Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

So I think we just experienced a supercell here on the south coast. Constant lightning, terrifyingly loud thunder and biblical amounts of rainfall. The wind gusts reached 40mph at times... Just incredible! 

Out the over side now and had 31mm of rain in 20 minutes. Crazy amounts that's have undoubtedly caused localised flooding.

Never seen such a strong thunderstorm in my life.

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Dean E said:

So I think we just experienced a supercell here on the south coast. Constant lightning, terrifyingly loud thunder and biblical amounts of rainfall. The wind gusts reached 40mph at times... Just incredible! 

Out the over side now and had 31mm of rain in 20 minutes. Crazy amounts that's have undoubtedly caused localised flooding.

Never seen such a strong thunderstorm in my life.

Just read your report in the storm thread and now the strong winds that woke me up in SW London around 3.30-4am make sense - either the leftovers from the system passing nearby or outflow. Sounds like a brilliant storm. Saturday night driving home from my mothers in Midsomer Norton we had some beautiful cloudscapes to enjoy across Salisbury Plain with a great view of nearby convection (our only heavy rain was at Longleat but Chitterne had signs of flooding). Back home in west London, we had thunder on and off for around 12 hours on Sunday with some heavy downpours but still waiting for some drama.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

Good morning,  lovely cloud formations today in and around my area , humid and sticky still bug pleasant nonetheless. 

It's trying to rain lol, as in it releases a few drops but  not much more .

Here is an example of what is around today . 

IMG_20210727_113626.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

20c, mainly cloudy but breaks in sky to allow the sun to come out at times. Not a bad morning, considering showers were forecast. Guess the afternoon will turn showery though.

20210727_114220.jpg

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Clouds bubbling up today. 
couple of what looked like storm clouds just bypassed our area.

EF1E9A55-281C-4A04-A75C-A8AF4F72DE89.jpeg

8EB3F0A8-8F94-4413-AB34-6D5E79F22377.jpeg

Posted

From my back garden.  The cloudsaes all,around d but delivering precious little in the way of rain . 

The sun is feeding the formations but little in the way of breeze to cool the temperature.  

IMG_20210727_121116.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Thus the view from the front of the house 7 minutes ago . 

IMG_20210727_134118.jpg

IMG_20210727_134102.jpg

IMG_20210727_134133.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

We are now getting the odd rumble of thunder to our east, I thought it was someone moving a wheelie bin to begin with but the second time it was obvious what the sound was.

Edit: now have flashes as well first that I am aware of for a while

Edited by Rich_Clements

Posted

Just scraped 21c here. I should be greatful but for some reason i'm cold lol! Think I became too acclimatised to the heat of late!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
On 27/07/2021 at 15:02, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Just scraped 21c here. I should be greatful but for some reason i'm cold lol! Think I became too acclimatised to the heat of late!

I was when I went outside too although  it’s only 18.0°C here. Luckily the house is still warm from the warmer weather we’ve had lately. 

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, matt111 said:

I was when I went outside too although  it’s only 18.0°C here. Luckily the house is still warm from the warmer weather we’ve had lately. 

Yes its 24c in here. I keep putting jumper on and taking it off LOL! I'm a cold blooded reptile though lol

• Like 1

Posted

18.3°C at: 13:26, I was just talking on a call with folks in South Africa (Johannesburg) and they are saying its SOOOOO COLD, and the temperature is 16°C .........come on now people...

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty hilarious this, such a poor forecast and we’ve had 2 brief drizzly showers amidst plenty of sunshine and 22.1c max!

Seriously want the same tomorrow but I can bet my life the downpours will turn up from late morning when we have family visiting for my boys actual birthday.

The only other recent afternoon which wasn’t appropriate to be outside was Saturday when we had some of his school friends here!

Posted
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

Pretty hilarious this, such a poor forecast and we’ve had 2 brief drizzly showers amidst plenty of sunshine and 22.1c max!

Seriously want the same tomorrow but I can bet my life the downpours will turn up from late morning when we have family visiting for my boys actual birthday.

The only other recent afternoon which wasn’t appropriate to be outside was Saturday when we had some of his school friends here!

Close to Sophies birthday! She was 6 yesterday on the 26th. There is 10 days between her and Jess whose birthday is on the 16th. Add in my nans (15tth!) and my sisters birthdays (21st!) and this is a mad, mad month!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Close to Sophies birthday! She was 6 yesterday on the 26th. There is 10 days between her and Jess whose birthday is on the 16th. Add in my nans (15tth!) and my sisters birthdays (21st!) and this is a mad, mad month!

The same day as my daughter, Jenny! Happy Birthday!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Went to Keynsham this afternoon to do a little golf with my boy.

Low and behold on the way back we noticed some really really low hanging cloud over some hills we weren’t sure if it was on the Mendips or Bristol Downs. 

I was driving so couldn’t get any photos at that time but the best most convenient spot was a hill coming back home past the Globe Pub on the A4 up the hill at the top. then looking back past Bath Hills it had travelled along from where it was originally to bath. 

it wasn’t a tornado as it didn’t appear to touch down but there was definitely rotation going on into a funnel cloud, albeit a messy funnel cloud. 

All of us here in the south-west of England definitely seem to have had plenty of whether to speak about this summer that’s for sure.

01618E82-9A34-4430-A073-C80FA03BC009.jpeg

381672D0-F9C1-4825-B1F7-F355D1DB954C.jpeg

EE70CC34-02B1-4CB6-93D6-2313AE06B43C.jpeg

8B871A0B-0E22-4C2B-B0BD-101F3A6C258B.jpeg

BBC8603D-DD91-4183-B243-8ACC1537576F.jpeg

92472FA4-F9C0-4096-B7C3-DBC636BEED5C.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Very heavy showers now after the clouds building and scooting elsewhere , but not now . Very heavy but its s nice sound on the conservatory roof.  Looks like there maybe more showers following in a while if they don't die out thet is . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The Severn Estuary proving to be the shower maker rather than the shower taker this morning. A stream of torrential downpours has moved through on the last 3 hours. Now brightening up.