Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Currently at 28.6°C.

Certainly feels like it! Been washing bags of pebbles for the pond, so it's nice getting cold water on my feet.

Posted

Making the most of the sunshine from the beachcam...

image.thumb.png.63648c913abce312013d9952b0348239.png

Question: Is it as convenient to take the BCP parking fine, for a day's parking at a convenient spot when going to the beach. THink about it... You park where you want in a convenient location of your choice, you don't pay the exorbitant car parking fees, and you have an a convenient walk back to the car at the end of the day...I wonder! OK so you have a fine to pay, but think of the covenience AND the fact you would have paid part of the fine in parking fees..

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Do they have a policy of clamping or impounding?

FWIW, I've been clamped before (in my own private parking space in central Bristol - ridiculous!) and it was a whole bundle of hassle getting the vehicle unclamped. Plus there was slight wheel damage.

Edited by dr weather

Posted
26 minutes ago, dr weather said:

Do they have a policy of clamping or impounding?

FWIW, I've been clamped before (in my own private parking space in central Bristol - ridiculous!) and it was a whole bundle of hassle getting the vehicle unclamped. Plus there was slight wheel damage.

According to the local rag just now it says

"BCP Council had issued 319 penalty charges notices up to 5pm." on the last hot day I think it was closer to 700, BUT they still have tomorrow to catch up!

Posted

Anybody around N/E Bristol/Bath notice a couple of "ufos" tonight? Moving Northwest to SouthEast on a line towards around Bath to my East from Winterbourne (about 10/15 degrees up from the horizon). About 10pm. I thought they were chinese lanterns how they moved from the distance with the naked eye but was surprised to see them definitely changing through colours of the rainbow when looking through bins. Same sort of direction where Jupiter and Saturn rose a bit later.

Never seen anything quite like it. Was there a northwesterly wind tonight? Didn't seem to be much breeze at all, so I'm wondering if the objects were under power? (too far away to hear anything.)

If I were to make something to look the same I can imagine microlights but with rainbow changing LED lights or even chinese lanterns if the wind aloft was strong enough and in that direction - although I didn't detect any of the usual orange glow of a flame, indeed - as I keep saying, perhaps with a strip of multicolour LEDs. Doubt they were drones as they were slow moving and seemed to continue in a straight line for miles.

Any ideas?

@offerman I think you're into ufos looking back at a convo in February?

Edited by kumquat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
4 hours ago, kumquat said:

Anybody around N/E Bristol/Bath notice a couple of "ufos" tonight? Moving Northwest to SouthEast on a line towards around Bath to my East from Winterbourne (about 10/15 degrees up from the horizon). About 10pm. I thought they were chinese lanterns how they moved from the distance with the naked eye but was surprised to see them definitely changing through colours of the rainbow when looking through bins. Same sort of direction where Jupiter and Saturn rose a bit later.

Never seen anything quite like it. Was there a northwesterly wind tonight? Didn't seem to be much breeze at all, so I'm wondering if the objects were under power? (too far away to hear anything.)

If I were to make something to look the same I can imagine microlights but with rainbow changing LED lights or even chinese lanterns if the wind aloft was strong enough and in that direction - although I didn't detect any of the usual orange glow of a flame, indeed - as I keep saying, perhaps with a strip of multicolour LEDs. Doubt they were drones as they were slow moving and seemed to continue in a straight line for miles.

Any ideas?

@offerman I think you're into ufos looking back at a convo in February?

Morning Kumquat,

Thank you for tagging me on to this sighting. 

I was at sandbanks all day and most of the evening too. When I arrived back i was shattered and went to bed early. 9.45 ish 

been awake since 3am as I was stuffy and Very hot. Tried sleeping since and resisted temptation to look at my phone ( until now). Was about to venture to the storm thread when I noticed your notification.

Sounds very interesting for sure. 

i know there is a display team for drones not far from bath , however, from your description , wind and distance doesn’t sound like they were drones .

