Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
11 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Hello all, 

Think this region is covered here.. it used to be. 
so Chichester ( Fishbourne Chichester)  has had a deluge today) lots of flooding still in the village. Anyone have any rainfall data  to give context just how much has fallen this afternoon ? 
ive looked and failed. Many thanks in advance 

1289904003_Screenshot2021-07-12220138.thumb.png.944b29fa4af129d8d0b1c8c87b378cca.png

Ended up with 77.6mm here. 70 of those mm fell in 5 hours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

1289904003_Screenshot2021-07-12220138.thumb.png.944b29fa4af129d8d0b1c8c87b378cca.png

Ended up with 77.6mm here. 70 of those mm fell in 5 hours.

Cheers and the average monthly rainfall for the area is? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Cheers and the average monthly rainfall for the area is? 

I'm not sure about other areas.

I combine Swanage and Bournemouth's Met Office averages , and then derive the average from that, as I live between those two stations. That average is 47.2mm.

flooded-railway-line.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

UK climate averages

Posted

Final daily total here up to midnight was 51.5mm, a new 8 (or more) year daily record and also a new hourly record of 18.2mm between 5pm and 6pm. The latter is from my Davis VP2 which underreads a bit in heavy rain so really, it would be a few mm more.

Edit: Have now gone back 12 years, can't find anything as high here. Previous record daily rainfall was as recent as 2nd. October 2020 with 48.6mm.

Edited by DaveL
Updated comparisons.

Posted

Some localised weather around here yesterday about 6pm. 

Virtually no rain here, but a torrential shower developed just to my east with a couple of rumbles, giving a downpour in Sidmouth with lots of surface water, manhole covers up etc.

image.thumb.png.5932139551e1ba5c8de088d1ed6bb221.pngimage.thumb.png.0b7aaf02b09716a84b9476a68f6138e0.pngimage.thumb.png.50a047f5327669ff06cf52d1f8bc5a9a.png
(borrowed from Facebook...)

A weather station just over 2 miles from me recorded 22mm in under an hour. The tiny stream that runs just the other side of the road from me is only about a mile long and responded to the rain, the main road about half a mile away had muddy water running down it.. but I recorded nothing! Just enough to dampen the ground slightly.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Early Stratus hopefully in the process of burning off

Same here although as the beachcam shows breaks are a appearing, after a mild night with a low of 13.1°C at: 06:00, currently 14.9°C and RH93%

image.thumb.png.ad71e17af2ce46de621e8e648ca9e86f.png

Posted

More fool me for hoping today would be the start of a dry spell. Several pimply sharp showers in the last hour.

Radar is very glitchy today and yesterday,  showing light rain/drizzle where there is none. It’s not evaporating from mid level cloud as happens sometimes, because some of the ‘echoes’ have been when clear sky is present.

• Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Radar is very glitchy today and yesterday,  showing light rain/drizzle where there is none. It’s not evaporating from mid level cloud as happens sometimes, because some of the ‘echoes’ have been when clear sky is present.

It's flying ants!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
41 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

More fool me for hoping today would be the start of a dry spell. Several pimply sharp showers in the last hour.

Hi Andy,

I noticed that as well about showing rain and drizzle. and I thought it must be evaporating before it hits the deck. I wonder if some of the echoes are due to fly ants but then the weather conditions don’t seem right for them to take off.

I also noticed where they were clear skies and yet still showing echoes on the radar so thanks for confirming that I’m not going mad!

Posted

Sorry, I just read Paul’s post after scrawling down further after I posted my message and it seems he’s confirmed it is flying ants. 

Posted

Hi Andy

getting pretty black over here, also some towering cumulonimbus developing too. 

7BE22A1C-FC70-4CCF-AC3F-4D6B5D382E3C.jpeg

658C2B87-2CA9-43D3-A8F5-3638EC5423A6.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

A short heavy shower 15 minutes ago

Posted
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Another beautifully summery cloudy day. stained glass window me ... I'm totally fed up!

We'll be fine from tomorrow. Maybe a cloudy blip on Thursday. Then we're sorted for a while. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, mike5900 said:

A short heavy shower 15 minutes ago

That's what you get when all the flying ants near you, pee at the same time!

Posted

Just arrived back from taking mum to hospital apt and what a lovely shadowy scene. Still some impressive clouds bubbling up even now ( especially towards North Bath Bristol direction .

501C2995-FD8B-493F-9396-91802B838002.jpeg

• Like 1