Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

Haven't  slept properly for a week now!  what's one more night going to matter at least this could be worth staying awake for fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like a nice wall of torrential rain heading north. Electric only on its Southern edge at the moment as far as I can see on the sferics sites.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Not a huge number of lightning strikes on the net weather radar currently but some impressive ppn intensity showing up. Hopefully it develops as it moves inland.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nights King said:

Not a huge number of lightning strikes on the net weather radar currently but some impressive ppn intensity showing up. Hopefully it develops as it moves inland.

There is actually alot being missed. Had a huge fork rip across the sky about 10 mins ago wasn't detected at all. Very odd.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dan Clow said:

There is actually alot being missed. Had a huge fork rip across the sky about 10 mins ago wasn't detected at all. Very odd.

I think that was the Wareham strike. Saw the flash from here, so checked the radar and that was the only one registered.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!

No bias intended... here in Plymouth T-storms have looked on the cards since 11am...but still nothing, despite very impressive cloud formations, especially this pm. Have been radar watching all eve.. painfully slow, and Plymouth thunder shield in full force.... but, surely, if everything to our south is heading N, NNW, or NNE then what could possibly go wrong? ??‍♂️

• Like 1

Posted

Sheet lightning seen to my east just now, and the rain has just started here. The only flash showing up that way on blitzortung is just south of Brighton, it could have been that I guess.

• Like 1

Posted

The rain band is weakening as it moves across the coast here in the Solent area, this often happoens in similar setups. A mere 0.2 to less than 0.4mm in over half an hour since it started, I think the radar is over-egging it and even then we are going 'green' already.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter- Cold, frost, snow. Summer- Warm and thundery.

This is ace. Like being abroad. Good gusts, heavy rain, sheet lightning, distant rumbles and a warm breeze. All being enjoyed under the lean too with a nice bottle of Shiraz. Perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

You are not 1,000,000 miles from me Jyay, 

do you think the chances of the explosive stuff behind the wishy-washy front will make it far enough in land or will they weaken off  as well

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, offerman said:

You are not 1,000,000 miles from me Jyay, 

do you think the chances of the explosive stuff behind the wishy-washy front will make it far enough in land or will they weaken off  as well

Not sure how far inland it will get, but it's definitely sparking up to the South looking at the sky. This mess is fizzling out on the radar, which is a good thing for once. 

Going to head out into the field when it stops to see what's heading this way from the South.

I wouldn't give up yet. The exciting stuff is potentially behind this initial band of rain, by the looks of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Wow that intense ppn died a quick death. Can the developments behind bring anything worthwhile further north in the West Country?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter- Cold, frost, snow. Summer- Warm and thundery.

Now for the proper stuff. It’s on the horizon.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, kumquat said:

Sad innit, when you're watching webcams for lightning 

I was thinking that earlier too

there’s me sat out back on me two chairs, feet up, wind blowing. Hoping for some luck 

• Like 1

Posted

Most sferics coming from south of paris MCS. Still plenty firing off coast of Dorset. Hope it can pick up some more energy.

• Like 1

Posted

Now this is getting weird!

Just heard thunder, saw distant  pink lighting but nothing on radar and very weak rain band  overhead ? 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, jtay said:

Not sure how far inland it will get, but it's definitely sparking up to the South looking at the sky. This mess is fizzling out on the radar, which is a good thing for once. 

Going to head out into the field when it stops to see what's heading this way from the South.

I wouldn't give up yet. The exciting stuff is potentially behind this initial band of rain, by the looks of it.

Hoping you’re right Jaytay

looking potentially good.