Trying to be rational ( as I always do when I see things )  I do know of a father and son who fly planes with multicoloured undercarriage and emitt fireworks / pyrotechnics from their wingtips who present displays around the whole region.  They do displays for weddings, Longleat events, and more… 

they often practise and visit different towns to give free displays while they’re practising. I often see them over heavens gate direction and also towards Stourhead at times. 

Even though I’m very much in to the ufo subject i do argue against some sightings that are put forward as UFOs, Such as the Somerset Standard who kept banging on about a member of the public who filmed what they believed were UFOs toward Cley Hill / Longleat . I proved to the folk on the forum that these were indeed the display planes of the father and son team but posters were still adamant they were UFOs. I zoomed right in with my 82x optical camera ton prove it as I think it’s really important to look at every potential .

From what you said there id also rule out lanterns from the trajectory you mention and longevity. 

Maybe the display team? Possibility. I’d have to look to see where they were practising or any events locations to confirm our rule out this.

Sounds very interesting though none the less. 

I’m not sure about microlights as it sounds quite late for them to be up but I’m no expert about their flight time limits . 

UFOs ?possibly ! That are about and a lot of them at times too . I have been seeing them for the last 25 years and filming them for 17 of those years. 

Thanks again though for sharing your sighting with me. 

P.S If you’re interested , I am hoping to  reschedule my ufo presentation for possible October /November time Pending covid and personal situation. Crazy last 3 years really, lost my dad 10 months ago, since then mum been in hospital 3 times and also had cancer on top of all this. I’m the only one who looks after her and previously my dad too and the year of Agony leading up to my Dads passing really wasn’t pleasant  at all. Hopefully though things will become a little more settle for mum ( I pray for that to give her even a slightly better quality of Life than she’s had for some time) .

All being well I’m aiming for these months.   

take care,  let’s hope for some intense summer storms , more sunshine, then some snow for winter to come  and few more UFOs to boot as well

• Like 2

Posted

Wall to wall blue skies, after an overnight low of 12.3°C at: 05:38, currently 16.2°C with RH89%. Noticeably the wind direction has moved from S/SSE yesterday to ENE this morning..

More road closures today…I wonder? The A31 is already showing congestion, and the M27 has a 10minute delay at Junction 1 heading in to Dorset…

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
3 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Warm enough for breakfast outside!

We're just about to do the same. Beautiful.

Posted

And we're off running today...currently 25.1°C.. and the beach welll  it is filling rapidly..

Capture.thumb.JPG.5ba7af98de4eeab41c8a5b59c661c314.JPG

And this was the view yesterday..

Capture.thumb.JPG.132d7a981dca1f5448c8a9f496b60686.JPG

Posted
48 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

And we're off running today...currently 25.1°C.. and the beach welll  it is filling rapidly..

What I find strange is that I was at sandbanks yesterday the section by jazz café off to the right as you walk onto the beach

now we got there early while we thought it was early at 10 am and it was absolutely solid at a park quite a long way away touchy find a space which we were lucky to find that according to one really friendly resident

when all these photos pop-up showing hordes of people we didn’t find that at all yes it was busy but there was plenty of space all the way round no one felt cramped in at all there was lots of space

when we would looked further down the beach and it curves all the way around through Branksome Chine Boscombe across to Bournemouth it looked packed but then when you only see the tops of the heads looking along the same level it does give an optical illusion of being absolutely solid

Posted
51 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

I remember the Daily Mail sending photographers down there with telephoto lenses exacerbating things. The reason they were found out was because there was a guy  flying his drone down there and he could match up the same things in their photo that he was seeing from an aerial shot and it was far more spaced out and the daily mail were making out to be. 

I do know Bournemouth was packed last year because the resident was telling us that they declared an emergency ,I’m sure he said 55,000 tons of litter was left on Bournemouth beach on one day last year which is quite frankly disgusting we never leave one little bit we just take everything with us. 

what we did find surprising as well is as the day wore on yesterday I actually felt like it became hotter than it did at midday loads of people turning up with literally crates of beer ,no water or anything ,then as we were walking back we could see loads and loads of severely burnt legs backs  where they had  a drink or twenty , crashed out, no suncream probably dehydrating a lot of headaches around as well. 

