Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

Looks like the eye of this low is currently over Brittany. There's a good stream of moisture being pulled out of the relatively warm waters of Biscay to its S which I think can affect us tomorrow as it wraps and the low travels slightly NE, so I'm looking out for that, looks like heading towards Kent on the modelling so there's that!

Intensification right now over the South coast but heading east quickly and dying inland. Just hope the garden gets a good dowsing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Still seeing distant lightning from here very strange has nothing on the radar for miles around here

• Like 1

Posted

C-C fork lightning just seen slightly to my SE, with thunder. This may be a better attempt than that first band of fizzly out rain, we shall see.

Edited by DaveL
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, offerman said:

Hoping you’re right Jaytay

looking potentially good. 

Stood in a field looking South now. Flashing away sporadically in the distance. It is getting closer though.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, offerman said:

Still seeing distant lightning from here very strange has nothing on the radar for miles around here

Gonna go out for half an hour and regain my night vision. Be nice to just see some flashing skies to the south. Hated the heat this week but the skies at night were good and clear. It's a shame to not see Jupiter so bright in the East tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

Right now 

The flash to the left was followed immediately by one on the right

909AF504-75B9-4E77-B279-CE44AA73A607.png

1C2D4759-491E-4486-B390-EE9BDA8C877E.png

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, kumquat said:

Gonna go out for half an hour and regain my night vision. Be nice to just see some flashing skies to the south. Hated the heat this week but the skies at night were good and clear. It's a shame to not see Jupiter so bright in the East tonight.

I know what you mean Jupiter was very bright recently

did you see any shooting stars as I think there was a meteor shower over the last 3 to 4 days or so

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, offerman said:

Right now 

The flash to the left was followed immediately by one on the right

909AF504-75B9-4E77-B279-CE44AA73A607.png

1C2D4759-491E-4486-B390-EE9BDA8C877E.png

Good catch!

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, offerman said:

I know what you mean Jupiter was very bright recently

did you see any shooting stars as I think there was a meteor shower over the last 3 to 4 days or so

Not seen any shooters the last few nights (surprised not to see any sporadics!). Plenty of satellite action though including a few passes of ISS and a train of satellites (I guess starlink?) Weds night. I'll be looking out for Perseids in Aug. I see the Delta Aquariids are peaking in next few days, so yeah, would hope to see meteors at any time now with a clear sky.

• Like 1

Posted

It's nearby now, the odd flash within 5 miles or so, not much rain yet though: from video in the pitch dark so out of focus, still!

lightning2-20210724.thumb.jpg.48299d757588044794b1c46a15bed866.jpglightning20210724.thumb.jpg.ab53a77c66e1ebd0ccee4249729eecfb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Proven a tricky one to anticipate the alarm setting for, as the flow keeps pushing the storms ahead of the theta plume, causing them to ‘overshoot’ and die out rapidly.

Now hearing thunder 5-6 seconds after flashes here, gradually down from about 10 seconds nearly an hour ago!

• Like 1

Posted

Ah lovely timing! Popped to the loo and saw a flash roughly to the SW. Now up to 5 flashes and some notably elevated long rolling thunder. It’s been a long 11 months without lightning! 

• Like 1

Posted

This is why it’s infinitely better at night. Flashes recently to the SE and S of Warminster followed by elevated thunder. In the daytime I wouldn’t have seen or heard anything ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

I can hear a few distant rumbles   doesn't seem to be getting any closer here only seen one flash.

Edited by nettie

Posted

It’s got quite close several times both to the E/SE and S/SW but seems to lose energy as moving NE. Radar suggests this too.

Posted

Jtay,  well looks like you were correct about giving it a chance and staying up which is what I’ve done .

The south coast definitely had their share of some brilliant lightning which has now spread in land up to these parts breaking our two year decent storm drought . 

Some beautiful sheet lightning C+C  C+G  still ongoing 

brilliant loud thunder too and three cells around

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

It’s got quite close several times both to the E/SE and S/SW but seems to lose energy as moving NE. Radar suggests this too.

Scratch that it’s increasing in intensity and very loud thunder in the last few minutes.

Posted

Seeing alot more lightning now thunder is getting louder and longer too

So glad it woke me up 

• Like 1

Posted

I can't believe it's still going 

Me and my daughter were woken up at 3:25am  by a proper rib shaker and its still going  at 5:10  and the males of the house have slept through it all again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Sporadic thunder and lightning at the moment. Seems quite elevated.

Posted

Closest lightning and most booming thunder so far! Salisbury Plain is definitely aiding these storms as well as all the other ingredients! 

Also the lightning detector on Net Weather as well as Lightning Maps are not picking up everything.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning All, a useful 13mm of rain overnight, with the overnight low still hovering around where it’s been most of the week, and the surfaces outside drying rapidly, with little sign of heavy downpours in the immediate….