a quicker return to some colder conditions looks unlikely although the trend is still to develop some blocking to the east and ne.

Quite a large spread on the ECM ensembles further east , looking at the orientation of that in terms of 850s a cluster of solutions have that cold angled more favourably towards the UK.

I think the earliest we could see some greater interest is realistically days 9 onwards so the last week of February.

It does look drier regardless , blocking is very much a firm favourite but still too early to know whether that will bring more springlike conditions or whether it will set up in a way to bring some deeper cold .

ECM certainly has a spring like look to it in the latter stages. If it stays clear, a large diurnal range. Feeling mild in the afternoon sun but sharp frosts overnight.  Surface cold yes but deep cold looks just out of reach currently. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

ECM certainly has a spring like look to it in the latter stages. If it stays clear, a large diurnal range. Feeling mild in the afternoon sun but sharp frosts overnight.  Surface cold yes but deep cold looks just out of reach currently. 

I think in terms of any deeper cold still a bit too early to rule that out . Although a quick return is unlikely the actual block set up to the ne is more favourable today although whether the pattern can back sufficiently west is the bigger question .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

I think in terms of any deeper cold still a bit too early to rule that out . Although a quick return is unlikely the actual block set up to the ne is more favourable today although whether the pattern can back sufficiently west is the bigger question .

Don't disagree, was referring to a snapshot of day 10. Hopefully this is something to watch in the upcoming output.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

ECM certainly looking less cold and dare I say it a welcome introduction to spring.  I’m certainly not seeing any return to deep cold conditions in the models now.  Plenty of high pressure though to give us some nice dry sunny weather.    

It’s certainly been a fantastic winter of model watching that’s for sure.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I agree . The UKMO chart at 144t shows a resurgence of the deeper cold air over Southern Norway. 

C

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
9 minutes ago, carinthian said:

I agree . The UKMO chart at 144t shows a resurgence of the deeper cold air over Southern Norway. 

C

I have no issues with this I agree and ECM // strikingly similar

image.thumb.png.d8e61d2a0e0f7220ea78ed90f9e3279c.pngUKMO

image.thumb.png.32776235d12724b8c7f774bc9496614a.png

ECM//

• Like 2

Posted

Update on anomaly charts on Friday 12 February

Ec-gfs and both show much as the past few days, a general westerly flow over the chart until the marked trough coming out of between Canada and Greenland and in the direction of Iberia  with ridging out of northern Scandinavia north to jan meyen and north then into the deep trough down to the black sea.

Noaa 6-10 is pretty much a copy of the other two and its 8-14 similar.

So major change in temperature levels with a sw flow at 500 into the uk for the foreseeable. A chance for some warmer weather from the frigid values of recent days. It also looks fairly unsettled/changeable but the detail, as always, will be given by the synoptic outputs. Hopefully some dry days with warm sunshine would be my request!

• Like 6

Posted

All looks a bit underwhelming this morning, but nothing is a given at the moment.  I for one am hoping for another cold shot late February into March as I like others have yet to see much snow, despite it being a cold winter.  This winter has reminded me of 1995/96 in some ways in the sense that I saw no substantial snow then either in what was an even colder winter!

• Like 2