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for the reply @offerman, Yes that father and son team does sound like it could feasibly be what we saw, although I'd have to say that the planes would have to be flying really quite slowly, for it to be that. I'll have a look into them and see if I can find any other corroborating evidence, for them being on that route at that time.

Is this the footage that you refuted?

WWW.SOMERSETLIVE.CO.UK

The Bath resident says he has never seen anything like it

That is indeed a strange sighting, but what you have described does sound like it's the answer. I've always been into the subject but take a very sceptical view, looking for the answers in the more mundane explanations, a bit like yourself. There's usually an answer in 95% of cases, I suppose its the other 5% of unexplained sightings that keeps my interest in the subject.

Sorry to hear you've had such tough time the last few years with your parents'  health. You are a good man to be putting such effort into caring for them even though it can be awfully stressful. I lost my mum last year after she'd been constantly in and out of hospital with COPD for three or four years. It really can wear you down, when all you want is for them to have a better quality of life. Then my partner lost her Mum 6 months later with a stroke out of the blue so I understand how tough these times can be. Stay strong and enjoy life as much as you can when you get the chance. 

Posted
2 hours ago, offerman said:

What I find strange is that I was at sandbanks yesterday the section by jazz café off to the right as you walk onto the beach

now we got there early while we thought it was early at 10 am and it was absolutely solid at a park quite a long way away touchy find a space which we were lucky to find that according to one really friendly resident

when all these photos pop-up showing hordes of people we didn’t find that at all yes it was busy but there was plenty of space all the way round no one felt cramped in at all there was lots of space

when we would looked further down the beach and it curves all the way around through Branksome Chine Boscombe across to Bournemouth it looked packed but then when you only see the tops of the heads looking along the same level it does give an optical illusion of being absolutely solid

Hiya, remember that the "hordes" come down the A31 and then the A338 straight in to Bmth, when beaches like Canford Cliffs, Durley Chine, Boscombe, Shore Rd, Sandbanks and Studland are (ssssshhhhh, the locals hide out), b*****r that's done it, even more so Swanage . For some reason people SWARM to Durdle door, I think largely because of the national press.

Personal I skip the local beaches until the end of the holiday season, then they can be enjoyed, having lived here for most of my life, I do appreciate the beach, but not when it's full of hordes of people, and I love it in the winter..oh and of course I can take my dogs back for a wander along the shoreline

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Thanks for the reply @offerman, Yes that father and son team does sound like it could feasibly be what we saw, although I'd have to say that the planes would have to be flying really quite slowly, for it to be that. I'll have a look into them and see if I can find any other corroborating evidence, for them being on that route at that time.

WWW.SOMERSETLIVE.CO.UK

That is indeed a strange sighting, but what you have described does sound like it's the answer. I've always been into the subject but take a very sceptical view, looking for the answers in the more mundane explanations, a bit like yourself. There's usually an answer in 95% of cases, I suppose its the other 5% of unexplained sightings that keeps my interest in the subject.

Sorry to hear you've had such tough time the last few years with your parents'  health. You are a good man to be putting such effort into caring for them even though it can be awfully stressful. I lost my mum last year after she'd been constantly in and out of hospital with COPD for three or four years. It really can wear you down, when all you want is for them to have a better quality of life. Then my partner lost her Mum 6 months later with a stroke out of the blue so I understand how tough these times can be. Stay strong and enjoy life as much as you can when you get the chance. 

Looking at that video there's nothing to suggest anything unto ward, as the movements are slow and synchronized, there's no sudden acceleration of anything that would make you think it was anything other than an earthly event, more to the point I wonder why people think it must be planes..Anyway like you, I really don't put that into any category of EXTRA terrestrial..

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Could've been the starlink satellites?

Managed 30.3°C just before the wind veered to the West. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, kumquat said:

WWW.SOMERSETLIVE.CO.UK

Hi Kumquat,  

jeee it’s hot out there!! 

thank you very much for your kind words. I can easily throw all of those compliments Right back at you for what you’ve done as well.

