Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Couple of flakes here now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm moving from Exeter to Lincoln this Friday so wondered if this northerly would give me a rare snowy farewell to Exeter, but overall it's been pretty standard fare for Exeter with a bit of rain, sleet and graupel.  The dry air mass is limiting showery activity though, and it's probably a case of the dry air and the wind sucking out some of the precipitation, so less falls near the ground than is suggested by the radar.  It might have snowed here if the showers had been heavier.  I had to wrap up warm when out and about, but in the sunny intervals and out of the wind it was fairly pleasant for walking in.

Edit: someone who lives locally confirms that it did snow in Exeter at around 7am (though it didn't settle).  I set my alarm for 7:15am and woke up just after it had passed over, so I didn't see what the shower fell as.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Despite rain echoes of yellow and orange passing over while working on my bike outside, nothing has fallen from the sky. Temp reached 9.2°C.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I'm moving from Exeter to Lincoln this Friday so wondered if this northerly would give me a rare snowy farewell to Exeter, but overall it's been pretty standard fare for Exeter with a bit of rain, sleet and graupel.  The dry air mass is limiting showery activity though, and it's probably a case of the dry air and the wind sucking out some of the precipitation, so less falls near the ground than is suggested by the radar.  It might have snowed here if the showers had been heavier.  I had to wrap up warm when out and about, but in the sunny intervals and out of the wind it was fairly pleasant for walking in.

Good luck with your move, something different weatherwise, and certainly more luck for something white during the winter rather than the promise so often failed down here..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Good luck with your move, something different weatherwise, and certainly more luck for something white during the winter rather than the promise so often failed down here..

Certainly the average frequency of lying snow there is 3-4 times what it is in Exeter, and they also average roughly twice as many days per year with thunder, so I'm hoping to see rather more of my favourite weather types over there!

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like Warminster, or surrounding areas taking a right pasting from a heavy shower that developed just as it passed frome . 

B1089EF7-3846-487A-99C7-E8CA1890B4D2.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Morning sunshine replaced by squally showers of soft hail and sleet, passing through quickly, but more still to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Saw a few flakes of snow in Southampton earlier and apparently there were a few at home as well. Dry and mostly cloudy at the moment. 8.1°C

Posted

They must be getting a covering now over there.

F8ABCD10-8A57-431B-B01A-DBCFBE25F965.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

I can see the snow/soft hail sweeping across Clearbury Hill about a mile away.

Nothing here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A mix of sleet and polysterene showers for the most part here, although the last one produced a brief downburst of proper snow in the heaviest bit. The temp also dropped from 6C to 4C.

Posted

If you ever want to live in a place that sits in the middle of the showers, here's the place, look at this...no rain for us, but either side well..

image.thumb.png.17ec407ee1c4a1951509fffaa5326fbc.png

Posted

I finally managed to see some snow!  A bit feeble, but I stood outside next to my bins and I saw some fluttery snowflakes blowing past in the wind, it then turned back to sleet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A brief shower of what appeared to be a mix of hail and snow. Even started settling briefly but melted as soon as it stopped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Managed to get a brief video of wintry shower today.  This is from about 3pm.  Had 3 showers in total.  First snow seen in April since 2016.

Edit.  Need to work on video skills a bit as it has turned upside down for the 2nd half!  Hope no vertigo caused

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Started again and appears to be all snow this time. The temperatures dropped very quickly with it. 3.0°C

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
8 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Started again and appears to be all snow this time. The temperatures dropped very quickly with it. 3.0°C

IMG_5450.MOV

And your video didn't swing upside down like mine did!