Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Signs of Spring 2021

Azazel

Posted

So with meteorological spring less than 3 weeks away and this cold snap failing to impress for the majority of the south west, I thought I would open this thread for anyone pining for the warmth and new growth of spring.

We have daffodils just about starting to flower here - a little later than what I’ve been accustomed to over recent years as it has been a bit cooler this winter.

Also some buds fattening on the local tree which seems to blossom way ahead of its peers.

Fingers crossed there’s some early warmth around the corner.

Edited by reef
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

It's snowing at the moment but a few weeks ago flowers were beggining to arise before though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I cannot wait now for some early warmth and sunshine. This easterly to me is just another waste of a cold spell if it isn't going to snow, just like the rest of this winter. Last Friday felt quite spring-like took a walk along the beach was 10c and sunny, with just a t shirt on.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, hot weather, dry, mild, gale force winds

Following this thread... desperate for some warmth and sunshine now. Thank goodness for the increasing daylight hours, makes things a little better

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, NPA said:

Following this thread... desperate for some warmth and sunshine now. Thank goodness for the increasing daylight hours, makes things a little better

Agree with that! who can't, but a long way off yet, ages to go yet in borefest quarantine, hopefully by end of Feb we will have a date to end this crap! just for Boris to extend it though due to another 50 or so variants which protect you from hospitalization

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, hot weather, dry, mild, gale force winds
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Agree with that! who can't, but a long way off yet, ages to go yet in borefest quarantine, hopefully by end of Feb we will have a date to end this crap! just for Boris to extend it though due to another 50 or so variants which protect you from hospitalization

Hopefully it will all coincide... Warm weather and sunshine, lockdown-free, vaccinations on the rise... Keeping my fingers crossed  

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I took a walk on Sunday and surprisingly I did notice that there was a bluebell and that the daffodils had maybe got 10-15cm of growth. I had not thought it warm enough.

Posted

We see blankets of snowdrops locally but they only came out en masse a few days ago. Given how cold it has been, it's surprising how advanced the daffodils are. They are reaching mature heights in many places and numerous heads have turned pale so should start yellowing next week.  Last Friday, I spotted a lone lilic-coloured crocus in a domestic bed that has hundreds in the spring. It looked sadly isolated yet was cheering at the same time. The oddest thing is how much the grass needs cutting. I think it's down to all the moss we have from 200%+ rain in January (according to the Met O anomaly map) which, added to a wet December, has stubbornly flooded the bottom of my garden for weeks. The thick and extensive moss must keep the grass roots warmer so it has been shooting up so that it is strangely tall and thin but a little sparse. If it turns dry, I will mow the lawns ... and then wonder what to do about all the moss.

I am at around 30m in the Vale of York.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Nothing happening here.Just before the cold snap some crocusses were trying to come out and just a few snowdrops which are late.All frozen in their tracks now until this cold snap ends.Interesting that i remember when i lived on the hilltops in the 1980s it was a regular occurance for daffodils to get buried in snow after they had flowered.

Posted

I saw a lone two daffodils out in someone's garden last weekend, and not in a sheltered spot either, quite odd, I wonder whether they shop bought and then planted, as none of the others growing nearby were about to open.

I noted as far back as mid Jan how advanced the daffodils were this year. I wonder if it has something to do with the very early spring we had last year, nature thinks we are about a month on from where we are? The mild November will have helped as well, combined with the mild 2 week period in the run in to christmas.

Two very small crocuses in my NW facing garden came out last weekend which I thought was rather odd given how cold it was.

The more I think about it, it must be down to the early spring last year. Expect early leaf development this year then despite the rather cold conditions we have experienced.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry and sunny with a gentle breeze ?

My mum used to look for celandine flowers as a sign of spring. I have noticed catkins and some leaf buds on the trees on my walk to work. Can’t wait for some warm spring sunshine.

Posted

I cycled through an estate built onto the next village which has no trees or hedges and more modest gardens where some have been replaced with hardstandings for cars (so more urban heat island effect than my village). There were a few daffodils in bloom, along with numerous purple crocuses.  (This area would be about 20m above sea level.)  On the way, I also noted that the gorse was coming broadly into flower on a south facing road banking.  In the strong sun, I 'd have thought it was spring if not for the face-numbing cycling windchill.

Posted

Saw another two lone daffodils on a country lane about 180m not very sheltered. Odd again as all the other daffodils look weeks off flowering yet.. almost as if they had been planted from bought. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Spotted my first daffodil today.

Bring on the sunshine and warmth!

• Like 3

Posted

Thats the thing here we have had a very cold December,January and now February with snow drops only just flowering  very stunted at about an inch high roughly a month behind usual with daffodils hardly breaking the surface yet, expect most will not flower till April now as ground so cold. Grass has stopped growing too  and no longer green mostly yellow/brown with all the bare frosts we have had in the last month. Feel its going to be a traditional very late spring in northern Scotland this year .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Possibly a much milder second half to February?

mild.thumb.PNG.8af852882db236faf8fdec441743295d.PNG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

You'd think there'd be plenty of signs of spring in the so called 'mild mild west' in which I live, but not so. Daffodils aren't there yet and things still very bare. Snowdrops are of course out but that's commonplace in February, and in the mildest winters (like last year) they're well and truly out in January.

The first pang of spring was in the sun and out of the wind on Friday. Next week could feel springlike IF it's a sunny mild. If it's just grey, damp and mild it'll be more of a November pang. Grey, damp, mild weather is unusual after midwinter so hopefully it'll be brighter. Could do with a sunny second half of the month to make up for such a dull January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I've enjoyed the snow. I'll take either extreme- ice days or warm spring- like sunshine like we experienced in Feb 2019. Judging by the models, we may be swinging from one to the other over the coming days. 

Whilst we are locked down, only able to take local exercise, the snow and bright sunshine that followed, lifted the gloom of winter. 

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted

Daffodils are out at my parents' house in Nottingham.

My daffodils in Manchester emerged quite a while ago but haven't flowered yet. Snowdrops are out though. 

Trees and things are showing signs of growth and budding if you look for them.

Posted

I suspect growth will advance rapidly over the next week or so with the much milder temperatures on offer. Hopefully it won’t be too gloomy/cloudy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I'm sceptical how much early growth will have survived those two nights of penetrating frost. Not sure the emerging daffs will have survived it here- they are hardy but that wind drove the frost deep.

Posted

Quite a lot of daffodils are ready to come out here- some already flowered before this cold spell. I suspect we will see many more opening in the next few days. The daffodils at the end of my street that are just emerging are very much alive despite the cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Quite a lot of daffodils are ready to come out here- some already flowered before this cold spell. I suspect we will see many more opening in the next few days. The daffodils at the end of my street that are just emerging are very much alive despite the cold. 

We'll only see what damage has been done in the next day or two. Penetrating frost causes plant cells to freeze and burst which sees fluids seep out of burst cells when the thaw sets in. 24-48 hours later the plant is effectively dead.