I know what you mean after while it does grind you down somewhat.

even recently when mum was diagnosed with cancer I had an adverse reaction to the vaccine and I couldn’t walk properly for eight weeks and for about six of those weeks I couldn’t walk at all. so that was even more taxing as it was such a struggle to help her.

there are many out there who are suffering and have suffered so absolutely sympathise send all those people the The most strengths possible and positivity.

i’m so so sorry to hear about you and your partner losing your mums. Devastating does not even come close.

you are absolutely right in what you say about enjoying each day that you can and I follow that rigidly. I see mum nearly every day not just to help her with things but also just to enjoy things I’m going over there this afternoon to make her a barbecue when it cools down a touch. 

and I was taking her out for picnics previously although that’s really difficult at the moment. she has Addison’s disease which is a very rare disease and also severe asthma and arthritis.

she’s also requiring a new hip which we will have to go private due to the waiting list caused by the backlog of Covid but we will do a release of equity from the house as these operations don’t come cheap and are around 9 to £11,000 mark. We will have to go private as she is in excruciating pain and I feel she won’t survive if she has to wait a year being barely able to move as it affects so many other parts of her body due to the compensating effect. But we always consider ourselves lucky despite everything we’ve gone through as there are many others worse off than us in poorer countries and also the suffering in endeared  even in this country for some . 

we are hoping once he gets the hip done she will be able to get into the car easier and I can take her out on small local outings to coffee shops and picnic the things she enjoys doing.

like I said you are absolutely spot-on about making most of the time and I’m just so grateful she’s not stuck up north anymore and that she is nearer for the last eight years so I’ve been able to help. 

I wish you a good afternoon, the cloud is actually increasing here over Frome albeit very high cloud that could develop into something I’m not sure.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, kumquat said:

WWW.SOMERSETLIVE.CO.UK

Forgot to say, thanks for the link to that footage from Bath. 

The one I was referring to was film from a man in Frome but of the exact same objects you’ve shown there which are indeed the father and his son flying the planes.

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Hiya, remember that the "hordes" come down the A31 and then the A338 straight in to Bmth, when beaches like Canford Cliffs, Durley Chine, Boscombe, Shore Rd, Sandbanks and Studland are (ssssshhhhh, the locals hide out), b*****r that's done it, even more so Swanage . For some reason people SWARM to Durdle door, I think largely because of the national press.

Personal I skip the local beaches until the end of the holiday season, then they can be enjoyed, having lived here for most of my life, I do appreciate the beach, but not when it's full of hordes of people, and I love it in the winter..oh and of course I can take my dogs back for a wander along the shoreline

Good afternoon Dorsetbread,

I like the little place Canford.

you certainly gave me a good chuckle there about the locals hideout. Oh dear

you definitely have a lot of locals that’s for sure

i’ve been to Studland many times loved it over there equally swarmed before they built the new car park people used to park all the way up the road leading into the car park and all the way along the woodland/Forest Road there.

I do remember seeing photos from Durdall door last year on the same day as four people killed themselves from jumping off the rocks.

I completely understand you skipping the beaches until out of season.

You’re definitely a lucky person living in such a beautiful part of not only the country but the world.

apparently Shaw Road the one we always get jammed up in before turning off to go round the back and park gets packed from about 8:00 am! And there was me thinking brilliant we’ve arrived early at 10 o’clock as it takes nearly 2 hours to get down there sometimes.

had a lovely time last year in Pool Harbour trying out paddle boarding with my son as a birthday present .

so nice that is shallow and safe in there. Was a little bit sad as ambulance and police cars were everywhere as a poor gentleman had a heart attack out in the bay half an hour before we arrived.

when we arrived at shore Road yesterday there were police everywhere again this time blocking of people driving further along shore Road so again something else looked like it happened. 

enjoy the rest of your day. 

• Like 1

Posted

I don't know if this is the same aero team, but the LEDs on these Aerosparx planes look exactly like they could have been the culprit when viewed from a distance

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

31.1c here, waaaay to hot.

• Like 1